Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've worked on the DL for the past two years

Mr.Z

You've got it backwards: improving the DL would help the secondary, but improving the secondary doesn't really do much for the DL. The DL has had trouble getting after the passer for years. Fix it or continue to suffer.

Both are true, actually. I think what you are saying is that d-line is more important, and to that I agree 100%. However, what I said was that improved LB corps helps, as well.

:)

Here's a good article about drafting DL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10125669

"The six teams that have played in the last three Super Bowls have had very good defensive lines with lots of sacks. Only one team, the 2006 Colts, had fewer than 40 sacks in the regular season, and the average of the six Super Bowl teams was 42.3 sacks. To win games, teams must be able to stop the run and pressure the passer, which helps defensive backs play well. Defensive ends that can apply pressure from the quarterback's blind side are a real asset."

Drafting quality D-lineman doesnt just come from the 1st 2 rounds. You can find that all through-out the draft. Better luck finding some is in the 3rd and 4th rounds. You get more bang for your buck.

Its not that they arent sexy enough, its if we try to plug any of these guys in there for what we pay them they wont be able to handle a seasoned O-line especially in the NFC East.

But yes we could very well find some good ones in the first 2 rounds, only problem is we only have 1 first day pick.

You couldn't be further than the truth. Nearly every single top notch DT or DE has been drafted within the first two rounds.

Vince Wilfork (1st),

Richard Seymour (1st)

Marcus Stroud (1st),

John Henderson (1st)

Tommie Harris (1st)

Shaun Rogers (2nd)

Damione Lewis (1st)

Kris Jenkins (2nd)

Kevin Williams (1st)

to name a few . . .

You started out with the condesending remarks, or is your ADD that bad?

And I guess you missed the "as a child" part of living with my father, so your reading comp needs to work too.

Besides the fact that I responded to your condisending remark in kind, and you misread that I lived with my dad through highschool, did you actually read the meat of the post?

And most people think I'm a real nice guy actually. Who'd have thunk it! :laugh:

your right, i didnt read your last post. "I'll take living with my father (PH.D in Philophy) as a kid over any junk single course you took in college." maybe its your sentence composition that needs help. i am sure i wasn't the only one confused

If i was condesending, i apologize, nothing was directed at you. but your "go watch some tape" comment was just plain a**hole quality.

but this can go on all day, so i am dropping it. Talk about the skins or find a new thread.

Here's a good article about drafting DL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10125669

"The six teams that have played in the last three Super Bowls have had very good defensive lines with lots of sacks. Only one team, the 2006 Colts, had fewer than 40 sacks in the regular season, and the average of the six Super Bowl teams was 42.3 sacks. To win games, teams must be able to stop the run and pressure the passer, which helps defensive backs play well. Defensive ends that can apply pressure from the quarterback's blind side are a real asset."

Wow nice find. I believe that all of Gregg Williams pressure comes from a rushing LB, CB, or S and not so much the DE.

You saw what Campbell did to their secondary. Gosh, how did he do it considering all the studs on the Giants D line?

Now look at the Cowboys -- they have Spears, Canty, Ellis, Ware. Scary stuff. Ellis was hurt last year but otherwise they where healthy. But still they talk about how they get burned in the secondary.

Yeah no question having a good d line is important but my point is if we have questions about the D lineman in the draft and think Landry is a stud. It doesn't strike me that we just have to suck it up and take a chance on the D lineman becuase a great secondary is meaningless if we don't have a great D line -- we all watched the Skins the two years where our D was top 10. We had great linebacker play and secondary what was special about our D line then?

Our OL is good at not giving up the sack (plus I believe it was the Gnats game that JC showed some good legs and even a hand off, but not sure).

No one is saying that DL can do it without LBs and DBs. They can't it's a team game. What we are saying is that no matter how good your LBs and DBs with a porous DL like we had last year your team will suck. As we did.

The 'skins D was good, now it looks like other teams know what we try and do and game plan (successfully too) for it. Add a 2 Gap DT so the run is stuffed and GW's D will have a chance. Add a DE that can stop the run and rush the passer as well as the DT and it will be much harder for teams to game plan (read beat) for GW's D.

As we stand now teams who play us know the pass rush is coming from Carter or a LB/DB. But most teams won't need to worry about our now simplified pass rush because they will be running on us all game. Sure you can say we have upgraded LBs/S (for those who want Landry) to tackle them, but that just stops the 30 yard runs, it won't stop the 5 yard run, 5 yard run, 5 yard run and on and on that kills teams. Tackle machine that Fletcher is he will struggle when he has an OL pancaking him every running play and if it's our safeties making the tackle a first or close to has already been given up.

Even if we had the first pick in the first round we should still be drafting DL (though with a better trade down, possibly multiple times).

i also had an interesting discussion with a huge life long bills fans who claims that fletcher is one of the best MLB in football ONLY WHEN he has great DTs in front of him. fletchers most productive years were when he had a good sam adams in front of him clogging that middle. so we better address the DL with DTs in this draft or were doomed.

I am cool with a DT assuming our scouts have it right, just wouldn't want an average to slightly above average DT if Landry looks like a stud. If lets say they think Okoye is a stud or close enough to being a stud DT, I'd be happy if we drafted a DT.

While I do agree that we need to draft DL in a high round, I'm starting to really believe that there's no one at DT or DE that's worth the 6th overall pick. The only one who's probably considered the safest choice is Gaines Adams, and we don't need another pass rushing DE. If we get a space eating DT, I promise you that Philip Daniels and Andre Carter are going to look ten times better. I say we trade down, pick up Alan Branch in the 1st round, and then draft a DE in the 2nd round or 3rd round, depending on what extra pick(s) we get from trading down.

