Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

right now - Xbox 360

with the advatanges and capabilities of the PS3 it will in the future make the xbox 360 look the Atari.

but its hard to judge in the fact that the 360 has been out for 1 1/2 years now, and the PS3 just came out like 6 months ago. So the 360 has had time to get the kinks out and make a CRAP load of games.

but for the fact the playstation 3 has the ability to uncountless things in time it will be the greatest system ever built. and the fact that the greatest RPG series ever is for it, gives it an edge(final fantasy).

Wii wii wii. That almost a totally different market. I know they are a gaming console like the PS3 and 360. But their target market is non games. This is why M$ themselves said go buy a 360 and a Wii. The 360 and PS3 are going more head to head.

just curious how many people out there have a 360 and a Wii.. .raise your hand.

:ciao:

:ciao: lol i have all 3, and i rank them right now at

1. Xbox 360

2. Nintendo Wii

3. Playstation 3

but future i have predictions of them being at

1. Playstation 3

2. Xbox 360

3. Nintendo Wii

Is Japan really xenophobic? I just thought they were loyal to their own electronics. I know that there is a certain fascination with American culture over there...

One of my friends is half Japanese, half white. His father still lives in Japan. He gives me his version of the unvarnished truth. Basically, he claims that everyone over there is quite racist and xenophobic, but their customs and culture of politeness covers it up in most social interactions. Keep in mind, that country is racially homogeneous. At the same time they do dig many aspects of american culture, and love to try out their english. It's a funny place, and it's kind of hard to explain the Japanese in a single paragraph.

But yes, xenophobic, and they have always been quite resistant to any outside consoles/software.

Last month the 360 outsold the PS3 by 70k consoles in the United States. The PS3 outsold the 360 in Japan by something like 7k consoles, a function of Japan's well documented xenophobia. That leaves the Xbox 360 well ahead. After the initial launch with pent up demand (look at 360/Wii launch weeks), PS3 sales dropped off the face of the earth. Unless you can come up with current (non launch week numbers) that bridge the gap, then go away.

Your American numbers are correct, the lastest numbers from the US (March) say that the PS3 sold 129,000 consoles in the US vs. 199,000 Xbox 360s. Your Japanese numbers are WAY OFF (please, last WEEK the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 9,000 units)! In March, the PS3 sold 117,420 consoles in Japan vs. 14,193 Xbox 360s. So in Japan the PS3 outsold the 360 by OVER 100,000 UNITS!!!! In the rest of the world, the disparity was even higher but this was due to the PAL PS3 launch there where they sold almost 1 million PS3s in a week and a half so I will not count those. The Ps3 is killing the 360 worldwide!

BTW, the Japan sales numbers are here:

http://vgchartz.com/japconscomps.php?name1=X360&name2=PS3&type=0&align=1

Your American numbers are correct, the lastest numbers from the US (March) say that the PS3 sold 129,000 consoles in the US vs. 199,000 Xbox 360s. Your Japanese numbers are WAY OFF (please, last WEEK the PS3 outsold the 360 by over 9,000 units)! In March, the PS3 sold 117,420 consoles in Japan vs. 14,193 Xbox 360s. So in Japan the PS3 outsold the 360 by OVER 100,000 UNITS!!!! In the rest of the world, the disparity was even higher but this was due to the PAL PS3 launch there where they sold almost 1 million PS3s in a week and a half so I will not count those. The Ps3 is killing the 360 worldwide!

BTW, the Japan sales numbers are here:

http://vgchartz.com/japconscomps.php?name1=X360&name2=PS3&type=0&align=1

The Japanese numbers I posted were weekly, not monthly, which is my mistake. That leaves us with fairly close to a net wash in current month sales between the two markets, and no numbers to speak of with any authority in Europe. And of course, the 360 is sitting on a 7 million console cushion.

The Japanese numbers I posted were weekly, not monthly, which is my mistake. That leaves us with fairly close to a net wash in current month sales between the two markets, and no numbers to speak of with any authority in Europe. And of course, the 360 is sitting on a 7 million console cushion.

Uh no, it leaves us with a 30,000+ Ps3 advantage when combining the US and Japan (that is almost 15% more PS3s being sold in just those two regions alone). The PS3 is doing worse than the 360 in the US but Japan MORE than makes up for it. Also, in one week in Europe Sony sold 900,000+ consoles which is almost a third of the entire Xbox 360 install base that was built up there over a year. Europe isn't called "Sonyland" for nothing, the Playstation brand is more hegemoniuos there than it was ever in the US OR Japan (where Nintendo has always been relatively popular) and all circumstantial evidence shows that the PS3 has been killing the 360 there (but they do not have monthly sales figures like the US and Japan). For example, in Germany PS3 software has been outselling Wii and Xbox 360 titles COMBINED (http://gamefront.de/). Worldwide, the 360 is doing MUCH WORSE than the PS3.

Either way None of these sytems are going away. I don't believe any will have a HUGE advantage. But can we stop talkin about World Wide? I mean the Game Cube was huge in Japan but it was crap over here. for all I care the PS3 could stop seeling in the US and sell a Billion more console world wide. I am looking at US numbers cus I play US games. There is a differnce between US games and Japanese games. They have Pokemon, but I don't think they'll be playing many WWII games over there.

