Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

So, let's change it up a bit. I'm buying a 360 over the weekend, what is the first game that I should BUY???

Gears of War, no contest. NBA 2k7 is my other fave.

I am currently awaiting a coffin for my 360 sent to me via Microsoft.

4 months in and its dead. Sucking laser reader. Damn, withdrawal, argh.

So, let's change it up a bit. I'm buying a 360 over the weekend, what is the first game that I should BUY???

Depends what you like, as said Gears of War great game. So is guitar hero. if you get crackdown you get to play Halo Beta for 2 weeks.... and 2 weeks from today Forza 2 comes out

I agree on the 360 get the black Elite if you can afford it..has HDMI and 120gig HD.

games Gears of War, Guitar Heroes 2(great fun) and Crackdown for the Halo3 beta invite. The game is also decent not great..but scalling buildings, long jumping and picking up and throwing heavy stuff is fun. Decent arsenal too. The new Forza should be incredible if u like racing.

Far as the Wii..I'm stumped until I get mario galaxy. I got excite truck..dont care for it. Got Zelda Twilight princess...pretty solid game not as impressive as I thought it'd be. Wii Play is crap other than getting and extra remote. Wii sports is a fun add in..good party game to play with friends. What else is on the horizon? when does project hammer come out?

I agree on the 360 get the black Elite if you can afford it..has HDMI and 120gig HD.

games Gears of War, Guitar Heroes 2(great fun) and Crackdown for the Halo3 beta invite. The game is also decent not great..but scalling buildings, long jumping and picking up and throwing heavy stuff is fun. Decent arsenal too. The new Forza should be incredible if u like racing.

Far as the Wii..I'm stumped until I get mario galaxy. I got excite truck..dont care for it. Got Zelda Twilight princess...pretty solid game not as impressive as I thought it'd be. Wii Play is crap other than getting and extra remote. Wii sports is a fun add in..good party game to play with friends. What else is on the horizon? when does project hammer come out?

The Godfather. Get It.

The Godfather. Get It.

do the motion controls make it better? I heard the game didnt change much on any of the platforms, xbox, ps2, ps3, 360 etc. I for one like great control and gameplay aspects first..graphics close second.

I usually do the exclusive titles to each console, that the other ones cant get...but then I get stumped on the cross platform games. Like Madden 08, i reserved it for 360, but not sure if I should get it on PS3 or Wii instead. decisions decicisons. I like Xbox live so I 'll probably stick with 360 for madden that and most of the peeps I know or play or on there.

What has the Xbox 360 done to innovate!? All games are shooters and it is exactly the same as the Xbox but more powerful. The PS3 is infinately more innovative than the 360. Seems to me like the pot is calling the kettle black.

I have not seen anything come out on the PS3 that is an innovative game as of yet, nor have I on the 360, but they are both brand new in console years.

What is Little Big Planet? I am interested.

I have not seen anything come out on the PS3 that is an innovative game as of yet, nor have I on the 360, but they are both brand new in console years.

What is Little Big Planet? I am interested.

It's your lucky day! A new preview just came out. Basically, LBP is a 4 player co-op platform game. The game has truly amazing graphics that look almost photorealistic (your character looks like he's made out of a hemp beanbag and you can see how realistic all the textures on the brick floor, the shells and the cardboard buildings are). The gameplay is totally based on physics as well so you use inertia and gravity and such to get through the levels (check out the guy rolling an orange and then vaulting over it :45 into the gameplay video). However, the truly revolutionary aspect of the game is that individual gamers can easily design their own levels and then share them on the playstation network. It is really hard to describe but if you watch the videos you will see what I mean.

Here's a quick ingame pic just to show how awesome the graphics are:

39924_med.jpg

Here's the latest article that describes the game in a lot of depth:

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/05/exploring_littl.php

An excerpt that explains the awesome control scheme:

In this game from Media Molecule, you can make your button-eyed, hemp-skinned, zip-fronted little avatar run, jump… and act. The D-pad selects facial expressions: grin, grimace and frown. The right stick waves its arms around together, but hold down L2 and R2 and the left and right sticks can move them independently. And, in a simple stroke of genius, tilting the Sixaxis controller moves its head. You can assume attitudes, look at things in the game world, dance; if you wear a frown and tilt your head forwards, you’ll move in a dejected shuffle.

It’s an inspired use of the Sixaxis that cleverly exploits its dual nature, turning it into an effortless combination of game controller and puppeteer’s rod. It makes such instinctive sense that within a minute of picking it up, you feel that this is the game the controller has been waiting for.

This video shows how easy it is to create new levels:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuoOosTdFiY

This shows how you share them online:

=

Here's some gameplay:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOpc9Z6pKSg&mode=related&search=

I watched the gameplay video last night, it looks fun for the first couple of levels but after that not so much.

