Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The forgotten safety.........

Pete

So, what's happening with Pierson Prioleau.He's still listed on the roster, and I haven't heard a single thing about him in some time..................... unless I missed something which is not at all impossable.

With 8 years in the league, and turning thirty this year, does he even have a chance of making the team if fully recovered. Is he even needed at this point with Fox on the squad, and the drafting of Landry. The team was pretty high on him, as he was to split time with Arch last season, and had been a very solid teams player before the injury. Seemed like a team player from what I could tell.

Williams has a habbit of not starting rookies, so I don't expect to see Landry right off the bat unless he sets the football world on fire. While Fox did a good job, I think Prioleau was a better all around player prior to his injury. Problem is, at his age, does he have it to come back.

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=6179

2005: Prioleau played in 15 games, with six starts, and both of the Redskins' playoff games. He logged 39 tackles (30 solo), a career-high two sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He also had 21 special teams tackles, fourth-best on the team.

* In his first game as a Redskin, vs. Chicago in Week 1, he tied for the team-high in tackles with eight (five solo).

* In Week 14 at Arizona, he led the team in tackles with seven (all solo), recorded one sack of Kurt Warner, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

* In the Redskins' 17-10 Wild Card win over Tampa Bay, he recorded five tackles (four solo) and one pass defended.

I've felt bad for the guy since opening night last year.

I watched him all through his career at VT, and honestly never really saw him as a future NFL starter. But toward the end of 2005, it sure looked to me like the man had found his niche here and earned the starting job heading into 2006.

I've watched tapes of the last few games he played, and Pierson was solid. Had he not blown out his knee on the opening kickoff against the Vikings, I'm still convinced that the team's plan was to use both he and Archuleta in some kind of hybrid S/LB role last year, with AA getting the bulk of the blitzing and box work, and PP getting the bulk of coverage duties. I would have loved to have seen that.

At this point my hope is he'll be recovered enough to be start again to begin this year, so they can bring Landry along slowly and work him into the rotation by degrees, until such time as he's just too good to keep off the field.

His play at the end of '05 kind of went unnoticed given how well the whole unit was playing, and given the highlight reel guys like Taylor and Marcus were putting together. If Pierson is healthy, though, and comes out and plays this year like he did then, I do believe he's going to surprise some people.

Agree wholeheartedly. Prioleau did great in our good run at the end of '05. I recall being so impressed that year with all these good DBs coming out of nowhere. Clark jamming up the early downs and Prioleau the nickle safety. Walt Harris was nails that year, too.

Hope Pierson can come back and contribute for us again, it sounds like he's on track.

Prioleau's injury was quite severe. I personally would love to have him start the season and have Landry mature into the SS position but I do believe that his injury was a catalyst for Landry's drafting.

Yeah, Last I heard PP was still rehabbing so we will still have to see how he comes back from his knee injury. Its not only a physical thing but a mental thing. You have to trust your knee again. So we'll just have to wait and see. I hope he comes back and grooms Landry to eventually take over. :D

I agree with walking deadman - Reed is probably the odd-man out. I've been saying that Pierson will be the starter for at least week 1 . . . We actually have one of the deepest secondaries that i can remember when you think about it. I listed the depth in another post, and it's definitely impressive - Sean, Pierson, LaRon, Vernon, Stoutmire, Shawn, Carlos, Smooty, David Macklin, Ade Jimoh.

My goal has always been to be back by mini-camps and OTA workouts in the spring. Since I had the injury really early in 2006, my chances of making it back for 2007 are better than if the injury had taken place late in the year.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=761

Prioleau is one of about 4-5 defensive players returning that have faced significant offseason challenges in getting back in shape and ready to play.

I think the health issue is one reason why the Redskins resigned Omar Stoutmire from New Orleans as he knows the system and started 14 games last year for the Saints, going to the NFC title game.

Landry may not start right away but the question then becomes WHICH veteran starts in his place.

I think Prioleau will have the same role he did two years ago when Ryan Clark was the starter, he will play in some "packages" and have a solid impact on special teams.

I completely agree. He'll be a special teams standout and a package guy.

I think going into the season PP will own the #1 spot, just because we all know thats how GW handles rookies. Later into the season, we'll see.

When ST came into the league, was he backing up Andre Lott/Matt Bowen. I'm pretty sure he was. But remember how in his first game ever in the NFL (HOF game) ST picked off 2 passes with one of them being for TDs?

So, what's happening with Pierson Prioleau.He's still listed on the roster, and I haven't heard a single thing about him in some time..................... unless I missed something which is not at all impossable.

With 8 years in the league, and turning thirty this year, does he even have a chance of making the team if fully recovered. Is he even needed at this point with Fox on the squad, and the drafting of Landry. The team was pretty high on him, as he was to split time with Arch last season, and had been a very solid teams player before the injury. Seemed like a team player from what I could tell.

Williams has a habbit of not starting rookies, so I don't expect to see Landry right off the bat unless he sets the football world on fire. While Fox did a good job, I think Prioleau was a better all around player prior to his injury. Problem is, at his age, does he have it to come back.

i think it all depends on his injury recovery. if hes back to his old form, i wouldnt be shocked at all to see him start the season with taylor. and if hes fully healthy, he'll definitely be the 3rd saftey once landry is ready to go.

If anybody I would think would be on the bubble would be Reed Dougherty (sp).......

Man, I really hope we can still have a spot for Reed. I really like this guy after reading an article about him last year. But its not looking good especially because we have 8 safeties on our roster right now, maybe practice squad?

I talked to Pierson last December, I think, and he said that everything was going great with his knee, he was off the brace way ahead of schedule, and said he was 100% on track to get ready by OTAs and minicamp.

If you look at the video on Redskins.com of the first official workouts, there are several shots of Pierson working out with the rest of the DBs, so it looks like he's at least able to get up to that level of work. If things went as well as he said they were going in December, I'm totally confident he'll be ready for the season opener.

Yeah, Last I heard PP was still rehabbing so we will still have to see how he comes back from his knee injury. Its not only a physical thing but a mental thing. You have to trust your knee again.

That's a HUGE hurddle. For anyone who hasn't blown out a knee, they'll never empathize. You got this stuff crunching around in your knee, that the doc tells you is just scar tissue. And the least little movement of your knee freaks you out. So I'd be very surprised if he makes any major contributions. It's possible physically, we just don't know where he'll be mentally. Esp difficult for a DB to do with all the turns and twists that come with the position.

Archived