Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

here is my weekend.....actually, the excavation took place the weekend before this past one. then last friday, we laid 3 tons of crusher gravel and one ton of sand, then 700 some odd pavers. here ya' go:

here's the excavation, w/ lil' dude helpin' out:

DSCN2402.jpg

Outstanding job Major. :cheers: Really turned out great.

I worked as a landscaper in college... I've done dozens of those patios... I know how much work they are, and how much of a ***** they are to get level :laugh: Good showing :cheers:

here is my weekend.....actually, the excavation took place the weekend before this past one. then last friday, we laid 3 tons of crusher gravel and one ton of sand, then 700 some odd pavers. here ya' go:

Nice. :thumbsup:

Wife wants to put a patio in our backyard sometime this summer. We'll see how that goes.

probably need a stud finder...

Save your money on the stud finder, most of them work for crap! (i have to find studs alot for my job) The best device to use is your knuckles, and your ears, its easy to find them, if it sound hollow, no stud :)

Also some places use 12 inch studs, some use 16, rarely you'll run into 24 inch studs

I just moved into an apartment. Any ideas on how to put shelving onto the walls? I understand the first thing I'd need to do is get approval from management. I just want to put a few nails into the wall, and set up a bracket with some shelves... probably need a stud finder...

We're limited on space and I want to put my computer up on a shelf instead of on the desk.

Yes I am a home improvement rookie. There's probably some $20 kit from home depot I can buy.

I would look into hercules hooks if you want something easy. No lie, I got them and they are a breeze--takes about 3 seconds. They hold up pictures, mirrors, shelves, whatever. If you watch the goofy video with the informercial freak on their site you can see how it's done. I bought them cheap online, you just have to search around.

For shelf brackets that carry a heavy load, these work like a champ. You can use 2-1/2 inch screws into pre-drilled holes in the studs and you can practically sit on them. For the shelving you can either go for MDF or dimensional glued pine (looks like a butchers block) shelving found near the specialty lumber. Personally I like the natural look of the pine although it's a bit more expensive, but not by much.

Great Thread!

Since I've done a little rehab work the past year: 3 houses, 1 - total rehab, 1 light remodel and 1 sugar coat. Oh yeah and now that I am finally back in NOVA the wife and I bought...you guessed it a fixer upper :doh:

Anyway here is a little of my handy work...

That is some great work, DoubleB. The tile I put down in the kitchen is just the "stick-on" variety. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of real tile, but I'll probably wind up putting it in at some point.

Zoony, thanks for the kind comments. We tried to sell our house last year (bad timing, I know), the number one complaint we got was that the kitchen was out of date. Hopefully whenver we put it back on the market the work that was done will take care of that noise.

What is that red drill??? You don't have a Black and Decker do you???? :silly:

:nutkick:

Awesome, Charlie already has more drills than I do.

Here is a pic of the guy that helps me with my projects:

Be careful with that guy... he's done a few projects for me over the years. He has trouble getting things square and level :silly:

what color bathroom tiles look the best?

I can choose any kind I want for my shower/bathtub. and also the paint of the bathroom.

thoughts?

Personally, I like the way that granite looks on bathroom walls.

But my wife is a little apprehensive about that, so we just went with white.

I'll talk her into it sooner or later.

Slate or Travertine are my favorites. Travertine tiles are really expensive and slate is a pain to work with, but it looks great.

As for paint...I stink at picking colors, but since it is a bathroom go with someting light.

I can choose any kind I want for my shower/bathtub. and also the paint of the bathroom.

thoughts?

I have a similar assistant when I'm working on a project. I hate to admit it, but this is my go to "assistant"

key.jpg

Cheap and they only sell it in 24 packs (in 30 packs in FL)

millerlitecantin.jpg

thoughts?

I would stay with a colored tile, but make sure it is a neutral earth tone. Also, I would recommend getting a tile with some texture to it (not smooth-glazed).

That seems to be what most people/builders are doing nowadays for resale value.

*edit*

Also... be sure to use "dirt" colored grout. You'll be glad you did, trust me. :)

Yup, that is what you want in your bathroom. Unsanded grout as far as I know is used only for Marble.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/Grout/PolyblendSandedTile.aspx?user=diy%E2%8C%A9=en

is "sanded grout" a real thing?

I mean, can I tell my Brazilian contractors to go out and get "sanded grout" and they will know what I am talking about?

thanks for the advice- I will go with your ideas

millerlitecantin.jpg

:cool:

Don't drink while/before you use power tools. Actually it's good practice to have a beer after you finish so you can relax, beer in hand and survey the damage..errrr.....finished job. :applause:

Personally, I like the way that granite looks on bathroom walls.

But my wife is a little apprehensive about that, so we just went with white.

I'll talk her into it sooner or later.

I went with Mosaic style tiles...I like them:

38413801it3.jpg

Looks nicer now the grouting is finished...

Yup, that is what you want in your bathroom. Unsanded grout as far as I know is used only for Marble.

Actually, unsanded grout is used in many applications, in fact any time you drop below a 3'16" grout line, sanded grout should never be used. That article/advertisement is BS.

You should also use unsanded for transitions like going from tile to wood like in a bathroom to wood hallway.

In a typical track home unsanded grout is used in shower stall walls more than 50% of the time.

we used unsanded grout on the walls in our bathroom. my wife wanted to do this artsy thing she saw on trading spaces.

You done good!