Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

I have only had one system crash on me ever! That was the PS2, it wasn't reading the discs properly. But, it lasted a long long time. I bought it about a month after it came out and it lasted me until about a year ago. That is pretty long time. I don't remember when it came out.

But, I always have taken care of my systems. I keep them clean and ventilated. I think all of these systems will last a while if people take care of them.

Also, because of my positive experiences with the PS2 and PS, I am going to buy a PS3 tomorrow. I was going to wait until this summer, but I don't think I can.

I am going to buy: Resistance, Oblivion, and Motostorm. Does anyone else have any good suggestions?

Seriously, Dave, pick your battles. I love the PS3 as much as anyone but I recognize that the 360 does have its merits and I try not to sound like a big-time broken record. Stick to posting recent news like you did with that GTA IV article and all will be good ;)

I just wanted a definite answer about if the 360 has a web browser.

Have you even played a PS3 online?

The PS3 is basicly a media center. Play games, play music, play DVd's, play Blurays, Web browser, load photos from your camera for viewing, video chat online. It has everything for a media room except a T.V. and speakers.

I can do the exact same thing with me Xbox 360 except watch Blu Ray, however I get the same quality with HD DVD, but as I tell people, I buy a game system to play games, not watch movies.

So bascially, you're telling me PS3 is 100x better because of silly Blu Ray?

Please man.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Companys, w/e you want to call them, I just feel as if the 360 is a better buy for the price.

I just wanted a definite answer about if the 360 has a web browser.

Not by default... and if you jerry-rig it to have one, not a fully functional browser. Although, even the PS3's browser is not quite fully functional but its still a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Companys, w/e you want to call them, I just feel as if the 360 is a better buy for the price.

I would hesitate to call it that. Its a better option if your price range is above that of the Wii but below $500 but its hardly a better buy because what you don't pay for, you don't get.

I have not installed YDL as a OS, but I've heard that if you install it that it makes the PS3 more like a PC and it makes the web browser much better to use.

There really isn't a hard definition for PC. If you have some operating system running on it and can do everything that is required of your typical desktop or laptop system, its essentially a PC.

I feel you dude. Except I went with a Nintendo Wii. Before playstation I had a nintendo and a super nintendo. I forgot what video games were all about. The experience, not whose **** don't stink. All this bickering brought me down on the whole console thing. But the Wii is keeping my spirits up with fun entertainment.

are the same type of games available on Wii - Madden and such?

Well by their review 360 won, doesn't that mean it's the blatantly obvious winner?

It means that the 360 blatantly obviously has been out longer and, as such, has a better game selecton and more polished online features. I mean, honestly, you can't disagree that the 360's advantage in that review and in general is based entirely off of things that Sony could easily clean up or implement with its own system.

are the same type of games available on Wii - Madden and such?

they have madden for the wii, and its not a port. they have a special wii-team working on a game specially for it. it uses hand motions instead of button mashing. want to throw a football? go through the throwing motion. stiff arm? same idea.

It means that the 360 blatantly obviously has been out longer and, as such, has a better game selecton and more polished online features. I mean, honestly, you can't disagree that the 360's advantage in that review and in general is based entirely off of things that Sony could easily clean up or implement with its own system.

So you are also saying buying on potential vs buying the best system out there. Which system was better, PS2 or Xbox? The PS2 was released earlier, hardware wise was inferior, but had sold more which mean vendors supported it more. PS3 right now is in very danerous territory of losing some of their support. games which were special to them like GTA is being released on other systems at same time. Apostles Creed was 1st thought to be a PS3 game is also coming for the 360. Even Final Fantasy (a Sony staple) is rumored to appear on the 360. The lack luster sales of PS3 is not just hurting them now it's hurting their future. A game company wants to see as many games as they can. They are in the business of making money. So if if there are twice as many 360 as PS3s, I don't care what u have under your hood, I will design my game to the system that I can sell the most games for. Only the future will tell.

If you keep your system on a carpeted floor the static electricity from the carpet will cause havoc on any system.

Yeah, I definitely keep it on top of my big screen well ventilated. Ive never beaten my systems, but they do stay on a lot and have multiple people playing it. We also rent movies and tv shows on it, and save the pic albums and the ipod playlist's to it. I dont think i am the hardest person on consols out there, and I have never heard of a consol lasting five years without going down... surely not a PS2. I had to buy three of them. Ended up being very expensive. I clean the dust out of my systems, but if you live in a house where people smoke (In my house, its socially, and after Tammy's kid goes to bed, ) then youits going to be more prone to dust getting in it. I try not to smoke in my game room. Congrats on getting your systems to last that long brother, i should take notes from you on that. I hear you on keeping your consol on the floor. A buddy of mine does that, i keep telling him its horrable on the machine, but he doesnt care.

we've only had an SNES die on us, and that was our fault for hooking it up to our car battery which is more power than the system needed. it worked on the car battery for a few years, but eventually just burned out. since then, never have we had a dead system. my other two SNES's are just fine, my gamecube hasn't had any problems, my NES is still up and running (and soon to be extremely awesome,) my n64 never had problems, my Dreamcast is just fine, my GBA and GBC are perfect. the only other problem i've had was in my original gameboys. they've been known to have dead screens every now and then.

