Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've worked on the DL for the past two years

Mr.Z

I am sure someone will say that this thread has already been started, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it seems like we have been bringing in DL for the past two years. '05 was Griffin, and last year was Carter, Golston, and Montgomery. If we draft DL at #6 we are going to start looking like the vikings. Lets give the guys we've got the chance to step up. I know some of you will say that last year was their chance, but Golston and Mont. were rooks, Griffin was hurt, and it was Carter's first year as a skin (that, and he did turn it on at the end of the season).

Why draft Branch or Adams just for them to turn out like Dan Wilkinson or Mario Williams.

Either move up to get CJ (god's gift to QB's), or move back and get Landry (the Ham to Sean Taylor's burger)

sorry for the misspellings and if that last analogy was kinda gay.

I am sure someone will say that this thread has already been started, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it seems like we have been bringing in DL for the past two years. '05 was Griffin, and last year was Carter, Golston, and Montgomery. If we draft DL at #6 we are going to start looking like the vikings. Lets give the guys we've got the chance to step up. I know some of you will say that last year was their chance, but Golston and Mont. were rooks, Griffin was hurt, and it was Carter's first year as a skin (that, and he did turn it on at the end of the season).

Why draft Branch or Adams just for them to turn out like Dan Wilkinson or Mario Williams.

Either move up to get CJ (god's gift to QB's), or move back and get Landry (the Ham to Sean Taylor's burger)

Totally disagree. Griffin is the only real D-line guy we've broght in here. Wynn and Daniels were done players before they got here. And taking D-line project players in the 5th and 6th rounds don't count.

If you want good D-lineman then you have to draft quality D-lineman and they are found in the first two rounds of the draft. The Problems with skins management and skins fans are that the D-line positions are not "sexy" enough for them to want to take those guys in the first two rounds.

Skins management and fans have to grow up and join the 21st century. Taking D-lineman in the first couple of rounds isn't taboo!

Totally disagree. Griffin is the only real D-line guy we've broght in here. Wynn and Daniels were done players before they got here. And taking D-line project players in the 5th and 6th rounds don't count.

Funny, we're coming off the worst performance by a defensive line in league history, and someone actually believes our work here is done?

Here's a rock-solid guarantee: if our defensive front four doesn't play better, we won't win any more games.

If GW doesn't like to play rookies, I'd rather we moved down to get more picks for depth and building the future D. If we're going to be stuck at #6, then get the best player possible even if he is an offensive player. Obviously a high draft pick RB is not going to do much for us right now, but if we're building for the future, it will allow us to make good trades either after the draft or after the season.

You're kidding right?

Ok, do this. Watch some tape and look at the stats. Then came back and talk to me.

But you probably wont, so I'll spell it out for you. The D-line is the weakest part of the Redskins football team right now. Daneils is 34 and outside of a great game in 05 has been pretty invisible. Griff is good, but is seemingly always injured. Joe is not the player he was (and that was one that was out of the league) and is showing that he cant stay healthy either. Carter looks pretty good. Golston might end up being our starting 1 gap DT in a year or 2 and is a good ratation with Griff. Monty probably wont amount to anything.

So this is what hwe have. Wynn and Daneils at RDE. Which is to say we dont have anyone that is really a starting calibre player. The same goes for the 2 gap DT. Drafting CJ would profide a marginal at best improvment for the offence (and nothing for a horrid defense) and Landry might not be a starter. Even if he ends up one, Safeties dont impact as many plays as the D-Line. And the secondary is very dependent upon the D-Line playing well to be effective.

Also I wouldnt really use a 5th and 6th round picks as examples of "addressing" a position. you're not looking to find starters there, only depth if they even make the team.

