Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Round 6 analysis: Blades falls to 'Skins

bubba9497

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6754986

click link for full article

Round 6 analysis: Blades falls to 'Skins

After Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Troy Smith was chosen with the final pick of the fifth round, the players remaining on the board for the sixth round were mostly an anonymous bunch. You might not know many of the players selected in the draft's penultimate round, but here are some things you should know.

BEST PICKS

1. Pittsburgh linebacker H.B. Blades lasted until the sixth round largely because scouts are concerned that at 5-foot-10 and 235-pounds, he's not big enough to play linebacker in the NFL. But Blades was so tough against the run in college that he should have erased those concerns. The Redskins finally chose Blades 179th overall, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams must be thrilled.

JUST WONDERING

Will UTEP quarterback Jordan Palmer, chosen by the Redskins 205th overall, be on the roster in 2008, the next time Washington plays Cincinnati and Jordan's older brother, Carson?

Agreed, I absolutely love this pick. Especially with a guy like London Fletcher showing him the ropes. Blades should really look up to this guy, as he is living proof that a 5-10 MLB can not only make it in the NFL, but be one of the best. I'm very optimisitic that one day Fletcher will pass the torch onto H.B. Blades. I guess I should just hope he makes the roster first though. :)

BIGGEST SURPRISES

Dallas Sartz, linebacker, Redskins: Sartz is an odd athlete: he's very tall and thin for a linebacker, but at 230-pounds he's too big to play safety. He's very fast and instinctive, so he may stick as a nickel linebacker, but he has a long injury history, and scouts believe he will always be a liability against the run because linemen can get under his pads.

Anyway, Sartz's scouting report isn't surprising. His name is. The Redskins selected a player named "Landry" and a player named "Dallas" in one draft. They must be messing with their Cowboys-hating fans on purpose. If they draft someone named "Aikman" in the seventh round, then we know the fix is in.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6754070

Yea, but what upside did Simon have? H.B. Blades has the pedigree and results on the field to prove he was worth at least a 3rd round pick, not just a 6th rounder. His dad and 2 uncles played in the NFL, and he was a great player in college. I just hope he cracks the roster, cus if he does, we'll get our Antonio Pierce back.

I hope Blade sticks... But they said the exact same thing about Simon, the Tennessee MLB last year. Great player, just short... well he got cut. :doh:

But Blades produced a helluva a lot more. Just check out his college stats. And he wasnt injury prone like Simon was. And he wasn't a 7th round pick like Simon was.

He was a 6th rounder, and will be on the team this season. 6th rounders don't get cut as much as the late project picks in the 7th like Simon. Blades is too much of a stud to get cut. Trust me. The numbers don't lie.

BIGGEST SURPRISES

Dallas Sartz, linebacker, Redskins: Sartz is an odd athlete: he's very tall and thin for a linebacker, but at 230-pounds he's too big to play safety. He's very fast and instinctive, so he may stick as a nickel linebacker, but he has a long injury history, and scouts believe he will always be a liability against the run because linemen can get under his pads.

Anyway, Sartz's scouting report isn't surprising. His name is. The Redskins selected a player named "Landry" and a player named "Dallas" in one draft. They must be messing with their Cowboys-hating fans on purpose. If they draft someone named "Aikman" in the seventh round, then we know the fix is in.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6754070

I really didnt understand this pick, he seems like atmost he will be a good ST player.

Sartz makes even more sense (above the fact he was a team leader he got it done on the field) now that Gibbs has said that Washington will be used more to rush the passer.

2 LBs who were productive team leaders in college being put into special teams while they learn from 2 of the better players around in their respective positions. Got to love those 2 picks especially when you take into account how low down they were.

I hope this draft shows the value of the extra attention we put on the lower rounds this year due lack of picks in rounds 2 through 4. While nothing is certain I think we really stepped up this year with our scouting.

Goes to show just how valuable draft picks can be when used right.

Good job Redskins!

Isn't ST over 230? Not that I'm saying this guy should play safety. I just don't get why you rule a guy that's 230 lbs too heavy for the position. He might be too slow at that weight, but it can't be by weight alone.

Of course ST is a freak so...

Well you answer your own question. ST is a freak and not your prototypical safety. Most can't play safety at 232 lbs AND cover a lot of ground with speed like. I mean if you have two guys that can do the same thing but on is bigger, you always go with the bigger guy and that what ST is at safety; bigger than any safety in the league.

And agree with others, I believe H.B. Blades was a huge steal. He is like a clone of Fletcher-Baker and comes from good bloodlines (his dad Benny Blades and uncle Brian Blades). And boy can he hit in coverage. I think he will learn a lot from Fletcher and may our future at MLB once Fletcher calls it a career.

Well you answer your own question. ST is a freak and not your prototypical safety. Most can't play safety at 232 lbs AND cover a lot of ground with speed like. I mean if you have two guys that can do the same thing but on is bigger, you always go with the bigger guy and that what ST is at safety; bigger than any safety in the league.

Thanx for the clarification :obvious:

:laugh:

1. Pittsburgh linebacker H.B. Blades lasted until the sixth round largely because scouts are concerned that at 5-foot-10 and 235-pounds, he's not big enough to play linebacker in the NFL. But Blades was so tough against the run in college that he should have erased those concerns. The Redskins finally chose Blades 179th overall, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams must be thrilled.

I too was impressed with this pick. Frankly, I think we should have taken him in the fifth. Give Fletcher a year or two with this guy and Blades will be our future middle linebacker, stuffing the run and allowing Rocky to roam like a gazelle.

Will UTEP quarterback Jordan Palmer, chosen by the Redskins 205th overall, be on the roster in 2008, the next time Washington plays Cincinnati and Jordan's older brother, Carson?

I hope so. That would be funny.

I am wondering if the Blades selection was based largely on the fact that we signed London Fletcher. Fletch had the knock on him that he was too small, and quite frankly has to do a lot of things to make up for his size.

Fletcher can be an excellent teacher to Blades, demonstarting not only how to get by, but how to excell despite his size. I wonder if that played into selecting him.

Blades is the perfect fit (size-wise) for a middle backer. Although he is only slightly heavier then Sartz, he is so much bigger because he is smaller. He's low to the ground so he'll have good leverage and has incredible size and strength for his height. I agree with everyone on here that I am stoked about this pick and I think he'll be a great future ball player for us. Definately the type of player you want to have around.

Archived