Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should I stay or Should I go: Shawn Springs?

Piledriven

Just was wondering what everyone else thought about on the subject of veteran CB Shawn Springs. I personally think he is a good guy and a local guy (which I also like), but I just do not think we should hold on to him. Ever since he was in Seattle, he has had problems with injuries. Has he finished a season with us injury-free yet? I just think we are paying him an awful lot of money to be sitting out b/c of injury.I am not talking about these past few days of mini-camp, b/c I know that he had a child born and sometimes things like that should come before football. I am actually reffering to the previous season in which he would be inactive for games b/c of injury.

I do congratulate him on having his baby though.

Go Skins

:point2sky

I would pay Springs this year and hope he stays healthy. When he is health he is our best cover corner and one of our best blitzers. If he can't restructure his contract after this year then we can cut him and have a full draft and off season to replace him. I wouldn't let him go this year because we have some question marks regarding Rogers and Smoot. After this year we will know if we have a replacement for Springs in Rogers/Smoot to be our #1 CB. I think he will stay healthy, he and Portis will only be playing 3 quarters because we will have a 17 point lead by then. We'll let Roger/Smoot/Betts finish the games out.:fingersx:

Just was wondering what everyone else thought about on the subject of veteran CB Shawn Springs.

This has actually been discussed many times here and in the news since the end of last season. If you do a simple search here, or even a google search, you'll find quite a bit of information and speculation on the subject, including the reasons why he's still here at a high cap price.

my bad guys, I should have put this in another thread column...I'll check the threads before I start a new one from now on.

Anyways, I like your opinions guys... I have to agree with NoItAllRS and say that we should keep him this year b/c with Smoot back and with Rogers we are set at CB when Springs is healthy. Springs could start all the games and come in and out if he needs a break or something. I do think Rogers and Smoot are solid guys to have behind a healthy Springs... and if Springs goes down, then I think those guys can step up to the task...

I wish the FO would realize that if we had a dominant front 4 then it wouldnt matter who we had back there at CB... For example, Pat Fisher played under George Allen and wasnt the best CB in the world, but we had a great front 4 then and it helped Fisher out in coverage.

Once again, sorry for not putting this in another Springs thread already posted...my bad, wont let it happen again

Go Skins

Shawn Springs i believe wont be going anywhere. He'll be our starting corner come week one. This is the way i look at the situation if Springs plays well this year than it would be great. I think the skins next year would basically have to cut him because of his enourmous cap number or once again ask him to restructure which if he were to come off a good year is highly unlikley he would do that. But, if Springs is haunted by injuries this year or just flat out dosent play well (which i dont see happening) then obviously there would be no doubt we would cut him after the season because at the point he would have no leverage to not restrcutre with us or take the chance of another season not signing him because of his age and injury history. I still think Springs will have a big year for our defense.

Not to say that you have a bad point of view here, but this thread alone is going to get you flamed worse than a BK Whopper...

larryburgerking21ya.jpg

"I resent that. On the contrary, I believe this to be a debatable topic and a good way to waste time and company money. Next question, please."

I don't see us cutting him - not with his cap hit and the wasted space that would follow it. But with Macklin and now Butler, I think we're getting our ducks in a row in case he goes down with yet another injury. Hopefully our secondary won't miss a beat if that does happen.

Here's to him staying healthy and having a great season though - :cheers:

Not to say that you have a bad point of view here, but this thread alone is going to get you flamed worse than a BK Whopper...
He started a thread about signing Culpepper. I think he will be alright.

Hey Pile, shouldn't somebody be watching you? Can you get them, we need them to explain somethings to them for you.

shlabba dabbla hootie hohha dinga linga fooff!!!

Archived