Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Rocky and TJ Duckett cost us . . .

Slateman

In my mind, these are the two biggest blunders in last year's offseason. Archuletta only cost us money. And Loyd . . . Loyd may still end up being worth a 4th rounder.

However, Rocky cost us this year's 2nd rounder. Now, linebacker was a need, but I'm not convinced we had to trade up to get him.

In effect, the move to get get Rocky has cost us one of the three players:

1. Eric Weddle - Probably not a need if we got Landry, but could play corner.

2. Chris Houston - A solid corner prospect.

3. LaMarr Woodley - Remember how we only had 19 sacks last year? This guy would have helped. A lot. It would have been a reach, but it would have been worth it. Woodley is gonna be a monster on the end. Now we're gonna watch him play OLB for the Steelers.

The Skins traded this year's third rounder for TJ Duckett. TJ carried the ball 38 times for 132 yards. I mean, Portis was supposed to come back by week 5 and we already had Ladell Betts. But the team didn't trust Betts enough, and they rushed Portis. Which still baffles me as to why we would still bother to get Duckett.

Possible picks for our trade 3rd roudner:

1. Marcus McCauley - Just the kind of corner that GW likes. Bit, fast, and physical.

2. DeMarcus 'Tank' Tyler - 6-3, 323. Lots of motor but not so great technique. Man, in a year or two, him and Golsten would be great at collapsing the pocket.

3. Charles Johnson - 6-2, 270. A little on the short side, but still has some skill. Think of a younger version of Phillip Daniels with a little more acceleration and lots more durability.

All of these guys were available with where we would have picked. Where are all the people who claimed it was better to take a known commodity instead of a "risky draft pick?"

I just look at that list and think of what could have been . . .

However, Rocky cost us this year's 2nd rounder. Now, linebacker was a need, but I'm not convinced we had to trade up to get him.

I am. There was only one LB picked between where we would have picked and where we did pick, which tells me that there was a serious dropoff in talent there. Whether or not it was worth it will be a question that will be answered over time.

Jason

In effect, the move to get get Rocky has cost us one of the three players:

1. Eric Weddle - Probably not a need if we got Landry, but could play corner.

2. Chris Houston - A solid corner prospect.

3. LaMarr Woodley - Remember how we only had 19 sacks last year? This guy would have helped. A lot. It would have been a reach, but it would have been worth it. Woodley is gonna be a monster on the end. Now we're gonna watch him play OLB for the Steelers.

Possible picks for our trade 3rd roudner:

1. Marcus McCauley - Just the kind of corner that GW likes. Bit, fast, and physical.

2. DeMarcus 'Tank' Tyler - 6-3, 323. Lots of motor but not so great technique. Man, in a year or two, him and Golsten would be great at collapsing the pocket.

3. Charles Johnson - 6-2, 270. A little on the short side, but still has some skill. Think of a younger version of Phillip Daniels with a little more acceleration and lots more durability.

We certainly wouldn't have needed Weddle, Houston, or McCauley. Rogers, Smoot, and Macklin aren't enough as it is, even counting the likely health problems of Springs?

Woodley will make a better 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE, bank on it, so that's fine. Tank Tyler would've been good though, and ESPECIALLY Charles Johnson. Our FO really wussed out by not trying to make a trade up offer to the middle of the 3rd round for Johnson. High motor, doesn't quit on plays, and was basically the second best DE in the SEC last year behind Anderson. Not trading up for him will likely come back to haunt us.

I believe we could have gone DE or DT if the front office didn't screw up the Ryan Clark contract....hence we go safety....just add that to the list.
Eh. I'm pretty sure Landry will be a lot better than Ryan Clark was. Clark was just essentially a hard worker who fit well into our system- Landry is an incredible athlete who could make the starting safety job at probably most NFL teams.

The Rocky trade was a lot, but at least we got (hopefully) a long-term contributor.

The Duckett trade really grinds my gears, though. It was such a panic move, and it cost us, at worst, a warm body to throw into a DL rotation. There were some nice fits available at that pick in Tyler and Johnson, and even Brandon Mebane. I sure would have liked to have gotten a shot at one of those guys to go along with Landry...

Hopefully tomorrow we will use our picks WISELY. I can't help but think I wouldn't mind seeing us take a chance on the HUGE D-Lineman that played in Community College and can do standing backflips and such. Marcus Thomas from Florida is still available. If we really want a WR, Aundrey Allison from ECU might be someone that could be had if move up a little bit.

Just hope we are smart with the four picks we have tomorrow. Maybe we can trade one our 6ths and our 7th to get a higher 6th or low 5th round or something. Tomorrow will be interesting to say the least.

The Skins traded this year's third rounder for TJ Duckett. TJ carried the ball 38 times for 132 yards.

I think Rocky was worth it. I like what little I saw last year, especially when he ran onto the field late and still stuffed a short yardage play. Hopefully Coach Gregg plays him this year.

The T.J. Duckett trade is a front office move that will take along time to get over. It is maybe one of the greatest blunders of all time. The whole T.J. Duckett situation actually makes me wonder how much emotion and loyalty I should invest in a team this badly misrun, it's that bad. Do you realize that we could draft Michael Bush with that pick? Excuse me while I ram my head into a wall. Absolutely sickening.

Way too early to say "what Rocky cost us". Because what we have gotten out of trading for Rocky is yet to be determined.

As for the prospects you listed off, put this post in your pocket and get back with us in 3 years with the "I told you so's". All 6 of those prospects may be the second coming of nothing special. Just like TJ.

I really don't mind the trade up for McIntosh.

Although hind-sight is 20/20 that trade for Duckett hurts. Missing out on a Tank Tyler or Charles Johnson, while not monumental, is where a nice building block is missing...We could've had a very nice prospect, at a position of need, for very little moolah...

I really wouldn't have second guessed the FO if they had given up next years' 2nd rounder to get either. Looks like the FO really meant it when they said they wanted to keep next year's draft intact.

I believe we could have gone DE or DT if the front office didn't screw up the Ryan Clark contract....hence we go safety....just add that to the list.

Ryan Clark? :doh: I love how this average player at best has been elevated to star status. Exactly how did he do in Pittsburg last year? Is he still in the starting line-up? If I remember correctly Archuleta, the guy most of you think was an absolute bum made more tackles in 1/2 a season than Clark did in Pitt.

Duckett was a panic move and you rarely make a good move when you are panicked. The 'skins believed (as most of us did) that they were going to soar. They were coming off two great defensive years, and were a couple of injuries aways from being in the Championship game. Heck, many of us even felt pretty good about Brunell. Portis' injury threw us into a tailspin and in order to try to salvage the Superbowl aspirations they overpaid for Duckett.

If their predictions were right and the 'skins made it to the Superbowl, they still would have overpaid, but no one would have cared. The fact that they really fell apart and could not put Humpty back together, made Duckett even worse than a desperation move. It became a desperation move that we overpaid for and never utilized. Hopefully, there's a lesson learned there about acting in haste and panic.

I am. There was only one LB picked between where we would have picked and where we did pick, which tells me that there was a serious dropoff in talent there. Whether or not it was worth it will be a question that will be answered over time.

Jason

The draft isn't linear like that. Only one linebacker did go between Rocky and our original pick but that's hardly proof that Rocky would have been there. A bunch of teams that passed on a linebacker in the 2nd round took one in the 3rd or 4th, meaning they were looking at the position and very well have taken Rocky if he had been available since he was generally rated much higher than all the linebackers that were left (except Thomas Howard who went 3 picks later.)

Archived