That was bogus. She didn't even say anything about Bluetooth headsets or keyboards, or being able to video chat on the PS3 and no mention of Playstation Home. She also failed to talk about how the PS3 is being used for medical research. Folding@home. They tried to be objective and failed.

EDIT - She did mention bluetooth but not as much as that "satisfying vibration" the 360 controller has.

She talked about the 360 having removable face plates. Well, the PS3 has Skins that you can change.

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,232.htm

whatever happened to the good ole days of video game consoles playing video games. i dont need all this pc, bluetooth, videohosting stuff. since that's all im really interested in, sounds like the best buy is x box 360, especially since i preferred x box to ps2. it has a lot more games, same graphics, better controller IMO, and if i go with the elite i get a huge harddrive for music and stuff, i can upgrade to hddvd if i ever want to (probably wont tho) and the x box live is far superior.

sounds to me like x box 360 is the way to go unless youre looking for a computer system that also plays about 10 games. like someone else said, heath shuler also had loads of potential, so ill take the proven comodity now, and in 5 years if ps3 pans out, maybe then ill give it a chance

but as I tell people, I buy a game system to play games, not watch movies.

That sentence right there is why I think the 360 will "win" over the PS3. The huge majority of the people who go into the stores looking to get a next-gen system don't want a PC, or a BluRay player, or any of the "other" stuff that PS3 touts. They want a next-gen GAME system. If you can get a more established system, better game selection, better online gaming, and get it all for way cheaper than a PS3, then you do that. The huge majority of gamers don't have money just to throw around, so they're going to buy on the now, versus the potential of the system.

With the PS3, I can get:

PlayStation3 - $600

Extra controller - $50

HDMI cable - $60

Resistance - $60

Madden - $60

Total: $830.00

Versus the 360:

XBOX360 - $400

Two controllers - $80

HDAV cable - $43

Gears of War - $60

Madden - $60

Halo 2 - $60

Total - $703.00

So I get two extra controllers and the top three games on the market right now for my system, and still pay over $100 less than the PS3 bundle, where I would only get one controller and two games.

The average gamer looks at the PS3 extra stuff and goes "so what?" I don't need a BluRay player, I don't have any BluRays. I don't need a web browser, I already have my laptop. Why would I want to pay extra for all that? The 360 got in right, IMO. If I want the wi-fi or HDDVD hookup for the 360, I can go out and get them. But if I don't want/need those things, why force me to purchase them? The PS3 forces me to pay for stuff I'm not going to use.

That sentence right there is why I think the 360 will "win" over the PS3. The huge majority of the people who go into the stores looking to get a next-gen system don't want a PC, or a BluRay player, or any of the "other" stuff that PS3 touts. They want a next-gen GAME system. If you can get a more established system, better game selection, better online gaming, and get it all for way cheaper than a PS3, then you do that. The huge majority of gamers don't have money just to throw around, so they're going to buy on the now, versus the potential of the system.

With the PS3, I can get:

PlayStation3 - $600

Extra controller - $50

HDMI cable - $60

Resistance - $60

Madden - $60

Total: $830.00

Versus the 360:

XBOX360 - $400

Two controllers - $80

HDAV cable - $43

Gears of War - $60

Madden - $60

Halo 2 - $60

Total - $703.00

So I get two extra controllers and the top three games on the market right now for my system, and still pay over $100 less than the PS3 bundle, where I would only get one controller and two games.

The average gamer looks at the PS3 extra stuff and goes "so what?" I don't need a BluRay player, I don't have any BluRays. I don't need a web browser, I already have my laptop. Why would I want to pay extra for all that? The 360 got in right, IMO. If I want the wi-fi or HDDVD hookup for the 360, I can go out and get them. But if I don't want/need those things, why force me to purchase them? The PS3 forces me to pay for stuff I'm not going to use.

That's what you might think. However, the Blu Ray drive was put in the PS3 for games. Already games like Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360 are taking up 3 DVDs and the guys at Rockstar are saying that the DVD drive and lack of standard HD in the 360 are gimping GTA IV. In addition, Hideo Kojima, the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, says that he needs the new 50GB dual layer Blu Ray disks for Metal Gear Solid 4 to fit everything (this is why this game won't go to 360, what is it going to come on 5 DVDs?). In addition, Epic Games, the maker of Gears of War has said that they are going to have to cut most of Unreal Tournament 3 to fit on the 360 as it is currently over 30GB. And speaking of Gears of War, it was an awesome game but it took less than ten hours to beat and filled the entire DVD. No doubt it could have been a lot longer and better on PS3. The Blu Ray drive is in there for future games. Imagine if the PS2 and Xbox had stuck with the CD drive, games like GTA 3 would have never been possible. In a few months, starting with MGS4, games will truly start to use the full capacity of the Blu Ray drive and you will see things from the PS3 that simply aren't possible on the Xbox 360. Make no mistake, the PS3 was designed solely as a game machine but it is so flexible and powerful that it is ideally suited for other applications as well.

