Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

it was 64 bit....

Atari Jaguar... Do the Math... Don't ask how I know :doh:

Haha....

I was actually repeating some lame joke I remember hearing back then about adding up the bit-width of all of the chips in the system including the sound chip to get to 128-bits. :)

Looks like HD DVD is in serious trouble. Universal, the only large exclusive HD DVD backing studio could be heading over to Blu Ray. What's even more surprising is that HD DVD was paying Universal a ton of money just to stay exclusive so if this happens it shows that Universal thinks HD DVD is dead in the water:

May 9, 2007 - Universal Going Neutral?

Posted May 9, 2007 by Josh

bd.gif

Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution.

Keep watching this space, and we'll update the story as needed.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180

Game over!

Looks like HD DVD is in serious trouble. Universal, the only large exclusive HD DVD backing studio could be heading over to Blu Ray. What's even more surprising is that HD DVD was paying Universal a ton of money just to stay exclusive so if this happens it shows that Universal thinks HD DVD is dead in the water:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180

Game over!

I was just going to post the same thing. You beat me to it good job. :cheers:

Posting things that haven't been even confirmed, that makes a lot of sense.

Secondly, I could care a less, I'm playing my games on 360, not movies.

LOL

If you seriously buy a game system to play movies, you are by far a retard in my book.

Wow, I only posted the article because there has been lots of discussion on whether HD DVD or Blu Ray will win out in this thread and everyone jumps down my throat. You Xbox 360 owners seem a little overly defensive!

*enter DiscoDave*

DD- the PS3 is the only good system ever built, the 360 is hardly better than a ps2, the 360 sucks, ps3 is awesome, it plays movies real cool like!

This is a totally false statement. The PS# is a good system if you want to blow 600 bucks on a system that gamve developers don;t even want to develop for. When compared in graphics, the 360 provides jsut as good graphics as the ps3, and the only real difference is the shading (which is better on ps3). Xbox 360 has better games, and always will have better games. Their online system is lightyears better then PS3's. Also, the TV's that can support the full power of the PS3 on;t be a staple in homes untill years down the line. Gaming experts don;t even predict PS3 to make it out of next year.

Really, who!? Most industry analysts still predict the PS3 to beat the 360 in the long run. You are just making things up.

I dunno about this. I read alot the other way around. I am not saying the PS3 is not a great machine, but similar to the less powered PS2 that had more units out there that Xbox, more games being developed for 360 = more 360 being sold meaning more games in future being developed for 360. There will always be M$ die hards,and Sony Diehards. but right now if u don't care about one company or the other you buy a 360. The games look identical and there are more of them out there for the 360... again this leads to more 360 units out there than PS3s. As I said earlier Sony is losing alot of their exclusive titles. Some game companies may be partial to sony over M$, but at the end of the day they are about making money. So if there are more 360s out there, then that is more potential buyers on that system. It's a vicious cycle.

Either way I don't see either being DEAD in a couple years. Both are good system with proven companies. we aren't talkin about the Jaguar or 3DO.

I love this new update they did with the 360. Chatting on Windows Live Messenger while on the 360 Dashboard, fun stuff, probably wont use it much, but still a neat add on.

That pissed me off. I HATE being forced to add unwanted software

to MY machines. MS is really good at doing that.

LOL

If you seriously buy a game system to play movies, you are by far a retard in my book.

"you are by far a retard" With grammer like that you are the biggest

retard around here.

LOL

Coming from this?

duncecopy.gif

But seriously, I remember that the main selling point when the ps2 came out was that it also functioned as a DVD player. I think Sony tried to pull off the same thing by going to Blu-Ray, but they are just a little too early for most people. In all honesty, I don't see a real difference between the two systems other than the fact that the ps3 has that high-def optical disk drive.

That $600 price tag is really drumming up a lot of (probably uneccessary) hatred for the PS3.

I did download Forza demo today. I can't compare it to GT but it looks and plays very well. Damage to the car is pretty cool. I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

That's been the one thing that keeps me from being excited about the GT games.

May 9, 2007 - Universal Going Neutral?

Posted May 9, 2007 by Josh

bd.gif

Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution.

Keep watching this space, and we'll update the story as needed.

so is it Pioneer that invented HD-DVD? and is Sony the inventor for Blue-ray?... or who is the actually company that came up w/ the two different media types?:applause:

so is it Pioneer that invented HD-DVD? and is Sony the inventor for Blue-ray?... or who is the actually company that came up w/ the two different media types?:applause:

I thought HD-DVD was Toshiba, and Blur-Ray was Sony, at least I think they were to 2 big companies that pushed the projects. I could be wrong.

edit : The HD DVD standard was jointly developed by Toshiba and NEC. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-DVD)

Here is some info:

1.3 Who developed Blu-ray?

The Blu-ray Disc format was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers, with more than 180 member companies from all over the world. The Board of Directors currently consists of:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Dell Inc.

Hewlett Packard Company

Hitachi, Ltd.

LG Electronics Inc.

Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.

Mitsubishi Electric Corporation

Pioneer Corporation

Royal Philips Electronics

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

Sharp Corporation

Sony Corporation

Sun Microsystems, Inc.

TDK Corporation

Thomson Multimedia

Twentieth Century Fox

Walt Disney Pictures

Warner Bros. Entertainment

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_developers

HD DVD was developed by Toshiba and NEC.

While the PS3 Fanboys masturbate over the fact that their overpriced, low-selling system with no games to play has a blu-ray drive, let's look at the facts on the ground.

Me: Hey Japan, how are things over there?

Japan: Our weekly console software sales figures are out. You'll never guess what happened.

Me: What?

Japan: Every single title in the top 20 is for a Nintendo game system.

Me: No kidding!

Japan: Yeah, crazy eh? They were all DS and Wii games.

Me: But the PS3 has Blu-Ray! Don't people get it! It's suuuupperrior!

Japan: Well, to tell you the truth, the PS3 didn't even have anything in the top 30.

Me: Ouch. Reality is a *****.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13873

Have fun in your alternate reality kids.

Archived