Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

No, I read your post. I think you are the one who is confused here. First of all, I don't know how you can say "I bought my origanal 360 two years ago. It has paid itself off and thensome in those two years" and "The 360 i bought over two years ago" if the Xbox 360 has only been on the market FOR 18 MONTHS!!! So how have you owned one for "over two years"?

Then you say: "Then i trade it back, pay 210, and I have another BRAND spankin new 360, and a 120 gig hard drive to boot? Yeah, doesnt quite seem to add up to 610 like you claim." Um, $400 for your first 360 + $210 for your new one = $610! As I said in my first post, "MS is raping you and you don't even notice!" Sorry to break the news to you man but you have now paid $610 to own a 360 for AT THE MOST a year and a half.

Ok, 18 months, a year and a half. I have had it since the day it dropped. Feel better? Like i said i got my moneys worth of the old system. You can ignore that all you want, its plain and simple fact. I feel the money i origanally spent on my first 360 was paid back in full in gamer experience and other options the xbox provided. PAID IN FULL. That is why you invest in these systems isnt it??? To get your moneys worth in enjoyment??? Seems i came out on top, and you... still choose to ignore facts in this conversation. You fail to recognize the intangable, the 18 month gamer experience that i recieved ( the reason people buy these systems in the first place) and was repaid by my xbox with. And I have 140 gigs of harddrive space, i was able to keep my origanal 20 gig hard drive. So you can addup dollars to make your statements hold any merit, but again you fail to realize that the origanal money I spent on a 360 was repaid to me already.

For the price you can't go wrong with 360. Also, if you like playing games online, 360 is the way to go, Playstation Online servers blow.

Again, not true. The PSN online servers are way better than the 360s because THEY ACTUALLY EXIST. Games like Resistance and Motorstorm have dedicated online servers with almost no lag even when you have 40 people playing on a map at once. No 360 games have dedicated online servers, instead, the 360s themselves host the games. Overall the Xbox Live service is better right now but this could change very quickly especially considering that the PSN uses dedicated servers for many of its feature games.

*enter pokerpacker*

So yea Nintendo is the God of systems, Twilight Princess is the greatest game ever....and oh yea Mario RPG ROCKED!

;)

you got me down pretty good except for the zelda thing, i still haven't played it (i don't have a wii yet, i realised my TV is probably too small to be able to really enjoy it)

Again, not true. The PSN online servers are way better than the 360s because THEY ACTUALLY EXIST. Games like Resistance and Motorstorm have dedicated online servers with almost no lag even when you have 40 people playing on a map at once. No 360 games have dedicated online servers, instead, the 360s themselves host the games. Overall the Xbox Live service is better right now but this could change very quickly especially considering that the PSN uses dedicated servers for many of its feature games.

How the **** are you going to tell me, I have played on Playstation servers the whole time I've played video games, and they always lag, glitch, and a bunch of other BS. That is the exact reason I went to 360, you dont have BS problems like that.

I also saw you talking about Ripping Off people. When a video game console is selling for $600, you dont call that a rip off. So what, I dont have wireless connection, or ble ray, I still have games that play in HD, and I still have my 360. So bascially, you're willing to pay $200 more for an exta 40 gig HD? ****, I can go buy a Elite right now for 480, have twice the size of the $600 PS3, and what all am I losing out on, Wireless and Blu Ray? I can go buy a wireless connection for the 360, that might run up to $50. So now I've spent around, 530, I still spent less, and the only thing im missing out on is Blu Ray? I mean ****, i still have HD games for the HD TV, do I really care whether its blu ray or not? Hell no, I have my HD, thats all I need.

I am willing to pay $50 a year for online services, knowning Microsoft will take care of the servers, than having old school used up servers that Playstation uses.

As I said, for the price 360 > Ps3

Am I in the minority because I don't get caught up in the 360 vs. PS3 debates? I bought my PS3 because I have had nothing but positive experiences in using both the PS1 and 2. It was a hefty price for the PS3, but I have been more than pleased with my purchase. Of course when comparing games the 360 reigns supreme. However, will that be the case about a year from now? I only expect the PS3 to get better with the games, and currently I am satisfied with the titles that I have (NHL 2k7, Motorstorm, Resistance, and College Hoops 2k7). I don't play my console all that much because of my work schedule, but when I do, I thoroughly enjoy playing the games that I have. It's hard to get a valid opinion on which console is better. There are too many fanboys with skewed viewpoints, and due to this, they have a hard time making any sort of objective opinion. Like I said, I bought my PS3 because of just flat out being loyal to Sony due to the previous consoles I had. I am pleased with my purchase, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to buy....

