Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've worked on the DL for the past two years

Mr.Z

Certainly wouldnt want anyone to turn out like Mario Williams... His career is over.

Ok, you're right. Mario was a terrible example. but i could go down the line of bust DEs taken in the top ten.

I am sure someone will say that this thread has already been started, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it seems like we have been bringing in DL for the past two years. '05 was Griffin, and last year was Carter, Golston, and Montgomery. If we draft DL at #6 we are going to start looking like the vikings. Lets give the guys we've got the chance to step up. I know some of you will say that last year was their chance, but Golston and Mont. were rooks, Griffin was hurt, and it was Carter's first year as a skin (that, and he did turn it on at the end of the season).

Why draft Branch or Adams just for them to turn out like Dan Wilkinson or Mario Williams.

Either move up to get CJ (god's gift to QB's), or move back and get Landry (the Ham to Sean Taylor's burger)

sorry for the misspellings and if that last analogy was kinda gay.

Last year we brought in Randel El, Llyod and Fauria. The year before it was Moss and Patten. The year before, Cooley and Thrash. It seems we've addressed our receiving corps the last 3 years.

Last year we brought in Archuleta, Doughty, Vincent and Fox. The year before it was Prioleau. In 04, it was Taylor and Clark. It seems we've addressed the S position the last 3 years.

I don't get the logic here.

Again, pipe dream of getting CJ. it won't happen and CJ isn't worth the picks that it would take to get him. Want to know what the Saints should have done with Reggie Bush, traded him for like 6 picks. That's how you build a championship team.

The FO knows we need DL, but they don't want to draft one at #6 because they don't think it is worth the money they wiill have to pay, so they want to trade down, but that is difficult because every other team is thinking the same thing, that its not worth the money. So we need someone who is worth the money (Quinn) to fall to us so that we can trade down, still get a DL player and another pick. That is the ideal situation, just not sure if it will happen...

I personally would never pick someone in hopes of trading them for something else, I'm definately of the mindset you pick the best player available at your need position and to hell with everyone else. :logo:

the DL was not the worst part of the redskins D last year, yes they were mediocre but not awful

sorry if this has been covered in this thread... it was our LINEBACKING corps last year that was horrific

Our linebackers were bad, but you're confused here: they looked so bad because (A) our defensive line couldn't generate any pressure and (B) our defensive line couldn't stop the run. I'd say our linebackers are mediocre. They'll look better behind a good DL. Our DL will never look good.

You can add All Pros to the secondary and linebacking corps, but if you're still getting pushed around up front, you're still going to get burned.

Last year we brought in Randel El, Llyod and Fauria. The year before it was Moss and Patten. The year before, Cooley and Thrash. It seems we've addressed our receiving corps the last 3 years.

Last year we brought in Archuleta, Doughty, Vincent and Fox. The year before it was Prioleau. In 04, it was Taylor and Clark. It seems we've addressed the S position the last 3 years.

Glad I took the time to read through, I was about to say the same thing. By this logic I can't think of a spot the Redskins should draft.

there is no logic, its just people clamoring over a cant miss WR and a saftey because they think 2 sean taylors will be more effective than 1. we need Dline, not secondary, but dlineman dont make highlight reels stuffing the run, safties intercepting passes and making tackles (15 yards past the LOS) do.

We signed Hall and brought in Novak and Suisham over the last several years. It would appear we've address the position of kicker.

Hall was pre-Gibbs and Suisham and Novak were minimum salary waiver pick ups, so it has certainly been "addressed" a lot less than any other position (Punter applies here as well).

Maybe we cantrade with the Pats for their 2 1sts and take Mason Crosby and Daniel Sepulveda. That's certainly nothing anyone would see coming.

the Redskins have NOT worked on the DL in the draft, to any great degree since 1997.

and that is one of the reasons why this team has had to spend so much money in free agency, to shore up the line.

go back and look at the major free agent acquisitions through the years and so many have been DL.