That's what you might think. However, the Blu Ray drive was put in the PS3 for games. Already games like Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360 are taking up 3 DVDs and the guys at Rockstar are saying that the DVD drive and lack of standard HD in the 360 are gimping GTA IV. In addition, Hideo Kojima, the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, says that he needs the new 50GB dual layer Blu Ray disks for Metal Gear Solid 4 to fit everything (this is why this game won't go to 360, what is it going to come on 5 DVDs?). In addition, Epic Games, the maker of Gears of War has said that they are going to have to cut most of Unreal Tournament 3 to fit on the 360 as it is currently over 30GB. And speaking of Gears of War, it was an awesome game but it took less than ten hours to beat and filled the entire DVD. No doubt it could have been a lot longer and better on PS3. The Blu Ray drive is in there for future games. Imagine if the PS2 and Xbox had stuck with the CD drive, games like GTA 3 would have never been possible. In a few months, starting with MGS4, games will truly start to use the full capacity of the Blu Ray drive and you will see things from the PS3 that simply aren't possible on the Xbox 360. Make no mistake, the PS3 was designed solely as a game machine but it is so flexible and powerful that it is ideally suited for other applications as well.

is the 360 elite suited for these games?

is the 360 elite suited for these games?

No, it still uses the regular DVD drive. MS can't really upgrade the 360 to use an HD-DVD or Blu Ray drive FOR GAMES now because this would leave the 9 million + people who have already bought 360s in the cold. The 360 uses very advanced compression methods to fit games on DVDs otherwise none of the next gen games would fit but it can only go so far. The PS3 uses these methods as well even with a drive that has 5.5x the storage space (9GB for 360 DVDs vs. 50GB for PS3 Blu Ray disks). It is not an issue now (except in Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV) but in a year or so the DVD drive in the 360 will be a limiting factor in next gen games. Developers who want to create truly massive next gen games will be forced to develop on the PS3.

Note: Remember that there are 153,600 pixels in each frame of a 480i video signal (240 horizontal lines x 640 vertical), the signal used by standard definition televisions and what the PS2 and Xbox outputted. A 1080p signal, the highest quality HD signal that is produced by the PS3 and Xbox 360 has 2,073,600 pixels per frame (1080 x 1920), 13.5 times more than 480i. Therefore, all textures and videos in 1080p games must be 10-15 times more detailed than they were in the last console generation and there were a number of PS2 and Xbox games that came on multiple DVDs. And this is even before we start to look at 5.1 and 7.1 audio. How on earth are the truly massive and epic games of this generation going to fit on the 360s DVDs!? This is the main problem I see with the Xbox 360 looking into the future. As I said before, Blue Dragon is already taking up 3 DVDs on 360 and Rockstar and Epic are complaining about this and Hideo Kojima says MGS4 won't work on the 360 because it is too epic in scope.

Just to show you, this is what Dan Houser, the creative VP at Rockstar games was saying in 2004 before the release of GTA3: San Andreas:

On filling up DVDs: “One area that I’m really involved in is creating the audio assets – I think we’ll have well over 400 speaking parts, which is insanity. The amount of studio time we’re having to get through and the amount of writing that’s involved, we’re more worried about getting it on the disc. That’s our initial challenge. We’re having to go to dual layer DVD because we’ve already filled up a full DVD.

On unbridled ambition: “This is the thing about having a very ambitious team. Everyone, every section pushes every other section, nobody wants to be the guy that isn’t pushing as hard as possible. Everyone wants there bit to be the bit that people remember from the game. There’s a lot of internal competition and pressure to do the best that they can do. You know, ‘How can we tie that in together?’ And suddenly you’re like, ‘Oh ****, it needs another 10,000 extra audio samples or another 50 pedestrian models. Oh well, it’s worth it; don’t let the side down…’ There’s a really good energy like that. The danger is currently the storage medium (DVD), and one we thing we’re all praying for in the next round of hardware is that they don’t just go, ‘It’s DVD again’. We’ve done some clever stuff with compressing it, but we were virtually full on the disc with Vice City – this time we’re overfilling the disc to the max.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56025

And then what he said last recently about GTA IV:

OPM asked, "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?"

Houser replied quickly and succinctly, "Yep." He added, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16019

Finally, just to prove some of the power of the PS3, here are some of the latest pics from Gran Turismo HD and some real life photos for comparison. Can you tell which is which!?

gthdnissian-2.jpg

GTmai9.jpg

GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

I have yet to see the Xbox 360 do anything that even comes CLOSE to this!!!

Archived