Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release:SKINS AGREE TO TERMS WITH 9 UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FA;SIGN FA K FREDRICKSON

TK

For those of you that don't know, Marcus Mason is local... played high school ball at Gtown Prep and is from Potomac. Great pickup, here's a link to an article I posted on him a few weeks ago... worth checking out the youtube video.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196163

Great pickup! Liked what I saw on YT. Kid reminds me of Joe Morris of the yesteryear NY Giants. He has great vision and is fast as lightning from the YT video.

Stephon Heyer is a VERY solid Offensive Lineman. Good pick up. I don't really know the rest except for Hollenbach. He is alright at times, but seriously underthrows many passes. He has missed a few open receivers on deep routes by overthrowing on occasion, or just completely missing them. Shoulder durability was an issue, but if that is healed up he is fine. Looked great at Champs (I went down to FL to see the game).

Heyer is a good get. He had a terrible knee injury two years ago and even though he played every game this year he wasn't as fluid as he was before the injury. If he can get back to where he was before the knee he would be a nice pickup. He's friggin huge and might be worth a try at guard.

Hollenbach won't be here long.

12.5 sacks in a BCS conference for this Hickman character... intriguing...

But from what I'm reading about him he is way undersized and was project to switch to OLB in the NFL. Could still be a Chris Clemons type player though I guess.

His report(s) are not overly flattering...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/20869.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/justinhickman.html

Justin Hickman

SI Grade 3.15 [sI Grading System]

Position: DE

Class: Sr

School:UCLA

Conference:Pacific-10

Ht., Wt.:6-1.5, 255

40 Time:4.82

BIOGRAPHY: Junior college transfer who started at UCLA the past two years. All-Conference selection last year and received some All-American consideration after posting 42/19/12.5. Junior totals were 31/5.5/8.

POSITIVES: Undersized pass rusher who creates a lot of havoc up the field. Plays with good balance and pursues with speed from the backside. Fires through the gaps up the field, works his hands throughout the action and is deceptively strong.

NEGATIVES: Handled at the point by opposing tight ends and easily wired by blocks. Can be a liability in run defense and lacks a physical nature to his game.

ANALYSIS: A productive pass rusher in college, Hickman lacks the size to be an every-down defensive end at the next level. Can be used as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but he must start doing more than just pinning his ears back and rushing up the field.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Nice pick ups, but Hollenbach out of Maryland IMO won't make it. I watched a few of the games when he played, and the guys awful. Even though he may have broken some records, the guy decision making and accuracy is terrible IMO.

But 12 sacks is always good for a DL. I'm just hoping guys like London Fletcher can motivate some of these under sized players we drafted like one of the LB's and hopefully Hickman. Because London was in the same situation coming into the league and was also drafted late if I can recall. Actually, don't remember, but I think he wasn't even drafted at all.

But London can motivate these guys and show them what an under sized player can go if he works hard and believe in himself.

You guys should really check out that YouTube video of Mason. This guy could be a real steal. He's a 1-AA player, but he dominates that level of competition like you would expect a superior athlete to.

He's short, but good sized at 215lbs. He runs with a low center of gravity and breaks tackles. And man can that kid hit the holes. If there's a hole, he's just gone, and outruns everyone.

The Redskins are plenty solid at the running back position, but if this Mason kid can translate his skills to the next level, then the Skins might be able to trade one of their top two backs for some D-line help at some point. Problem is, we probably won't get a good feel for Mason until the preseason is about over.

Watch that video. The kid can fly!

Terry Caulley is a local product too. Graduated from Patuxent High School (close to Solomons Island in Calvert County) in 2002 and was All Post or All Met or something... good ballplayer when he was high school, he just couldn't seem to stay healthy when he was at UConn...

Ok, as a former Bruins fan, now USC student, I feel I can provide some insight to Hickman. Up until his senior season, he was an underachiever. Dewayne Walker really coached him up, along with Bruce Davis who also got 12.5 sacks. Anyway, Hickman is a real leader, and he terrorized the Trojans in that game back in December.

He lacks the incredible burst, but he's got some moves to get to the QB. I see him being a situational pass rusher as his play against the run is suspect. I fear that his lack of size and speed will get him gobbled up by a good OT. We'll see how Blache and Williams use him.

I think the Caully statemnet of holding every major rushing record in school history is a little misleading. I don't think they had a football team until like 2002 or 2003. Still a good pick up though hopefully he can mak it as a return man

While that may be true Caully had impressive numbers against some decent long time I-A programs He may not a reggie bush or anything like that but he's a solid runner.

You guys should really check out that YouTube video of Mason. This guy could be a real steal. He's a 1-AA player, but he dominates that level of competition like you would expect a superior athlete to.

He's short, but good sized at 215lbs. He runs with a low center of gravity and breaks tackles. And man can that kid hit the holes. If there's a hole, he's just gone, and outruns everyone.

The Redskins are plenty solid at the running back position, but if this Mason kid can translate his skills to the next level, then the Skins might be able to trade one of their top two backs for some D-line help at some point. Problem is, we probably won't get a good feel for Mason until the preseason is about over.

Watch that video. The kid can fly!

:cheers: He is a very good RB.AS D1-AA players go but I hope he makes the team in some copacity.

I can dream because if you have heard of Ron Jawarski, "Jaws", he also went to Youngstown State. :applause:

Not sure if this is in the FA thread, but here's the list that Draftdaddy says we have:

Washington

Undrafted Free Agents:

Sam Hollenbach, QB, Maryland

Jesse Wendt, WR, Wisconsin-Stout

Pete Schmitt, TE, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Try-Out)

Taylor Sele, WR, Boston College

Ryan Cubit, QB, Western Michigan (Try-Out)

Terry Caulley, RB, Connecticut

Tucker Peterson, OG, New Hampshire

Zach Latimer, LB, Oaklahoma

Eli Nichols, DL, Duke

John Talley, CB, Duke

Daniel Francis, CB, L.S.U.

Stephon Heyer, OT, Maryland

Deyon Williams, WR, Virginia

Marcus Mason, RB, Youngstown State

:doh:

I would make fun of the education at USC, but it's bad form to make fun of slow college kids. The kids on the short bus have to go to college somewhere. Good luck with the basket weaving degree.

Well, if you really must know SoCal, I got into Berkeley and chose to go to USC instead. I'm currently a student at the #1 film school in the world. Basket weaving? Keep talking, chump.

Archived