Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seat Belt question

Maxito

I have been getting conflicting answers on this law.

I know that people in the front has to wear a seatbelt at all times. My question is Do people riding in the back seat of the car are required to put on a seat belt?

If you're in the front seat with your seatbelt on and the person sitting in the seat behind you doesn't have their seatbelt on, chances are YOU and the human projectile behind you will be seriously injured in a high speed collision. Food for thought.

This lists what seats are covered in each state.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/restrain3.html

DC all seats

MD and VA front seats.

Now I'm pissed off...

1Arkansas and Wyoming reward belt use by reducing the fine for the primary violation by $10

I got pulled over for speeding in Arkansas and by the time the cop came up to my window, I had my license and registration out but I took off my seat belt to get to my wallet... He put no for seat belt use... now I know why...

There should be no reason not to wear a seat belt. It doesn't matter if your in the front or back, just buckle up.

I agree, however, you should be given the right to do so. This law is infringing upon our rights to choose. It doesn't hurt anyone to not wear it. I'm strongly opposed to the law in general but wear mine when/if I feel like wearing it. It's pretty confusing being from a state (SC) where it's legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet but you can't drive a car without a seatbelt....how much sense does that make? I guess just another way to make easy money with fines.

There should be no reason not to wear a seat belt. It doesn't matter if your in the front or back, just buckle up.

I always buckle up, I am tired of hearing people in the backseat telling me that they don't have to have them on. Either way I force them to put them on.

In VA, they can not pull you over just for not having your seat belt on, but they can in MD and DC.

Unless the law changed in the past six or so years that's not true. I've been a passenger in cars that were pulled over in Va because the driver didn't have his seatbelt on.

My friend's sister was in the back seat without a seatbelt.

There was an accident in the highway and she was ejected right out the open sun roof and killed. The doctors told her parents that she probably would have died even if they didn't have a sun roof due to the impact of her head on the roof of the car, but if she had been wearing her seatbelt she wold not have been injured at all.

If you're in the front seat with your seatbelt on and the person sitting in the seat behind you doesn't have their seatbelt on, chances are YOU and the human projectile behind you will be seriously injured in a high speed collision. Food for thought.

Since basically, in a sudden deceleration, it means that you are the person behind you's airbag.

There was an accident in the highway and she was ejected right out the open sun roof and killed. The doctors told her parents that she probably would have died even if they didn't have a sun roof due to the impact of her head on the roof of the car, but if she had been wearing her seatbelt she wold not have been injured at all.

Damn that's pretty harsh... not the fact that she was killed, but the fact that the doctors told the parents that she would have not been hurt if she was wearing her seat belt...

Imagine having to live the rest of your life thinking "what if I had just put more emphasis on making her wear her seatbelt?"

My position, re: Motorcycle helmet laws.

I think everybody should have the right to ride without a helmet.

If the bike has a special license plate that signifies that "Owner carries $500K in medical insurance".

I could see the same rule for seat belt use.

I'm sure we could find thousands of examples where this has happened. The Princess Diana death was the same. The bodyguard wearing a safety belt survived even though he was in the front seat. Everyone else died including those in the back. There's little doubt they would be alive today if they'd been wearing seat belts.

There's a great UK PSA I saw many years ago that shows a kid in the back seat unbelted, flying forward in an accident, headbutting his mother in the back of the head. He just gets a headache and a bloody nose. Her head is turned to pulp. The attached link is awful quality and doesn't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-1gZmDzckU

Damn that's pretty harsh... not the fact that she was killed, but the fact that the doctors told the parents that she would have not been hurt if she was wearing her seat belt...

Imagine having to live the rest of your life thinking "what if I had just put more emphasis on making her wear her seatbelt?"

I think they asked.

They were not driving the car - she was travelling back to college with friends.

I think they asked.

They were not driving the car - she was travelling back to college with friends.

Yeah well, I always wear my belt, because my parents would slam on brakes out of the blue if I wasn't wearing it and I'd hit my head on the dash or seat... My parents were tricky like that... It wouldn't happen when they first noticed, it would happen 5 or 6 miles down the road when I was enjoying a game of Tetris on my Gameboy, not paying attention...

hmm... that never crossed my mind...

must rethink entire life philosophy.

Seat belt is only required when the car is moving. Controlling a moving vehicle while attempting a satisfying interaction with a naked hot chick is not likely to achieve good results.

Seat belt is only required when the car is moving. Controlling a moving vehicle while attempting a satisfying interaction with a naked hot chick is not likely to achieve good results.

hmm... i see your point. i must further study this phenomenon. first i shall require naked hot chicks.

I check my back mirrors to see if people have put on their seatbelts. If I notice they haven't, I yell "seatbelt check!" I then swerve the car violently at 15 mph and slam on the brakes. My car is lowered with a stiffer suspension setup so the effects are impressive. It works everytime.

Archived