Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many People think Carlos Rogers will show improvement this year?

DirtySkin21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I voted no and for these reasons:

Carlos Rogers had a horrible attitude last season and did some real dumb things such as dancing when he got burned by a receiver who ended up dropping an easy touchdown.

He was toasted by Galloway during the TB game.

He dropped a lot of easy INTs.

I think it may be more of a mental issue than anything else - which may or may not be 'cured' by working out physically with Darrell Green and Deon.

Carlos Rogers had a horrible attitude last season and did some real dumb things such as dancing when he got burned by a receiver who ended up dropping an easy touchdown.

I think it may be more of a mental issue than anything else - which may or may not be 'cured' by working out physically with Darrell Green and Deon.

I agree, it might be a mental issue, but it can be cured... He has just got to completely dedicate himself to getting better. the only way to get better is to practice at a speed faster then the actual game itself, that way when gametime gomes it's alot easier to make reads and just naturally play. He needs to concentrate and practice his hands and work on his hip fleixibility. but everything he is lacking can be cured. everyone knows CB's are WR's who can't catch so dont be so hard on a CB for not catching every pass thrown his way but i will bet anyone in here who wants to bet me that carlos will be a lot better this year because his supporting cast will be alot better and most normal humans play the same level that is being played around them so if the team is playing poor then carlos does the same because he gets down. I hope he works with darrell green and deion,I think it will help alot to ge tips from some of the best, and THE fastest man in nfl.

I voted no and here is why......., in the beginning during the 2005 draft Clos was NOT the CB the Redskins wanted and not the best rated CB in that draft. It was actually Antrel Rolle whom the Cardinals took with the pick right before us. So because of our need for a CB(after letting Smoot go by the way), we had to reach for Clos even though his straightline speed, top end speed and acceleration were questionable. Sure enough we have witnessed this over the years with Clos getting burnt over time and even the one actthat could have helped him...making interceptions...he was pretty subpar as well.

Enter last year when Carlos Rogers seemed to be always 10 yards off his WR (my belief is to both mask the deficiencies of a poor pass rush and his average speed), he seemed to me to lack confidence in himself and also might have actually hit his max potential (physically) as a developing CB, bcos his speed has not increased so far and his technique even marginally ok, is not meeting the potential of a top ten pick. Also after one particular game where Rogers even with the 10 yard cushion was still getting burnt and beat by WR's, Gregg Williams was asked why Rogers was giving that much cushion and GW said that he needed to work with Carlos on that, that he normally doesn't tell his CB's how far off from their WR's to line up, that he lets them line up based on how comfortable they are with covering that WR. Which tells me that Clos is uncomfortable, lacks confidence in what little physical abilities he does have and needs to work on the mental aspect of the game as well. Ideally Clos is built for a zone defense and maybe cover-2 defense as well.

In the end, I don't believe he will show any improvement this year from last year based on the projected lack of our ability to provide sufficient pass rush which would make Clos play further away from the line again and affect his ability to make plays on the ball, even after he might have seen the play develop but he is too far away to make a play bcos he is trying to keep his man in front off him. However, if he DOES improve I ill be greatly impressed and it sure will go a long way in justifying paying him top ten money and us keeping him longer as a valued member of this team.

Finis!

I voted no and here is why......., in the beginning during the 2004 draft Clos was NOT the CB the Redskins wanted and not the best rated CB in that draft. It was actually Antrel Rolle whom the Cardinals took with the pick right before us. So because of our need for a CB(after letting Smoot go by the way), we had to reach for Clos even though his straightline speed, top end speed and acceleration were questionable. Sure enough we have witnessed this over the years with Clos getting burnt over time and even the one actthat could have helped him...making interceptions...he was pretty subpar as well.

Enter last year when Carlos Rogers seemed to be always 10 yards off his WR (my belief is to both mask the deficiencies of a poor pass rush and his average speed), he seemed to me to lack confidence in himself and also might have actually hit his max potential (physically) as a developing CB, bcos his speed has not increased so far and his technique even marginally ok, is not meeting the potential of a top ten pick. Also after one particular game where Rogers even with the 10 yard cushion was still getting burnt and beat by WR's, Gregg Williams was asked why Rogers was giving that much cushion and GW said that he needed to work with Carlos on that, that he normally doesn't tell his CB's how far off from their WR's to line up, that he lets them line up based on how comfortable they are with covering that WR. Which tells me that Clos is uncomfortable, lacks confidence in what little physical abilities he does have and needs to work on the mental aspect of the game as well. Ideally Clos is built for a zone defense and maybe cover-2 defense as well.

In the end, I don't believe he will show any improvement this year from last year based on the projected lack of our ability to provide sufficient pass rush which would make Clos play further away from the line again and affect his ability to make plays on the ball, even after he might have seen the play develop but he is too far away to make a play bcos he is trying to keep his man in front off him. However, if he DOES improve I ill be greatly impressed and it sure will go a long way in justifying paying him top ten money and us keeping him longer as a valued member of this team.