Then I remembered my super nintendo days while playing super mario brothers and how that engrossed me, looks pretty cool. And innovative!

Oh I thought of an innovative game for the 360 last night, Viva Pinata, I don't know if it is going to change the face of gaming but gamewise, it is pretty innovative and new :)

Which reminds me, I need to play that more.

do the motion controls make it better? I heard the game didnt change much on any of the platforms, xbox, ps2, ps3, 360 etc. I for one like great control and gameplay aspects first..graphics close second.

I usually do the exclusive titles to each console, that the other ones cant get...but then I get stumped on the cross platform games. Like Madden 08, i reserved it for 360, but not sure if I should get it on PS3 or Wii instead. decisions decicisons. I like Xbox live so I 'll probably stick with 360 for madden that and most of the peeps I know or play or on there.

Yes. The motion controls are very fun. You actually strangle people etc. It is awesome and they have precision aiming so you can shoot them where you want, not just shoot them and die.

Don't go out and buy it immediately as I assume you won't but take a look into it.

Looks like Japan really isn't even warming up to the PS3

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789737p1.html

PS3 Drops to Four Digits in Japan

System outsold by PS2.

by Anoop Gantayat

showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');May 18, 2007 - In its 26th week on the Japanese market, the PS3 has managed something previously unthinkable for the PlayStation brand. Media Create reports that the system dropped under the 10,000 sales mark over the week of 5/7 to 5/13.

Coming in at 8,839 units for the week, the PS3 was beaten by the PS2's 10,414 units and the PSP's 34,433 units. Despite continued supply problems, Nintendo's platforms slaughtered all three PlayStation platforms, with the DS pushing 163,785 units and the Wii 52,544 units.

The PS3 did beat the Xbox 360's 2,105 units for the week. Although the gap is certainly getting closer than anyone would have expected prior to last November's PS3 launch.

I am a PS3 Owner, and was a huge backer of the PS2.

At this point in time the PS3 is a COMPLETE waste of money. Yea i said it. It cannot be denied...

Games, they dont exsist.

It is a nice paperweight.

Seriously, Resistance and then...............nothing.

They are losing exclusives left and right. Games get delayed 2-3times on the PS3 and games on both have been better on the XBOX (this is a fact).

I keep hearing about potential. The i keep reading game publishers talking about how confusing and damn near impossible it is to program for the ps3.

I am a PS3 Owner, and was a huge backer of the PS2.

At this point in time the PS3 is a COMPLETE waste of money. Yea i said it. It cannot be denied...

Games, they dont exsist.

It is a nice paperweight.

Seriously, Resistance and then...............nothing.

They are losing exclusives left and right. Games get delayed 2-3times on the PS3 and games on both have been better on the XBOX (this is a fact).

I keep hearing about potential. The i keep reading game publishers talking about how confusing and damn near impossible it is to program for the ps3.

Sorry you feel that way bro. I am waiting until next year until I form my opinion on the system. I do agree with several of your points but I remember feeling the exact same way last year about the 360. Around this time last yaer all you had on there was really worth playing was Oblivion, Saints Row and one of the many shooters and drivers that were out for the system. Now the 360 has a ton of games and even more on the way this summer. The ps3's lineup is already starting to show a bit of promise with the announcement of Socom: Confrontation. Couple that with the new stuff that I'm hearing about Heavenly Sword and Lair, I think they'll finally get some decent games out this year.

• 2 weeks later...

HELIOS harnesses PLAYSTATION 3 power for enterprise server solution

http://gamers-creed.blogspot.com/2007/05/helios-harnesses-playstation-3-power.html

Dr John Yardley, MD of HELIOS distributor JPY Plc, said "It might seem like a crazy idea, but pound for pound the PS3 offers amazing power. I expect plenty of Linux enthusiasts will find good uses for the installation, which includes powerful tools like EtherShare and WebShare. Getting HELIOS running on the platform is akin to cramming a Spitfire engine into a Mini!"

Sorry you feel that way bro. I am waiting until next year until I form my opinion on the system. I do agree with several of your points but I remember feeling the exact same way last year about the 360. Around this time last yaer all you had on there was really worth playing was Oblivion, Saints Row and one of the many shooters and drivers that were out for the system. Now the 360 has a ton of games and even more on the way this summer. The ps3's lineup is already starting to show a bit of promise with the announcement of Socom: Confrontation. Couple that with the new stuff that I'm hearing about Heavenly Sword and Lair, I think they'll finally get some decent games out this year.

The PS3 will be a fine system with a great library, in time.

But the 360 probably had the best library of games of any system launch in history.

Archived