Ok, 18 months, a year and a half. I have had it since the day it dropped. Feel better? Like i said i got my moneys worth of the old system. You can ignore that all you want, its plain and simple fact. I feel the money i origanally spent on my first 360 was paid back in full in gamer experience and other options the xbox provided. PAID IN FULL. That is why you invest in these systems isnt it??? To get your moneys worth in enjoyment??? Seems i came out on top, and you... still choose to ignore facts in this conversation. You fail to recognize the intangable, the 18 month gamer experience that i recieved ( the reason people buy these systems in the first place) and was repaid by my xbox with. And I have 140 gigs of harddrive space, i was able to keep my origanal 20 gig hard drive. So you can addup dollars to make your statements hold any merit, but again you fail to realize that the origanal money I spent on a 360 was repaid to me already.

I'm glad that you are able to rationalize your money spending and I am glad you are enjoying your 360. However, your initial post was writen in order to repudiate Disco Dave's assertion that "You 360 guys with your add ons are funny as hell. When you add all the add ons it comes out to being about the same price as the PS3." However, all you have done is endorsed his conjecture that the 360 is all about hidden costs. Your 360 investment has now become MORE EXPENSIVE than buying a premium PS3 and yet somehow you can't see this.

You rationalize it by saying that you recieved a great 18 month experience. Console generations last 5-6 years on average. So we are only 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through this cycle and you already have been forced to pay another $210 to get a system that wouldn't "act up" had an extra 120GB of HD space and a black finish. There is no way to argue that this isn't a hidden cost. This is what Disco Dave was trying to say and you proved him right as, in your case, "When you add all the add ons it comes out to being about the same price as the PS3" ($610 vs. $600). But for some reason you still don't understand this.

Am I in the minority because I don't get caught up in the 360 vs. PS3 debates? I bought my PS3 because I have had nothing but positive experiences in using both the PS1 and 2. It was a hefty price for the PS3, but I have been more than pleased with my purchase. Of course when comparing games the 360 reigns supreme. However, will that be the case about a year from now? I only expect the PS3 to get better with the games, and currently I am satisfied with the titles that I have (NHL 2k7, Motorstorm, Resistance, and College Hoops 2k7). I don't play my console all that much because of my work schedule, but when I do, I thoroughly enjoy playing the games that I have. It's hard to get a valid opinion on which console is better. There are too many fanboys with skewed viewpoints, and due to this, they have a hard time making any sort of objective opinion. Like I said, I bought my PS3 because of just flat out being loyal to Sony due to the previous consoles I had. I am pleased with my purchase, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to buy....

I feel you dude. Except I went with a Nintendo Wii. Before playstation I had a nintendo and a super nintendo. I forgot what video games were all about. The experience, not whose **** don't stink. All this bickering brought me down on the whole console thing. But the Wii is keeping my spirits up with fun entertainment.

Man I wouldn't even say that the PS3 is a "video game system" it is more of an entertaining unit. That thing is loaded with all kinds of stuff. To compare the PS3 to the 360 is like trying to race a car vs a boat.

But they both are good buys, but I wouldn't by a 360 right at this moment becasue the X-Box 2 is schedule to come out in like a year or two, so I'll just get a PS3. But the Wii is more fun then both of them.

IConsole generations last 5-6 years on average.

Man, I dont know where you buy our consol's, I have never had a consol last me that long. Not my origanal Nintendo, not my PS1 or my PS2 (burnt though 3 PS2's) maybe... maybe my nintendo 64, my OG Xbox lasted me about two maybe two and a half years before i had to buy another one.

If the PS3 would have come out 18 months ago, and I would have bought it for 600 bucks, I would still be trading it in. Im hard on my systems. The PS3 would have accumulated as much dust, would have been left on just as much, played by as many people (my 360 is played by my girl, her son, and a couple of friends when im not playing it.) It was gonna go, and so would a PS3 in the same environment. The only difference is that i have had 18 more months of gaming because the PS3 wasnt out yet. Id be doing the same thing with a PS3 today. The only way that i will feel like im getting jipped is after 18 months of sale, they offer a sale where trading in an old PS3 will get you 250 off of a new one. Ill admit it, when the price drops Ill buy a PS3. But if you factor in how much I had to pay for all THREE of my PS2's (i told you i was hardon systems) then the PS3 doesnt seem like such a deal. I hope they last longer then two of my PS2's did.

Man, I dont know where you buy our consol's, I have never had a consol last me that long. Not my origanal Nintendo, not my PS1 or my PS2 (burnt though 3 PS2's) maybe... maybe my nintendo 64, my OG Xbox lasted me about two maybe two and a half years before i had to buy another one.