Uh no, it leaves us with a 30,000+ Ps3 advantage when combining the US and Japan (that is almost 15% more PS3s being sold in just those two regions alone). The PS3 is doing worse than the 360 in the US but Japan MORE than makes up for it. Also, in one week in Europe Sony sold 900,000+ consoles which is almost a third of the entire Xbox 360 install base that was built up there over a year. Europe isn't called "Sonyland" for nothing, the Playstation brand is more hegemoniuos there than it was ever in the US OR Japan (where Nintendo has always been relatively popular) and all circumstantial evidence shows that the PS3 has been killing the 360 there (but they do not have monthly sales figures like the US and Japan). For example, in Germany PS3 software has been outselling Wii and Xbox 360 titles COMBINED (http://gamefront.de/). Worldwide, the 360 is doing MUCH WORSE than the PS3.

Oh well.

With Blue Dragon and one other Japanese title coming to the 360 this summer and with the possibility of FF 13 being on the 360 as well, MS is hoping that will boost sales in Europe.

They knew as soon as they launched the 360 back in 2005 that the Sony would kill them in the Asian and European markets, old news.

Plus I live in America so I don't really care how well PS3 does compared to the 360 overseas, it means squat.

I would like to see more japanese titles on the 360 though, they have some ingenious games with amazing storylines.

Just wondering, you PS3 guys have an online Arcade thing to download stuff?

We have it on 360. Downloading stuff like, Doom, Pac Man, UNO, Worm, Street Fighter, TMNT, etc?

Do you all have anything along the lines of that?

Yup, the PS Store. They don't have a load of old arcade games just yet. They do have Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II and they recently added Rampart. The PS store's big draw (at least for right now) are the sell of old PS1 games that can either be played on the PSP or the PS3 that sell for about $6 a title. They also have some pretty cool orginal titles on there such as Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (which used to be a psp title only),and Flow (a pretty decent orginal game that utilizes the PS3s tilt controller function.

The downside to PS Store is that it's essentially a web page that runs extremely slow from time to time. Also, the PS Store doesn't have the huge collection of TV shows and movies like Live.

Look you keep saying this but you're wrong. Worldwide the PS3 is selling more consoles every week than the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is only beating the PS3 in the US. I will admit that the 360 is killing the PS3 in the US but worldwide the PS3 is selling at a better rate.

And the Wii is still selling more than both of them combined. You can't take PS3's one HUGE European weekend for their standard sales. They dropped off the map after their release week.

There is a differnce between US games and Japanese games. They have Pokemon, but I don't think they'll be playing many WWII games over there.

Pokemon is going to sell more copies in the US that any WWII game ever released. Pokemon is huge here, too.

Yup, the PS Store. They don't have a load of old arcade games just yet. They do have Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II and they recently added Rampart. The PS store's big draw (at least for right now) are the sell of old PS1 games that can either be played on the PSP or the PS3 that sell for about $6 a title. They also have some pretty cool orginal titles on there such as Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (which used to be a psp title only),and Flow (a pretty decent orginal game that utilizes the PS3s tilt controller function.

The downside to PS Store is that it's essentially a web page that runs extremely slow from time to time. Also, the PS Store doesn't have the huge collection of TV shows and movies like Live.

Ahhh alright gotcha, so you pay money though, you dont have anything like the Point thing we have?

Either way doesn't matter, I think i'll be playing Arcade games more than anything, I love the old school stuff.

Is this thread still going on?

Someone had it right when they used the metaphors of videogame systems to cars. A 360 vs. a PS3 is like a Corvette vs. a Ferrari. For most Corvette is an awesome machine, especially for the price. But if you can afford it, why not go all out and get a Ferrari and just a little bit more?

Both are awesome; why are people getting so friggin upset and personal about this.

That is an awful metaphor.

It's more like a Corvette vs. another Corvette with no games that costs more money.

']That is an awful metaphor.

It's more like a Corvette vs. another Corvette with no games that costs more money.

:laugh: The PS3 has way more power than the 360. Its processor blows the 360 out of the water. You're right about the no games part, but that's because the technology is so new, its hard to develop games for it. But in a couple years, the PS3 library will catch up to the 360 library, and game-for-game will be 10 times the system it is.

If you want to buy one of these now, and can't afford both, you buy the 360.

You'd have to be a fanboy or some kind of idiot to spend that chunk of change on a game system that offers little more than longterm potential (from a gaming perspective.)

Play your 360, enjoy, and keep an eye on that PS3 game library...when it starts to eclipse the 360 in a year or two you trade it in for the PS3 :D

:ciao: lol i have all 3, and i rank them right now at

1. Xbox 360

2. Nintendo Wii

3. Playstation 3

but future i have predictions of them being at

1. Playstation 3

2. Xbox 360

3. Nintendo Wii

Well I can't argue with TheU. Someone that has all 3, knows that they offer and their potential.

Ahhh alright gotcha, so you pay money though, you dont have anything like the Point thing we have?

Nah. I actually prefer to know how much money I'm going to be spending on it. I don't understand why MS and Nintendo use a points system. As for the old arcade games, I have most of the MAME ROMS on my modded Xbox1, so it would take a online multiplayer feature to make me want to buy it. Kinda like how they did with the TMNT game.

A question for those of you that have a Wii:

Where in the hell are you finding them? I've been searching the past month an a half. The only one I came across was grossly overpriced so I passed on it.

A question for those of you that have a Wii:

Where in the hell are you finding them? I've been searching the past month an a half. The only one I came across was grossly overpriced so I passed on it.

Imagine how many Wii's would have sold if production could meet the demand!

I found mine by accident while surfing on Amazon.com and saw on the message board for the Wii that circuitcity had them online. I grabbed mine and the link stayed hot for a few more minutes till they sold out.

www.wiitracker.com displays when certain online stores have them in stock.

Or just keep calling stores. I'm sure they love that every day... :laugh:

Archived