Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many People think Carlos Rogers will show improvement this year?

DirtySkin21

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not sure if we'll get the opportunity to see if Rogers improves. I think Smoot will be the number 2 corner. He already knows the system and he excelled in it during his first stint. That would put Rogers as the nickel back. To me, playing the nickel won't gauge if he's gotten better. JMO.

Smoot hasn't done nearly enough to earn a starting job.

He played like **** in minnesota.

He'll earn his spot by his play on the field.

THANK YOU! people are so ready to give smoot the starting job but the fact is, he played horrid in minni and after the last few years, i'm not ready to give ANYONE a starting position until they prove they earned it. Haven't we learned anything? Smoot could very easily not be the same player we let go two years ago. But at least rogers is young and on the upside, smoot, well is a toss up.

THANK YOU! people are so ready to give smoot the starting job but the fact is, he played horrid in minni and after the last few years, i'm not ready to give ANYONE a starting position until they prove they earned it. Haven't we learned anything? Smoot could very easily not be the same player we let go two years ago. But at least rogers is young and on the upside, smoot, well is a toss up.

I'm not giving anyone the starting job. I'm predicting that Smoot will earn it. I think he is the same player that left two years ago. Minnesota used Smoot wrong. I could be wrong, but it seemed like thay had him covering the likes of Steve Smith and Chad Johnson, when Smoot is clearly a number 2 corner. That's why he was bad in Minny. But like I said before, I could be wrong. I didn't see film of every game Smoot played with the Vikes.

What if he doesn't make a single interception the whole season but:

• becomes one of the top cover corners in the game
  • has 10 forced fumbles
  • leads all CB's in tackles
  • has 20 pass defenses
  • has 8 sacks
  • has 20 QB hurries

Although important, INT's do not make a CB. They are just one aspect of the game!

I believe Carlos will show much over all improvement this season.:2cents:

At the expense of reading this 4 page thread. This made me laugh. CR can no where but up. He had an abysmal season last year and I can see no reason as to why his game is going to be vastly improved. He is clearly a weak link in our secondary.

At the expense of reading this 4 page thread. This made me laugh. CR can no where but up. He had an abysmal season last year and I can see no reason as to why his game is going to be vastly improved. He is clearly a weak link in our secondary.

You cannot just blame carlos for the whole teams doing last year? last time I played team sports I remember it takes just as many people to win a game as it does to lose,and that is the WHOLE team. Last season, we we re plagued by injuries and were trying to learn a new almost everything. What do you expect? you expect carlos to stand out and be the ONLY player to perform when the WHOLE secondary and LB's and D line were lacking? I'm sorry but you have to give him some credit. He played great his first year, other than he dropped a few balls that should have been caught.

i dont think anyone on D had a good season last year. that being said how you pick on one guy when everyone was bad and the year before carlos was a rookie.

to answer the original question everyone across the board is going to look better this year(i hope). this year will tell us a lot about carlos and he knows it.

Smoot will not start over Rogers unless Carlos is playing worse than he did last year. NOTE TO THE SMOOT-LOVERS: he was not very good in his final year here under GW. He is WELL below average in run support. In fact, if a runningback comes his direction, you have to basically flip a coin as to whether or not Smoot will actually make the tackle. Oh yeah, and don't forget that he gets injured half the time he tries to tackle somebody because his frame is so small and his form is so bad.

And for all the glorification of his cover skills...he still gets burned. Not quite as many times as Carlos did last year, but enough for me to confidently state that his cover skills are overrated. He's no Shawn Springs.

GW demands that his corners be big and physical. Smoot is neither. So if you think Smoot will start over Rogers, I would just quiet down so you don't look so foolish once the season starts.

Rogers is not perfect, but his flaws are greatly exaggerated by the casual fans who can only remember dropped interceptions. People say he got burned by Troy Williamson...well, Williamson dropped a TD against Rogers, and Williamson only ended up with 77 yds that game. If Williamson is supposedly the type of player that Carlos has such a hard time covering, then he did pretty damn good in only giving up 77 yds.

You guys only see the dropped INTs and the times he gets burned. You don't see the times he plays well, because the TV doesn't show that. Also, the amount of times he gets burned seems like an inordinate amount to you because you don't scrutinize other teams around the league as much as you do the Redskins. You see Champ Bailey highlights on Sports Center, but they don't show the numerous times throughout the season where Bailey got burned. You don't see the interceptions that Bailey dropped.

and carlos is ONLY going into his 3rd year. That is the problem with half of the fans here. If a player doesnt player like the best player in the league they want to get rid of him and start to find a new guy instead of trying to stick with and groom talent. That's why the redskins have let go of so many good players that have gone to another team and flourished. IT's rediculous. I hope smoot does good but to say he will be better than Los' is almost insane. Smoot has a big mouth and talks alot and until he can prove to me he can cover then he is still smoot the big mouth to me. At least Carlos doesn't run his mouth and at least Carlos can tackle. If we didn't have carlos we would be in one hell of a mess. Would you of rather the redskins of drafted "pacman" jones? and then we would have had a player who isnt even palying this season. some of you people. just don't realize a players worth to the team because you see a few bad plays from the guy.

