Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News Sucks... 5-11?

skinsfan4221977

Why do some of you guys care what these mediots think?

When a team has a good season and doesnt have important player losses in the offseason, they predict an increase in wins.

When a team has a good season and loses some important players in the offseason, they predict the same record.

When a team has a bad season and doesnt have important player losses in the offseason, they predict the same record.

When a team has a bad season and loses some important players in the offseason, they predict them to be worse.

One team is identifed as an overachiever in the previous season, and they rip them...note this team will have a perceived tougher schedule.

One team is identified as an underachiever last season and is praised...note, this team will have a perceived easy schedule.

Throw in a little hometown bias by some of these guys and you have the formula that these donkeys use.

:laugh: Well done.

Then so is anyone picking us to go 5-11...

its understandable picking us to go 5-11. we didnt address our pass rush needs, we have an unproven rookie QB, we had the 31st ranked defense, and our star runningback still has injury concerns.

do i think all of these will haunt us? no, but for others to see us finishing poorly isnt that far off.

the cowboys going 13-3 is friggin hillariously stupid. theyre 10-6 at best. but were 9-7 at best. and thats the very best.

If Dallas goes 13-3 I'd like to have my avatar to be a photo of Wade Phillips and the quote underneath to say "The Miracle Worker". Don't get me wrong, they could very well win the division but 13-3? Right....

Why is 5-11 unbelievable, we pulled it off last year? :paranoid: :)

I find it hard to believe we'll be 5-11 again. I'd be one very unhappy Skins fan as would all of us :(

HTTR

Thanks for saving me money on purchasing the magazine! I think I'll be saving a lot of money this fall..
I wish I would have read this first just bought it and it sucks,, it also has Jim Molinaro still on the roster(isnt he a cowpuke?).HOw can you predict in June?Its like wiping before you:pooh: doesnt make any sense at all.

its understandable picking us to go 5-11. we didnt address our pass rush needs, we have an unproven rookie QB, we had the 31st ranked defense, and our star runningback still has injury concerns.

do i think all of these will haunt us? no, but for others to see us finishing poorly isnt that far off.

Do you realize how rare it is for a team that finishes 5-11 to repeat that record the next season?

2004 - 2005:

Dolphins 4-12

Dolphins 9-7

Browns 4-12

Browns 6-10

Titans 5-11

Titans 4-12

Raiders 5-11

Raiders 4-12

Chicago 5-11

Chicago 11-5

Bucs 5-11

Bucs 11-5

49ers 2-14

49ers 4-12

2005 - 2006:

Bills 5-11

bills 7-9

Jets 4-12

Jets 10-6

Titans 4-12

Titans 8-8

Texans 2-14

Texans 6-10

Raiders 4-12

Raiders 2-14

Lions 5-11

Lions 3-13

Packers 4-12

Packers 8-8

Saints 3-13

Saints 10-6

Cardinals 5-11

Cardinals 5-11

49ers 4-12

49ers 7-9

That makes a grand total of 17 teams over the last two seasons that have finished 5-11 or worse...and 12 of them finished with better records than the season before by at least two games. Actually, only three of those 12 teams improved by as little as 2 games. The rest improved by an average of 5 games. None of them improved by just one game.

The Sporting News isn't just saying that the Skins won't have a winning season, they're saying that they won't improve one iota. Campbell having an entire offseason to practice and train, Portis returning healthy, Springs returning healthy, huge upgrades to the LB and secondary, and the #4 rushing unit in the entire league will generate not even one more win this season? That makes absolutely no sense, regardless of what team we're discussing. If they had predicted the Skins to go 7-9 or 8-8, not too many around here would be bothered by that. Picking them to once again go 5-11 is based more on laziness than reality.

And don't forget this:

1. Everything that happened last season, will happen again this season.

Just peruse last year's results, then use those same rankings and standings as the basis for your predictions on this year's results. It's a good idea to perhaps flip the 3rd place and 4th place teams in a couple of divisions, just to attach the pretense of research and thought to your piece. Oh, and feel free to predict your favorite childhood team to "be a surprise" this season and wrap up a playoff spot. I know one NFL writer who used this last tip for about three seasons straight with the Cardinals.

That email is starting to be really prophetic lol :laugh:

the cowboys going 13-3 is friggin hillariously stupid. theyre 10-6 at best. but were 9-7 at best. and thats the very best.

Ridiculously so lol..and it also helps invalidate their other predictions, including the one of the Skins lol :D

They picked the Skins to go 5-11 again and Dallas to win the division at 13-3. I mean, I can understand a neutral observer not predicting a miracle comeback, but 5-11 again?

Surely we'll have a better defensive line than that! (I don't factor in Portis being injured as much because I consider Betts to still be very good).

I have a greater issue with their picking Dallas as 13-3 than their picking us at 5-11.

Unfortunately, given that the Redskins didn't even address their most glaring weakness in free agency or the draft -- defensive line -- you have to expect columns like this. Campbell probably will improve, but the defense remains a big question mark.

All these sport magazines are the same when it comes to season predictions. They operate off the same rules, which are:

1: Nobody with a losing record can turn it around

2: Injuries that affected the team the previous season aren't important

3: Whichever team is the most popular will win it all, or get very close

4: Schedule strength doesn't matter

5: Draft grades are based solely on how many picks you have and your repuatation on drafting

6: All the division winners from the year before will repeat, with the exception of one team, maybe two

These sports writers have the vision of Mr. Magoo. Keep us under the radar, cuz "I told you so" will be sweet in '07, as it was in '05.

Unfortunately, given that the Redskins didn't even address their most glaring weakness in free agency or the draft -- defensive line --

The secondary was just as glaring a weakness as the defensive line...and the LB unit wasn't too far behind. In reality, defensive depth was arguably THE most glaring weakness on the Skins...and they addressed that rather well.

They picked the Skins to go 5-11 again and Dallas to win the division at 13-3. I mean, I can understand a neutral observer not predicting a miracle comeback, but 5-11 again?

Surely we'll have a better defensive line than that! (I don't factor in Portis being injured as much because I consider Betts to still be very good).

one of those dumbasses is a dallas fan for sure :dallasuck

Woohoo! Book it. 13-3. Why play now Skin's fans! Might as well start planning next years draft! Cowboys fans can start planning the playoff parties! :D

Seriously, anything is possible, including a 13-3 season for the Cowboys. Personally I think the division will be tight and we'll end up sending 3 teams to the playoffs again. I'm ready for the games to start so we can all see what our teams can do.

I wonder how close the guys at Sporting News were on last year's predictions.

TheFan

13-3 is the type of record the Colts and Pats have produced in recent seasons. See as much talent and experience on the Cowboys? :)

how about the coaching? wanna put Wade Phillips up there with Dungy or Belichick?

NO team in the NFC East is going to finish 13-3 because none of the teams are that good.

Period.

Thing is these preditions are worthless untill september .... the 5-11 prediction is one thing for the skins but Dallas ? 13-3?

I think Wade has a good chance of ruining that team and while 13-3 is possible so is 3-13 . Readng between the lines it seems they are trying to give Owens everything he wants upsetting the other WRs (i.e. Glenn), changing most things about Romo sits to pee moving more to a timing offence where his skills or limitations will shine through .

On defence they may have a great pass rush but they are moving even more so to a feast famine like defence ... they may make plays by getting to the QB or blowing up plays in the backfield but even with Newman back there they don't have the backfield to survive on an island for long .

The thing is why is everyone overlooking the Eagles the division winners and the team of the decade and arethe giants are certanly not down and out just yet ... not in june ...

Archived