I think there are quite a few people on this board who are advocating for a D-Line pick. To insinuate that all Redskins fans are only into the wide receiver/quarterback "sexy" picks is wrong. Of course there are folks who think that Calvin Johnson is a can't miss prospect and would love to have him on the team. So would I, but the need is at D-Line. However, there isn't a D-Tackle worth #6 money. Okoye seems to be the pick du jour from ESPN and some folks on here, but again, I don't know if he's worth #6 money. Could we trade down, pick up some more picks, and still get him later? Again, a question that has been pondered on here for a while. I think that Adam Carriker would be a good pick up. He doesn't fill that DT need, but he does put a 300 pounder on the the line opposite Carter. That would funnel the edge runs to Carter's side and would give the backers an advantage in pursuit.

I see what Mr. Z was saying about Golston and Montgomery, but I just don't know if they're capable of being the DT's the Skins need them to be. I hope they are, so that the Skins can make a pick like Carriker and still stuff the run up the middle as well. It is a tough decision because we don't know how they will progress, so do we take a chance, draft someone else and then have to draft a DT next year because of another porous run D? Or do we draft a DT and Golston and Monty prove they can actually play in this league and now we have extra Tackles?

Lets give the guys we've got the chance to step up. I know some of you will say that last year was their chance, but Golston and Mont. were rooks

and if that last analogy was kinda gay.

How are you going to bring up the point that Golston and Montgomery were only rookies, but at the same time diss Mario Williams for having a lackluster year, and he also was only a rookie last year also.

And yeah, that Landry and Taylor analogy was gay.

You're kidding right?

Ok, do this. Watch some tape and look at the stats. Then came back and talk to me.

But you probably wont, so I'll spell it out for you. The D-line is the weakest part of the Redskins football team right now. Daneils is 34 and outside of a great game in 05 has been pretty invisible. Griff is good, but is seemingly always injured. Joe is not the player he was (and that was one that was out of the league) and is showing that he cant stay healthy either. Carter looks pretty good. Golston might end up being our starting 1 gap DT in a year or 2 and is a good ratation with Griff. Monty probably wont amount to anything.

So this is what hwe have. Wynn and Daneils at RDE. Which is to say we dont have anyone that is really a starting calibre player. The same goes for the 2 gap DT. Drafting CJ would profide a marginal at best improvment for the offence (and nothing for a horrid defense) and Landry might not be a starter. Even if he ends up one, Safeties dont impact as many plays as the D-Line. And the secondary is very dependent upon the D-Line playing well to be effective.

Also I wouldnt really use a 5th and 6th round picks as examples of "addressing" a position. you're not looking to find starters there, only depth if they even make the team.

I understand that you are the most qualified person to make decisions for the skins, but what exactly was the difference in last years DL and the one from 05? maybe it was Noble? No, it was injuries. A lot of people think that high paid personnel make a team, which is incorrect.

oh yeah, i have been watching tape for the past 20 years.

I agree that a team will look for depth in these rounds, but if the guys turn out to be starting caliber, you're not going to sit them down and say, "Now, you're a good player, but we drafted you in the 6th round. We drafted Jimmy in the first round, so even though you're better, we're going to play Jimmy. Enjoy your time on the bench." If it turns out that Golston and Monty are effective starters (I know they weren't last year), and then the Skins pick another DT, that could be an issue.

How are you going to bring up the point that Golston and Montgomery were only rookies, but at the same time diss Mario Williams for having a lackluster year, and he also was only a rookie last year also.

good point.

Hmm lets see we havent added anyone to the D-line and our D finished last in the league last season. And you say our D-line doesnt need help. We have a bunch of old burned out guys on the line. We need to get some young talent in there. I think Landry would be a good player for us. But Sean Taylor needs to have a seasoned vet playing with him. He still needs to be taught, he is not ready to teach.

We just paid a good amount of money for Fletcher...

Shouldnt we invest some money into someone who will free him to do his job...?

And when did paying someone more than what they were worth stop this team?

Money means nothing

Cap means nothing

Draft a DT @ #6 and pay the kid what that spot is worth.

I understand that you are the most qualified person to make decisions for the skins, but what exactly was the difference in last years DL and the one from 05? maybe it was Noble? No, it was injuries. A lot of people think that high paid personnel make a team, which is incorrect.