While I was for drafting Okoye originally, I'm starting to think he's not the type of guy we're looking for. He's a DT in the same mold as Griffin and Golston, a smaller, quicker, pass rushing DT. We need a big space eater that can take double teams and free up the other 3 linemen on our DLINE.

how can anyone say that weve spent time on our dline or that we have a good dline? its potentially the worst in the nfl, stat wise/age wise/productivity wise. thats not even debatable.

Who do you think in this draft could be a difference maker on the D line? For awhile recently I thought Landry would be our pick, am starting to think more its Okoye. But we've gone on mocks from Branch to Anderson to Adams to Okoye/Landry -- am thinking it will be Okoye.

Who do you think in this draft could be a difference maker on the D line? For awhile recently I thought Landry would be our pick, am starting to think more its Okoye. But we've gone on mocks from Branch to Anderson to Adams to Okoye/Landry -- am thinking it will be Okoye.

im not sure if its branch or okoye. branch is bigger which is like, but if okoye is actually 312 (sometimes listed at 305), hopefully he can bulk up a bit, remember hes only 19 he could still grow. but either one of these would be great.

im not sure if its branch or okoye. branch is bigger which is like, but if okoye is actually 312 (sometimes listed at 305), hopefully he can bulk up a bit, remember hes only 19 he could still grow. but either one of these would be great.
Agreed. You're spot on, once again. Seems no one noticed the comment about how GW blitzs from all angles, and that DTs are needed to open holes for said blitzers. I think Branch is our guy, and I love the fact he's fallen off the face of the earth. We'll get him cheap.

Both are true, actually. I think what you are saying is that d-line is more important, and to that I agree 100%. However, what I said was that improved LB corps helps, as well.

:)

I'll take a bad secondary/great DL over a great secondary/bad DL anyday. For some reason we seem to focus our efforts on overhauling our secondary every year... but forget the DL.

Wynn is 33. Daniels is 34. Salavea is 32. Griffin is 31. Carter is 28. That's pretty glaring evidence that the DL has been ignored for too long. We need an overhaul, and just one pick won't do it.

I'm all for upgrading the LB corps, but it's pretty low on my list of priorities.

I'll take a bad secondary/great DL over a great secondary/bad DL anyday. For some reason we seem to focus our efforts on overhauling our secondary every year... but forget the DL.

Wynn is 33. Daniels is 34. Salavea is 32. Griffin is 31. Carter is 28. That's pretty glaring evidence that the DL has been ignored for too long. We need an overhaul, and just one pick won't do it.

I'm all for upgrading the LB corps, but it's pretty low on my list of priorities.

LB is the least of our worries. washington/fletch/rocky/marshall are all solid LBs and im assuming theyre gonna give this kid trucks a shot this year.

secondary we'll have taylor/smoot/rogers/doughty/prioleau/macklin and maybe springs.

dline we have griff/carter/daniels/?? (because golston should take over for griff, both 1 gap). daniels is downright bad, but if they just want him to stop the run then fine, but hes not getting to any QB this season for sure.

Certainly wouldnt want anyone to turn out like Mario Williams... His career is over.

On a serious note, we havent brought in much younger talent at DL. Our top 6 are... Carter, Griff, Salavea, Golston, Daneils and Wynn. Thats one young guy, one youngish guy and 4 old old guys.

Id say its time we added some youth to the line.

We have needs at LB and the secondary, but we also have great players. We have depth at those spots as well. Do I think Landry is better than PP or OS? Yes. Do I think CJ is better than ARE or BL? Yes. We have vets at depth as well, which is good. Could it use improving? Yes, of course, every single year. But D line doesn't really have any of that. I do think they will be better than last year and we will be improved. D line is the obvious spot for us to draft. If we can't move back and stay at #6, we will still need to draft DT or DE. Even if it's a reach for the player we do get. I like the young DT's we have and I like AC a lot, but thats all we have, bottom line.

the DL was not the worst part of the redskins D last year, yes they were mediocre but not awful

sorry if this has been covered in this thread... it was our LINEBACKING corps last year that was horrific

Marshall and Holdman couldn't shed their man to make a tackle if their life depended on it. They were burned over and over being blocked by rb's, fb's wide receivers.... you name it, they were able to block our LB's.

I tend to agree with the original poster. Our D-Line will be alright next year with Golston Montgomery Carter Griffin and Daniels

And whoever said Wynn was done before he got here hasn't paid attention for the last 4 years. He was our only consistent performer on the D Line for at least the first 3 of those years.

the DL was not the worst part of the redskins D last year, yes they were mediocre but not awful

sorry if this has been covered in this thread... it was our LINEBACKING corps last year that was horrific

Marshall and Holdman couldn't shed their man to make a tackle if their life depended on it. They were burned over and over being blocked by rb's, fb's wide receivers.... you name it, they were able to block our LB's.

I tend to agree with the original poster. Our D-Line will be alright next year with Golston Montgomery Carter Griffin and Daniels

And whoever said Wynn was done before he got here hasn't paid attention for the last 4 years. He was our only consistent performer on the D Line for at least the first 3 of those years.

What????? Ok... You're entitled to your opinion, but in my mind they were the worst part on a bad defense. The couldn't stop the run and they couldn't get the the qb. Even with blitz packages, they rarely got to the qb. I would feel quite comfortable putting my grandmother behind opposing o-lines against last year's squad.

Archived