If the PS3 would have come out 18 months ago, and I would have bought it for 600 bucks, I would still be trading it in. Im hard on my systems. The PS3 would have accumulated as much dust, would have been left on just as much, played by as many people (my 360 is played by my girl, her son, and a couple of friends when im not playing it.) It was gonna go, and so would a PS3 in the same environment. The only difference is that i have had 18 more months of gaming because the PS3 wasnt out yet. Id be doing the same thing with a PS3 today. The only way that i will feel like im getting jipped is after 18 months of sale, they offer a sale where trading in an old PS3 will get you 250 off of a new one. Ill admit it, when the price drops Ill buy a PS3. But if you factor in how much I had to pay for all THREE of my PS2's (i told you i was hardon systems) then the PS3 doesnt seem like such a deal. I hope they last longer then two of my PS2's did.

I understand what you're saying, I myself have had a number of consoles die on me. However, I think that this entire conversation really highlights a major advantage of the PS3 and that is the quality of workmanship that goes into it. PS2s and 360s are certainly prone to failure but so far the PS3 looks like a much more reliable piece of hardware. Within a few weeks of the 360s launch it was pretty clear that it was a very unreliable piece of hardware. One of my best friend's 360s died within a month of launch and he is now on his fifth in just 18 months. However, the PS3 has been out for six months now and there seem to be almost no issues with the hardware. I think that right now ANYONE who buys a 360 is making a major mistake if they don't get an extended warranty. It was probably a good move to replace your 360 when you had the chance!;) The PS3 just seems a lot more reliable and therfore it may likely be significantly cheaper to own in the long run.

I dont see the big hoopla about the Wii. I was in line for my Elite, and the line mainly consisted of people who were there to buy a Wii.... I was like WTF!?! With such basic graphics and game play, is the remote and numchuck really pushing all these sales? I just find it baffling that its selling like it is. I know I probably shouldnt, but this game consol is reviving Nintendo. between that and the DS lite, Nintendo is still a player. The only game i really really loved for Gamecube was Eternal Darkness. Whats the game selection like for a Wii? Mostly kids games?

I dont see the big hoopla about the Wii. I was in line for my Elite, and the line mainly consisted of people who were there to buy a Wii.... I was like WTF!?! With such basic graphics and game play, is the remote and numchuck really pushing all these sales? I just find it baffling that its selling like it is.

The Wii is cheap, cool and fun to play. Yes, the graphics aren't on par with 360 and PS3, but its about fun games and a cool concept.

Go to a store (or a friend you know who has one), bowl a few games, shoot bunnies on "Rayman Raving Rabbids" and have a little fun. It's a great system.

The Wii is cheap, cool and fun to play. Yes, the graphics aren't on par with 360 and PS3, but its about fun games and a cool concept.

Go to a store (or a friend you know who has one), bowl a few games, shoot bunnies on "Rayman Raving Rabbids" and have a little fun. It's a great system.

Its definitely ambitious and intriguing.... I wanted to play Tiger Woods on it to see how it plays. I really cant say what i have against it. Nothing really. Maybe i just feel the advertising has been skewed for the younger crowd. I will get one eventually for my girl's son's birthday. He has wanted one since they came out. They still having trouble keeping them in stock?

Its definitely ambitious and intriguing.... I wanted to play Tiger Woods on it to see how it plays. I really cant say what i have against it. Nothing really. Maybe i just feel the advertising has been skewed for the younger crowd. I will get one eventually for my girl's son's birthday. He has wanted one since they came out. They still having trouble keeping them in stock?

last weekend i was at Circuitcity and they had a sign on their door saying they were out of stock, so i'd venture to guess that they're still having a wii-bit of a problem keeping them in stock.

I dont see the big hoopla about the Wii. I was in line for my Elite, and the line mainly consisted of people who were there to buy a Wii.... I was like WTF!?! With such basic graphics and game play, is the remote and numchuck really pushing all these sales? I just find it baffling that its selling like it is. I know I probably shouldnt, but this game consol is reviving Nintendo. between that and the DS lite, Nintendo is still a player. The only game i really really loved for Gamecube was Eternal Darkness. Whats the game selection like for a Wii? Mostly kids games?

So "kids games" mean they aren't fun? Btw, the Wii, unlike the GameCube will have a broad lineup.

So "kids games" mean they aren't fun? Btw, the Wii, unlike the GameCube will have a broad lineup.