Well, while the line in 05 was a good run stopping line, it still had problems getting to the QB with the front four for most of the season.

You talk about injuries, but seem to forget that Saleve'a and Griffin were both injured for parts of the 05 and 06 season. Both players are injury risks.

While we did some work last year in rebuilding the line by picking up Carter and two rookie DTs, there is still a lot of work to go. Daniels and Wynn aren't going to last much longer, and we need to find their replacements soon.

Jason

Well, while the line in 05 was a good run stopping line, it still had problems getting to the QB with the front four for most of the season.

You talk about injuries, but seem to forget that Saleve'a and Griffin were both injured for parts of the 05 and 06 season. Both players are injury risks.

While we did some work last year in rebuilding the line by picking up Carter and two rookie DTs, there is still a lot of work to go. Daniels and Wynn aren't going to last much longer, and we need to find their replacements soon.

Jason

I agree that Daniels and Wynn are getting up there in years, but joe seems to want to win now, and i really don't see a rook DL making any impact.

The FO knows we need DL, but they don't want to draft one at #6 because they don't think it is worth the money they wiill have to pay, so they want to trade down, but that is difficult because every other team is thinking the same thing, that its not worth the money. So we need someone who is worth the money (Quinn) to fall to us so that we can trade down, still get a DL player and another pick. That is the ideal situation, just not sure if it will happen...

I agree that Daniels and Wynn are getting up there in years, but joe seems to want to win now, and i really don't see a rook DL making any impact.

All coaches want to win now. While a rookie may not make an impact this year, drafting a guy isn't about the year he's drafted, but for the future. Fact is, in two years (maybe less), Daniels and Wynn will be gone, and we have no one developing behind them.

Jason

We've actually worked on it for three seasons now. Griff was 2004.

While I do think the entire defense for 2007 is a better unit than the 2006 group, the team could use some youth on the d-line. Specifically DT. However, if we head into 2007 with the current roster, I think the d-line will play much better than they did last season, sans injury of course. Reason being our LB corps and secondary are much improved.

Any rookie DT / DE we pick up, I have a very hard time believing that they will see the field this year for any significant amount of playing time. Look at Carlos Rogers, Rocky McIntosh, and Sean Taylor. Whoever we draft will probably not have much of an impact this year. Also, whoever gets drafted it comes down to whether you draft BPA or Need. Personally I am for getting BPA versus drafting for need.

What I'd like to know is where Salave'a is gonna fit in. Wasn't he a pretty good run stopper when healthy?

He was ok, but not good enough to beat out Golston, who happens to be playing out of position starting over Joe.

Which is exactly what happened last year. Golston beat Joe after Joe got healthy. And Joe hasnt even been healthy recently.

All coaches want to win now. While a rookie may not make an impact this year, drafting a guy isn't about the year he's drafted, but for the future. Fact is, in two years (maybe less), Daniels and Wynn will be gone, and we have no one developing behind them.

Jason

I see what your saying, but it seems like we have a better shot building DL through the FA, after they have already proven themselves.

If the skins are so hungry for DL, why have we not heard about Jenkins? we have entertained every other trade possibility.

It seems like Gibbs is not as unsure of the DL as everyone else is.

Golston started 12 of 16 geames for us as a 6th round draft pick. That should tell you 2 things.

1. Rookies do make a impact

2. We dont have a whole lot to work with in that area.

I see what your saying, but it seems like we have a better shot building DL through the FA, after they have already proven themselves.

If the skins are so hungry for DL, why have we not heard about Jenkins? we have entertained every other trade possibility.

It seems like Gibbs is not as unsure of the DL as everyone else is.

All the good D linemen got singed before they hit FA this year. You also get OLDER players in FA, something that is a issue on our line as it is. And the saleries are much much higher. And I hope we are looking at Jenkins, but he has had some issues with injuries, major ones.

Archived