Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Rocky and TJ Duckett cost us . . .

Slateman

And if Betts hadn't of stepped up and Duckett ran for 1000 yards behind our great O line. If our D hadn't gotten injured. If Brunell played better. We might have been hosting the Bears in the Championship game.

What if we stopped bringing up this Duckett deal and looked to the future.

What if Briggs goes to the Pro bowl again and whoever picked after #31 is an all pro as well

What if we go to the Bowl this year and people start thinking our FO is doing something right? Now that would be scary.

Duckett was a panic move and you rarely make a good move when you are panicked. The 'skins believed (as most of us did) that they were going to soar. They were coming off two great defensive years, and were a couple of injuries aways from being in the Championship game. Heck, many of us even felt pretty good about Brunell. Portis' injury threw us into a tailspin and in order to try to salvage the Superbowl aspirations they overpaid for Duckett.

If their predictions were right and the 'skins made it to the Superbowl, they still would have overpaid, but no one would have cared. The fact that they really fell apart and could not put Humpty back together, made Duckett even worse than a desperation move. It became a desperation move that we overpaid for and never utilized. Hopefully, there's a lesson learned there about acting in haste and panic.

I can live with the fact that they gave up a third-round pick for one year of service from Duckett. What I have a problem with is they didn't use him. It's like they didn't know what to do with him once they got him which seems to indicate that their plan wasn't well thought out. This was gross incompetence by the FO.

Hopefully the FO now understands that draft picks are more than bargaining chips, but young, inexpensive talent that can really upgrade a football team.

What if we stopped bringing up this Duckett deal and looked to the future.

At the time, I was all for the Duckett deal. It's what was revealed that happened internally that has turned this into a debacle.

It has been revealed that Earnest Byner went to Gibbs and told him that he felt Betts could do the job if Portis wasn't healthy and that he didn't think that we need Duckett and Gibbs overruled his position coach and still made the panic move.

Byner was proven correct and even if he weren't and Betts stunk, Duckett wasn't even active for many games and given a chance to justify the trade anyway. Hey if Duckett was given a couple of games to carry the load and stunk and then we go to Betts, fine. But Betts was our main guy the whole time when Clinton was out, both early in the season and then late as well.

It was an awful organizational decision and I think continuing to bring it up is healthy because the shame of that move should hopefully keep this FO from making the same blunder again if and when there is an injury in training camp or the preseason. I mean we still do have 6 of our 7 picks next year. Awfully tempting to start dealing those for a "proven" player when an injury strikes.

It's real simple here people. The Redskins have tried to build a team through free agency and fill holes with the draft. I think after numerous years of failure, this method is not working. I would much rather build a team through the draft and fill holes with free agency. I just feel the player aquired through the draft is better because they have everything to lose. While the free agent with a fat contract and and ungodly bonus may or may not show up. They've already got the money. Where's the incentive to perform?

The franchise pattern is the Patriots. Gibbs said so himself. They need to grow some spine and stick to what works...even if it brings short term pain. Looks like we are nearly halfway there if we can get through day 2 without any moves affecting next years draft. Then just get through the remaining FA period this year without stupidity rearing its ugly head.

The thing that set us back last year more than the injuries was Al Saunders. Every new OC takes some adjustment time but his approach was to not use skill people in the way they should be/had been used. System driven by Ego rather than existing skill set. Pathetic.

To be a Skins fan is much like being a Ring Bearer. You just gotta be sincere.

I am not concerned about the Mcintosh trade because he will eventually be a Pro Bowl type player, but TJ Duckett you have to sratch your head because that pick would be real useful and the Redskins could have gotten a good impact dl but that is hind sight and they should just not trade any of next years picks away and draft the rest of the draft for needs, a speed rusher if there is one and depth at CB I think Golston will have a big season this year so DT will not be as big of a deal as some people think.

Archived