Finis!

no offense but I don't agree at all. Some people over react so much. Carlos has not played THAT terrible. in-fact, I would say once he can hold on to INT's then he will greatly improve his game right there because he will learn to concentrate more. I think carlos will show this year what's up. everyone on the defense needs to know everyone is going to play their position. You can't blame carlos for last year, seriously, anyone else would of been the same tryin to cover and make up for everyone being out of positiion.

In addition to what I just said, won't he be playing Nickel behind Springs and Smoot?

No, not unless smoot beats him outright for the job and I don't see that happening, Smoot os HORRID with run support so I dont see him beating out rogers. Smoot will be the # 3 cb and play nickel most likely

I dont know if it will be a breakout season, but I have no doubt he will show improvement this year. Competition, and the memory of such a bad season last year will certainly spur that on.

Wasn't that what was said about about Clos the season before....the kid is a below average corner who at best is a number 2 CB we spent a top ten pick on....shame on our FO.

1 San Francisco Alex Smith QB Utah

2 Miami Ronnie Brown RB Auburn

3 Cleveland Braylon Edwards WR Michigan

4 Chicago Cedric Benson RBT exas

5 Tampa Bay Carnell Williams RB Auburn

6 Tennessee Adam Jones CB West Virginia

7 Minnesota Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

8 Arizona Antrel Rolle CB Miami

9 Washington Carlos Rogers CB Auburn

10 Detroit Mike Williams WR Southern California

11 Dallas DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy

12 San Diego Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland

13 New Orleans Jammal Brown T Oklahoma

14 Carolina Thomas Davis OLB Georgia

15 Kansas City Derrick Johnson OLB Texas

16 Houston Travis Johnson DT Florida State

17 Cincinnati David Pollack OLB Georgia

18 Minnesota Erasmus James DE Wisconsin

19 St. Louis Alex Barron T Florida State

20 Dallas Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State

21 Jacksonville Matt Jones WR Arkansas

22 Baltimore Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

23 Oakland Fabian Washington CB Nebraska

24 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers QB California

25 Washington Jason Campbell QB Auburn

26 Seattle Chris Spencer C Mississippi

27 Atlanta Roddy White WR Ala.-Birmingham

28 San Diego Luis Castillo DE Northwestern

29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller TE Virginia

31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson DT Southern California

32 New England Logan Mankins G Fresno State

it depends how the entire defense looks. rogers was bad last year but so was everyone else. i think the system is actually the one under the microscope. I think if the "system" proves it can dominate like it did in the past, then rogers can play w/i the "system". fact is everyone including sean taylor, looked bad in that system last year.

Yes especially since he has smoot being the third down nickel corner potentially coming back and even claiming his spot if he struggles. We have a lot of depth at the cornerback position. This will actually help carlos rogers and if not, it will help the team to know what kind of a player we have in him. Either he will sink or swim.

I voted no and here is why......., in the beginning during the 2005 draft Clos was NOT the CB the Redskins wanted and not the best rated CB in that draft. It was actually Antrel Rolle whom the Cardinals took with the pick right before us. So because of our need for a CB(after letting Smoot go by the way), we had to reach for Clos even though his straightline speed, top end speed and acceleration were questionable. Sure enough we have witnessed this over the years with Clos getting burnt over time and even the one actthat could have helped him...making interceptions...he was pretty subpar as well.

Finis!

It really sounds to me like you buy into all the pre-draft reports, combine stats, etc., that must have indicated that Rolle was a better CB than Rogers. But really, on the field, has any of that been an issue? You say that Rogers is best built for a zone or cover 2 scheme, yet his most mistake-free season thusfar occurred when we relied heavily on man-to-man.

So he had a bad combine (apparently...I don't know how he did because I don't really buy into that stuff)...if he's so slow, then tell me who else has burned him besides Troy Williamson and Joey Galloway? 95% of the corners in this league are uncomfortable guarding guys with speed like those two have.

It seems like you miss Smoot. Well, first of all, Smoot sucks at tackling. Like, he really, truly SUCKS at it. He's probably one of the worst tacklers in the league. Carlos, on the other hand, hits very hard for a corner. He is dependable in run support. Smoot, on the other hand, has to pray that his cover skills are good enough to keep the ball from receivers, because if they get the ball they are going to pick up a lot of YAC.

Also, I wonder if you noticed that when Springs returned last year, he was giving the same cushion that Carlos was giving. So either they were both being coached to give cushions (not necessarily by GW...maybe by Jerry Gray?), or they both are uncomfortable guarding both the #1 and #2 receivers on the same team (highly unlikely).

Finally, I would like to point out that we would not be having this conversation if Carlos caught 1/2 the balls that he could have. Instead, we are talking about how he got snubbed from the Pro Bowl. So, I ask you this: if Rogers put himself in the position to make that many interceptions, doesn't that tell you that he is at LEAST a decent corner? Many times, he's been in the right place at the right time but just failed to hold onto the ball. Being in the right place at the right time is half the game. Holding onto the ball is something that can be learned from experience.