Stubblefield. Bruce Smith. Griffin. the trades for disgruntled Sean Gilbert and Dan Wilkinson.

that's MILLIONS of dollars spent and yet NOT ONE of these players made the pro bowl in a Redskins uniform.

if the Redskins had decided to go DL instead of always reaching for the glamor positions this team would have been so much better off.

the Redskins have NOT worked on the DL in the draft, to any great degree since 1997.

and that is one of the reasons why this team has had to spend so much money in free agency, to shore up the line.

go back and look at the major free agent acquisitions through the years and so many have been DL.

Stubblefield. Bruce Smith. Griffin. the trades for disgruntled Sean Gilbert and Dan Wilkinson.

that's MILLIONS of dollars spent and yet NOT ONE of these players made the pro bowl in a Redskins uniform.

if the Redskins had decided to go DL instead of always reaching for the glamor positions this team would have been so much better off.

I don't think we would be better off if we took Udeze instead of Sean Taylor. 1st round should always be BPA. I think the problem is we havn't ignored D lineman in the draft more so we have ignored the draft all together.

I am sure someone will say that this thread has already been started, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it seems like we have been bringing in DL for the past two years. '05 was Griffin, and last year was Carter, Golston, and Montgomery. If we draft DL at #6 we are going to start looking like the vikings. Lets give the guys we've got the chance to step up. I know some of you will say that last year was their chance, but Golston and Mont. were rooks, Griffin was hurt, and it was Carter's first year as a skin (that, and he did turn it on at the end of the season).

Why draft Branch or Adams just for them to turn out like Dan Wilkinson or Mario Williams.

Either move up to get CJ (god's gift to QB's), or move back and get Landry (the Ham to Sean Taylor's burger)

sorry for the misspellings and if that last analogy was kinda gay.

Quantity = Quality???????????????

Good post Mr. Z.

I don't see where all this fuss about DT comes from. Griffin is only in the middle of his career and Golston is good enough to start and will probably get better, not mention we have excellent rotation between Montgomery and Big Joe.

At DE we have Andre Carter who is very good. Philip Daniels is capable but we could use an upgrade on the other side. I like us drafting Gaines Adams if we go DL. But like you I'd like to see us trade up for CJ or down for Laron Landry.

Good post Mr. Z.

I don't see where all this fuss about DT comes from. Griffin is only in the middle of his career and Golston is good enough to start and will probably get better, not mention we have excellent rotation between Montgomery and Big Joe.

At DE we have Andre Carter who is very good. Philip Daniels is capable but we could use an upgrade on the other side. I like us drafting Gaines Adams if we go DL. But like you I'd like to see us trade up for CJ or down for Laron Landry.

It's just experience suggests once a player gets bit by the injury bug they tend to get worse not better. I mean Griffin may only be theoretically in the middle of his career but I believe his injuries are back and hips. The amount of weight a successful DT needs to carry is going to make it very hard for those sort of injuries to ever completely heal.

And lets not forget how quickly Brandon Noble's career ended.

"Why draft Branch or Adams just for them to turn out like Dan Wilkinson or Mario Williams"

I thought you said Dan Marino for a bit.

Dont be so quick to say Mario is a bust. The coaches didnt do him justice by switching him around and they had 20 more problems on defense than just Williams.

The probably we got is, we have unproven guys and proven guys that are always hurt or getting older. We have a lot of guys on the DL but none are very consistent which is the biggest thing we need. We dont need a freeney type as much as we need someone who will do something, big or small, on every play.

If Griffin can stay healthy then he could fill that role. IF

It's just experience suggests once a player gets bit by the injury bug they tend to get worse not better. I mean Griffin may only be theoretically in the middle of his career but I believe his injuries are back and hips. The amount of weight a successful DT needs to carry is going to make it very hard for those sort of injuries to ever completely heal.

And lets not forget how quickly Brandon Noble's career ended.

Yes, but Griffin has never missed more than 3 games in a season. I don't think that missing 2 games last year means that he's done for his career. Not to mention the other 3 talented guys we have in rotation at DT.

I feel like we could use a good DE to replace an aging Daniels more than we can use a DT. I feel like Adams would be the perfect fit there, but at the same time I think strong safety is a bigger need than DE, and Landry is being touted as the best defensive player in the entire draft.

Then if for some odd reason CJ is still there at 6 (won't happen) I say we take him.

Archived