Smoot will not start over Rogers unless Carlos is playing worse than he did last year. NOTE TO THE SMOOT-LOVERS: he was not very good in his final year here under GW. He is WELL below average in run support. In fact, if a runningback comes his direction, you have to basically flip a coin as to whether or not Smoot will actually make the tackle. Oh yeah, and don't forget that he gets injured half the time he tries to tackle somebody because his frame is so small and his form is so bad.

And for all the glorification of his cover skills...he still gets burned. Not quite as many times as Carlos did last year, but enough for me to confidently state that his cover skills are overrated. He's no Shawn Springs.

GW demands that his corners be big and physical. Smoot is neither. So if you think Smoot will start over Rogers, I would just quiet down so you don't look so foolish once the season starts.

Rogers is not perfect, but his flaws are greatly exaggerated by the casual fans who can only remember dropped interceptions. People say he got burned by Troy Williamson...well, Williamson dropped a TD against Rogers, and Williamson only ended up with 77 yds that game. If Williamson is supposedly the type of player that Carlos has such a hard time covering, then he did pretty damn good in only giving up 77 yds.

You guys only see the dropped INTs and the times he gets burned. You don't see the times he plays well, because the TV doesn't show that. Also, the amount of times he gets burned seems like an inordinate amount to you because you don't scrutinize other teams around the league as much as you do the Redskins. You see Champ Bailey highlights on Sports Center, but they don't show the numerous times throughout the season where Bailey got burned. You don't see the interceptions that Bailey dropped.

I disagree. Smoot left, because he had such a great 2004 season. He was capitalizing on his value, it wasn't going to be higher, and he wanted a chance to be a number 1 corner. Everything else is peachy.

80% / 135 people think he'll have a breakout this season, based off of what?

His inability to catch/turnaround and see the ball while in air/ or cover? Yes I'm a little bitter with Rogers, if we would have kept Smoot & paid him his money we'd have either Merriman or Ware in our LB core. Yep we passed on both of them to draft Rogers.

I am a fan and want him to do well but to expect him to break out all of a sudden is a huge leap with him showing little if anything to this date. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the nickle back at some point in the season.

ps. I hope he proves me wrong and is a pro bowler.

You cannot just blame carlos for the whole teams doing last year? last time I played team sports I remember it takes just as many people to win a game as it does to lose,and that is the WHOLE team. Last season, we we re plagued by injuries and were trying to learn a new almost everything. What do you expect? you expect carlos to stand out and be the ONLY player to perform when the WHOLE secondary and LB's and D line were lacking? I'm sorry but you have to give him some credit. He played great his first year, other than he dropped a few balls that should have been caught.

Hey bro, I see no where in the thread you quoted the poster blaming the skins awful defense on Carlos Rogers, he merely stated Rogers was bad and there is a lot of truth in that. "Great his first year" are you serious? What made him great? his 2 picks or his 2 passes defended? or the drop against Seattle that had TD written all over it and probably puts us into the NFC Championship game....A GREAT player would have made that play.

The defense was awful from the line to the secondary last year, which would highlight everyone's flaws. Rogers actually improved over the previous season but I see nothing that says he will break out this year.

For all of you that think rogers wont be better this year, please wait. That's all i'm saying, give him a chance to prove himself before you bash the hell out of him in only going into his 3rd year. AS humans, you know we do learn from our mistakes, and actually I wasn't saying he was blaming the whole thing on rogers but I did say that the fact the WHOLE defense played bad last year had something to do with his play. LIke most people, they play and compete at the level that is played around them. If your teammates suck, most likely you wont do any better. You expect him to stand out when everyone else can't do their job? give me a break

He hasn't proved anything yet and I don't think he's going to prove anything this year.

I am keeping this attitude this year because I am fed up with build me up and then our Skins look like crap. Therefore, if I know they are going to do that to me I will be surprised when they actually look good.

He knocked down a lot of passes last year and made a lot of tackles. If he continues to get more comfortable, be in possition and gets to know his opponents a little more, it should be a good year. I'll stay optimistic about a kid in his third year having a break out. With PP healthy, LL coming around, the LB corp being improved and holding down the line, he shouldn't have to play off WRs so much and can hit them off the line. I like Carlos.

i expect carlos to show why he was picked first round, this year. many forget, last year, he had no help in the secondary, and no rush from def line. it was him and taylor playing defense, and a bunch of castoffs assisting. he will be able to concentrate on his position this year, and should be quite the improvement. we have smoot, and springs, with taylor and a great rookie in landry. two really adequate subs in macklin, priloux, and butler. a good upgrade from last year.

I also really do believe in the fact if the secondary does it's job and doesn't create oppertunities for opponets to catch the ball then that gives the LB's a and D-line more time to make a sack or rush and force a incompletion. Coaches preach this day in and day out, We also have to create turnovers, however we can, we hae got to be like the bears.

Archived