Cliffs Notes:

1. Carlos' problems do not come from a lack of physical prowess.

2. Smoot is too 1-dimensional to be considered better than Carlos.

3. If Carlos finished half the plays that he put himself in position to finish, then everybody loves him.

While this thread is about Carlos; I do think that he and every DB will have a much better season (can't get much worse). I think that the coaches will place more emphasis on creating turnovers and being more aggressive in their play. The change in attitude from playing to not get beat deep to taking the ball away will make for improved performance from all DBs.

what if he catches like 8 INT but drops 5? is that considered a break out season?

If he's getting 13 cracks at interceptions, it means he's taking great angles on the ball and is definetly worth considering a "break out" season. We can only hope for this.

To the people who voted NO, can you state your reasons why? Or are you guys useless Cowboys trolls?

• Confidence issues. He never seems sure of himself, both on and off the field. When JimmiJo asked him a few weeks ago if the DB competition motivated him, he responded that it didn't, and that he would go out and play and compete regardless, adding that he plays like every play is his last down and that he could be cut at any time. Personally, I would have rather a corner drafted in the first round to think of himself as one of the best in the league. Or at least the conference. Or at least the division. Or at least the team?
  • When your team has an offseason that can be summed up with the words "Our secondary sucks", issue #1 may actually get worse.
  • On deep balls, he has a tendency to lose track of the ball and just flail his hands up in the air when he thinks the ball is coming. While this worked a few times, it also caused a few pass interference calls. And to be honest, I remember about 3 or 4 that could have been that weren't called.
  • He tackles well in the first 2 or 3 quarters, but as a previous poster mentioned, seems to lack the endurance to properly wrap up in the later portions of the game.
  • Deion Branch can catch tossed fish better than Carlos Rogers catches tossed footballs.
  • When (not if) Springs goes down, he's going to have to cover TO, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and other #1's that he simply can't run with step-for-step.
  • I really hate those yellow gloves.

Don't get me wrong. Carlos will have a better year. I think despite a secondary overhaul, he'll still win the #2 spot going into the season. Smoot's swagger will enevitably rub off on him, as will the confidence of Landry. We should also be much better on offense, so he'll be playing with a lead much more and therefore won't have to spend as much time looking for the tailback that just slipped through (again). But breakout year is a bit too much for me to expect from a player whose shown me too many weaknesses both physically and mentally. Until he exorcises those inner demons and stops dropping easy picks, he'll never break out of that #2 corner role.

Where are you guys comming up with Smoot being a bad tackler? He sucks at sacking the QB yes but some of you don't remember clearly the way Smoot played for us. Think about the bears game when he hurt his shoulder and was still making openfield tackles behind the LOS he won't lay the wood on anyone but he will get his man down.

To the people who voted NO, can you state your reasons why? Or are you guys useless Cowboys trolls?

What about this offseason do you think Rogers is going to be better? That he practiced catching balls? He wont catch any passes if he continues to give 10-15 yard cushions. This isn't madden just cause an offseason passes doesn't mean that he automatically gets exponentially better. I do think he will be improved, but that may be because Smoot will be starting and Rogers will be a nickelback. But to say he will have a "breakout" season, is a bold statement that I dont agree with. To be breakout he would have to be a no doubter pro bowl selection, and I don't see that happening.

that galloway torch wasnt rogers fault whatsoever. williams sent an 8 MAN BLITZ and not ONE redskin got through. first of all, thats pathetic, and i remember that play vividly. im pretty sure rogers was pressed up on galloway just to keep him close, and because the blitz failed, galloway just got behind him. i dont think there was a saftey deep either. that play was an abomination, when you dial up a free for all blitz and it doesnt work, every corner will get burned.

the stupid dance in minny was lame, no arguing there, but it was the first game of the season, and one of his worst. he definitely didnt play all games like that.

too many drops, but thats a mental thing. he barely held on to the one he did catch.

he'll be fine with some glue and a pass rush.

I Don't know how to make a Poll but I'm curious to see how many fans think Carlos Rogers is going to have a "break-out" season this year or prove that he was a "bust".

I personally think he might improve this year if he's hungry for it. I am skeptical on his hands because I have seen him drop a lot of CRUCIAL passes in crucial poins in the game. For some reason, I think with the CBdepth we have picked up that this will force him to prove himself and to work harder. I don't expect him to have 10 INT in season but I do expect him to catch the ones he does get his hands on.

Let me know what y'all think!

I don't think that it is possible for Carlos "No D" Rogers to get any worse. So I guess he has to improve.

However, I still think that by the end of the year "No D" will be reduced to the #4 CB. Springs, Smoot, Macklin and/or Butler will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

that galloway torch wasnt rogers fault whatsoever. williams sent an 8 MAN BLITZ and not ONE redskin got through. first of all, thats pathetic, and i remember that play vividly. im pretty sure rogers was pressed up on galloway just to keep him close, and because the blitz failed, galloway just got behind him. i dont think there was a saftey deep either

So what you're saying is that "No D" can't play man to man, because he lets WRs get behind him and gets torched.

I'm sorry my bad. And I thought Carlos was bad CB, but now I see that he's a great CB probably the best in the league. :doh:

:stupid:

Archived