Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release:SKINS AGREE TO TERMS WITH 9 UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FA;SIGN FA K FREDRICKSON

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

April 30, 2007

REDSKINS AGREE TO TERMS WITH NINE UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS;

SIGN FREE AGENT K TYLER FREDRICKSON

ASHBURN, VA - The Washington Redskins announced today they have agreed to terms with nine undrafted rookie free agents. In addition, the team announced the signing of free agent kicker Tyler Fredrickson.

Fredrickson, 6-3, 220, played college ball at California and first entered the NFL in 2004 with Seattle. He was released prior to the start of the 2004 season. He spent the 2005 training camp with Denver and was in training camp with Dallas in 2006.

The following is a list of undrafted rookie free agents that have agreed to terms with the Redskins:

Name Position College

Terry Caulley RB Connecticut

Daniel Francis CB LSU

Stephon Heyer OL Maryland

Justin Hickman DE UCLA

Sam Hollenbach QB Maryland

Zach Latimer LB Oklahoma

Marcus Mason RB Youngstown State

Taylor Sele WR Boston College

Deyon Williams WR Virginia

Caulley leaves UConn as the holder of nearly every major rushing record in school history. He started 31 of 36 games and rushed for 3,187 yards on 570 attempts (5.6 average) and 31 touchdowns. Caulley had 13 career 100-yard rushing games.

Francis played in the same defensive backfield at LSU as Redskins first-round draft selection LaRon Landry. He appeared in 48 games over his four-year career at LSU and totaled 76 tackles (39 solo), six tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks. Francis was also a special teams standout on kick-off and punt coverage. He was selected to play in the 2007 East-West Shrine game.

Heyer played his college ball at Maryland. He overcame a torn ACL at the start of the 2005 season to earn honorable mention All-ACC honors as a senior. He started 37 games at left offensive tackle for the Terps.

Hickman earned first team All PAC-10 honors as a senior after totaling 42 tackles (30 solo), two forced fumbles, 19 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks in 13 games. Prior to joining UCLA in 2004, Hickman played for Glandale Community College in Glendale, AZ. Hickman appeared in 35 games with 97 tackles (60 solo), 19.5 sacks and 31 tackles for loss while at UCLA.

Hollenbach finished his career as only the fourth Terrapin to throw for more than 5,000 yards in his career. During his time at Maryland he played in 28 games, starting 24, and throwing for 5,139 yards, 28 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. He finished his career on a high-note being named MVP of the 2006 Champs Sports Bowl.

Latimer earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors for the 2005 and 2006 seasons. Over the course of his career he has appeared in 41 games with 26 starts, and totaled180 tackles (104 solo), 19 tackles for loss, seven sacks, two forced fumbles and three interceptions.

Mason was named Division 1-AA first-team All-America by the Associated Press as a senior thanks in large part to rushing for a school record 1,847 yards and 23 touchdowns. Prior to transferring to Youngstown St. he played at the University of Illinois. During his two seasons as a Penguin he rushed for 2,739 yards and 31 touchdowns and was named 2006 Gateway Offensive Player of the Year.

Sele played wide receiver and was a valuable member of the special teams coverage units at Boston College. He finished his career at BC catching 27 balls for 296 yards for an average of 10.9 yards per catch.

Williams appeared in 38 games while at Virginia totaling 95 catches for 1,237 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is the 26th player in school history to go over the 1,000 yard mark at UVA. As a junior in 2005 he earned honorable mention All-ACC honors.

The first official list...very nice. Thanks for the quick posting.

No problem. Like Tarhog & I said the other day, when we get em, we share the whole thing with you guys. You don't just sound bites that the media cherry picks.

I think the Caully statemnet of holding every major rushing record in school history is a little misleading. I don't think they had a football team until like 2002 or 2003. Still a good pick up though hopefully he can mak it as a return man

Stephon Heyer is a VERY solid Offensive Lineman. Good pick up. I don't really know the rest except for Hollenbach. He is alright at times, but seriously underthrows many passes. He has missed a few open receivers on deep routes by overthrowing on occasion, or just completely missing them. Shoulder durability was an issue, but if that is healed up he is fine. Looked great at Champs (I went down to FL to see the game).

I think the Caully statemnet of holding every major rushing record in school history is a little misleading. I don't think they had a football team until like 2002 or 2003. Still a good pick up though hopefully he can mak it as a return man

I'm a UCONN grad, we had a Divsion 1AA football program until 2001, I believe, before moving to D1 as an Independent and then joning the Big East in 2004. Caully was often hurt, but when he played, he played well.

I'm a UCONN grad, we had a Divsion 1AA football program until 2001, I believe, before moving to D1 as an Independent and then joning the Big East in 2004. Caully was often hurt, but when he played, he played well.

Oh ok, I remeber when they moved to D I cuz my highschool HC went up their to be their HC. For some reason i thought i heard it was their first year with a football program. Must have just been their first year in D I

Anyone got a draft profile on Hickman? From stats alone he looks like a good player.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/justinhickman.html

He's undersized, so I wouldn't expect a lot.