Im not saying that kids games arent fun, maybe they just arent for me. I felt like the advertising was geared towards a younger age bracket, and it wasnt appealing to me overall. Like I said, the remote and num-chuck is a vey ambitious concept. Id like to play Tiger Woods with it and see how responsive it is. Right now, i think with Xbox live, and the ability to rent movies, tv shows, and to buy arcade games and expansion packs online, that its the best option for me. I dont know yet if i would like Wii enough to buy one for myself (my girls son will get one for his birthday) but i do look forward to playing it so i can form a better judgement. :)

How the **** are you going to tell me, I have played on Playstation servers the whole time I've played video games, and they always lag, glitch, and a bunch of other BS. That is the exact reason I went to 360, you dont have BS problems like that.

I also saw you talking about Ripping Off people. When a video game console is selling for $600, you dont call that a rip off. So what, I dont have wireless connection, or ble ray, I still have games that play in HD, and I still have my 360. So bascially, you're willing to pay $200 more for an exta 40 gig HD? ****, I can go buy a Elite right now for 480, have twice the size of the $600 PS3, and what all am I losing out on, Wireless and Blu Ray? I can go buy a wireless connection for the 360, that might run up to $50. So now I've spent around, 530, I still spent less, and the only thing im missing out on is Blu Ray? I mean ****, i still have HD games for the HD TV, do I really care whether its blu ray or not? Hell no, I have my HD, thats all I need.

I am willing to pay $50 a year for online services, knowning Microsoft will take care of the servers, than having old school used up servers that Playstation uses.

As I said, for the price 360 > Ps3

Have you even played a PS3 online?

The PS3 is basicly a media center. Play games, play music, play DVd's, play Blurays, Web browser, load photos from your camera for viewing, video chat online. It has everything for a media room except a T.V. and speakers.

Have you even played a PS3 online?

The PS3 is basicly a media center. Play games, play music, play DVd's, play Blurays, Web browser, load photos from your camera for viewing, video chat online. It has everything for a media room except a T.V. and speakers.

360 can do that too :)

well cept the Bluray.

My PS2 (the only one that I bought) lasted me about 5 years. It died the week before I got my PS3. I usually play about 600 online games of Madden a year and that is just one game. So, you could say that I play the hell out of my system. My PS3 stays on all the time. When I'm home I play the games and when I sleep I run Folding@home to help Stanford University cure diseases. I have never had a problem with my system and none of my friends that have a PS3 have any problems. If you want your system to last you might want to take care if it. Keep it clean, keep it well ventilated, and don't drop it o the floor. If you keep your system on a carpeted floor the static electricity from the carpet will cause havoc on any system.

Exactly, and the PS3 uses 360 watts of power, if you thought PS2's burned up quick, I cant wait to see the life of the POS3's after hardcore gamers that play Final Fantasy online and other massive online RPG's get through with it.

Xbox 360 only uses 180 watts of power.

:rolleyes:

Higher wattage does not by any means imply shorter life span. Your average high-end computer may be equipped with a 600 watt power supply... but it will still run smoothly for years depending on the stress you place on it as a user and the quality of the manufacturer. Terrible, terrible argument.

Also, you can not win the "but the PS3 is more expensive!" argument no matter how hard you try. Its basically a draw no matter how you slice it.

i like madden better on 360 though

Granted, EA is a crappy company. Madden 2006 for the 360 was worse than the PS2, Xbox, and PC versions of the game because it was a sloppy port with slightly upgraded graphics and less features. Madden 2007 is the exact same for the PS3 (some cut features, straight port from the 360, very poorly coded for the SPEs).

Madden 2008 will be the first year where EA works relatively extensively on the game for both new consoles... so the only way one can be conceived as better than the other will simply be the result of personal preference.

For example... I happen to play NBA 2k7 on my PS3 and have played it before on the 360 (damn SSM and digital Gilbert Arenas!) and the difference is absolutely negligible. I'm a bit more comfortable with the PS3 controller, though. The vast majority of games will be released for both systems and will play similarly on each.

plus i dont got a really nice tv, just decent, so i guess i wouldnt get the whole ps3 experience

Both the 360 and PS3 will look better on a really nice TV. The only system where it really doesn't make a difference is the Wii... so I wouldn't factor that in to your final decision. :2cents:

360 can do that too :)

well cept the Bluray.

The 360 has a web browser? So you can search the internet on a 360. I don't have a 360 but my friend does and he told me that it doesn't.

BTW I'm typing this laying down on my bed from my PS3. Can you do that on a 360?

The 360 has a web browser? So you can search the internet on a 360. I don't have a 360 but my friend does and he told me that it doesn't.

BTW I'm typing this laying down on my bed from my PS3. Can you do that on a 360?

Seriously, Dave, pick your battles. I love the PS3 as much as anyone but I recognize that the 360 does have its merits and I try not to sound like a big-time broken record. Stick to posting recent news like you did with that GTA IV article and all will be good ;)

Archived