The names that are more interesting to me are Francis, who looks raw but is fast, and Williams, who is that 6'+ receiver everyone keeps clammoring for.

Jason

Anyone got a draft profile on Hickman? From stats alone he looks like a good player.

Scouts, Inc. has him listed as an OLB in the NFL becasue of his size.

Justin Hickman

OLB | (6'1", 254, 4.75) | UCLA

Scouts Grade: 44

Strengths: At his best working up-the-field as a pass rusher. While somewhat inconsistent and needs to be quicker in this area, flashes decent upper body strength and the ability to shed blocks. Uses hands to protect legs, shows good balance and can fight though cut blocks. Can slip blocks in space and takes sound pursuit angles. Shows good body control, generally wraps up upon contact and doesn't miss many open tackles. Has an explosive firsts step, anticipates the snap well and flashes the ability to turn the corner. Closes well and flashes the ability to knock the ball loose when gets to the quarterback. Shows good lateral mobility, runs line stunts well and flashes the ability to set offensive tackles up to the outside before redirecting inside. Blocked a kick during senior season and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Appears to take plays off, he isn't relentless in pursuit and motor is inconsistent. Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back. Avoids blockers rather than stacking them up and gets caught out of position at times. Doesn't always take sound path to the quarterback and can get ridden past the pocket. Isn't a powerful bull rusher and doesn't show a variety of pass rush moves. Lacks the power of an every-down defensive end and doesn't have a lot of experience dropping into coverage so there are some concerns about ability to move to outside linebacker.

Overall: Hickman originally attended Glendale (A.Z.) Community College in 2003 where he was a first team All-Western States Football League performer after registering 60 total tackles and 10 sacks. He played in 10 of 12 games (eight starts) during the 2004 season for UCLA, finishing the year with 22 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks. Hickman started all 12 contests in 2005, seeing time at both right and left end, and made 31 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, and one fumble recovery. In 2006, Hickman received All-American recognition from several publications after recording 42 total tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries, and three forced fumbles.

Hickman was a college defensive end that projects best at outside linebacker in a 3-4-scheme, so he should need some time to develop before pushing for playing time. His inconsistency should also cause his draft stock to drop. However, he is quick and athletic for his size, so there is a lot to like about his upside. He also is an instinctive pass rusher. Hickman projects as a second-day pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11381&draftyear=2007

He also played under Dwayne Walker, our former secondary coach under Williams. They ran a similar D. Actually, theirs worked last year.

Justin was second in the nation in sacks per game last year.

SIGN FREE AGENT K TYLER FREDRICKSON

Name Position College

Terry Caulley RB Connecticut

Daniel Francis CB LSU

Stephon Heyer OL Maryland

Justin Hickman DE UCLA

Sam Hollenbach QB Maryland

Zach Latimer LB Oklahoma

Marcus Mason RB Youngstown State

Taylor Sele WR Boston College

Deyon Williams WR Virginia

I notice differences between this official list and the list started by Bufford on the (Un)Official Undrafted Free Agent thread.

Edit (10:00am 4/30)

Here is who I've been told we've signed.

Keenan Carter DT Virginia

Fontel Mines, TE/WR

Deyon Williams, WR

Sam Hollenbach, QB, Maryland

Jesse Wendt, WR, Wisconsin-Stout

Pete Schmitt, TE,Wisconsin-Whitewater (Try-Out)

Taylor Sele, WR, Boston College

Zach Latimer MLB Ok

Justin Hickman DE UCLA

Ryan Cubit, QB, Western Michigan (Try-Out)

Terry Caulley, RB, Connecticut

Tucker Peterson OG UNH

Now specifically about Carter (since he's that rare breed of player that plays DLine... is it possible the team releases a 2nd presser about additional signings? In past years I've just read about them in the paper so I don't know if the signings are announced in groups or not.

I think adding another kicker was absolutely necessary (Fredrickson). Even if he doesn't make the team, it'll spell Suisham during training camp. That's odd though, another kicker we picked up off the Dallas scrap heap.

I notice differences between this official list and the list started by Bufford on the (Un)Official Undrafted Free Agent thread.

Now specifically about Carter (since he's that rare breed of player that plays DLine... is it possible the team releases a 2nd presser about additional signings? In past years I've just read about them in the paper so I don't know if the signings are announced in groups or not.

I think adding another kicker was absolutely necessary (Fredrickson). Even if he doesn't make the team, it'll spell Suisham during training camp. That's odd though, another kicker we picked up off the Dallas scrap heap.

I'm hoping that we still get Carter. He seemed to be worth taking a look at.

The unofficial list has guys that got invites not necessarily signed. I think they'll sign more if they have room on the roster. I didn't catch how many openings for UDFAs they actually had.

12.5 sacks in a BCS conference for this Hickman character... intriguing...

But from what I'm reading about him he is way undersized and was project to switch to OLB in the NFL. Could still be a Chris Clemons type player though I guess.

Archived