Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus out at MSNBC (mod edit--reply to CBS firing in Merged thread)

skinsfan07

Good for NBC, now all we have to do is get Jim Rome to make some sort of

off the wall racist comment, and the 2 biggest aholes on TV and radio will be gone :)

Uhmm, he simulcast got cut off from MSNBC tv but he still keeps his radio show, so there is no shakedown going on against any WHITE person. I am still shocked that some on here try to justify what this guy said about these girls saying " but rap artists use the same word so it must be ok". NOT, it's not ok and it is despicable to call those innocent girls nappy headed hos. He ****ed up and I hope his sorry ass gets fired.

Uhmm, he simulcast got cut off from MSNBC tv but he still keeps his radio show, so there is no shakedown going on against any WHITE person. I am still shocked that some on here try to justify what this guy said about these girls saying " but rap artists use the same word so it must be ok". NOT, it's not ok and it is despicable to call those innocent girls nappy headed hos. He ****ed up and I hope his sorry ass gets fired.
That's a straw man. Nobody thinks its ok, they are just wondering why people think its ok for rappers to do it.

:soapbox: It seems to receive a lukewarm reception around here, but for what its worth-- I'M PISSED! :redpunch: I think this a blatant case of over-reaction and a double standard of racism. I think his comments were stupid and a poor attempt at humor but for MSNBC to cave in- I think they should be fired. F THEM!! :finger: :censored:

That's a straw man. Nobody thinks its ok, they are just wondering why people think its ok for rappers to do it.

I sure as hell don't . Don't buy rap cd's or any of that crap. I am more of an R&B guy, and I feel sorry for those who think it is ok for rappers (and not all of them by the way) to call women hos. It's still a lame excuse by some on this board (whom I presume are mostly white) trying to justify this "Imus" huy actions. He did those girls wrong and his racist remark those make him a racist. Yes people he is white and a racist. Get it through people racism still exists in America, what mommy and daddy told you about racism being gone since the 70's is a lie.

:soapbox: It seems to receive a lukewarm reception around here, but for what its worth-- I'M PISSED! :redpunch: I think this a blatant case of over-reaction and a double standard of racism. I think his comments were stupid and a poor attempt at humor but for MSNBC to cave in- I think they should be fired. F THEM!! :finger: :censored:

Are you slow or something? double standard of racism? WTF :doh: , please explain this so called "double standard" since he didn't even get fired but suspended. I wish they would fire his sorry ass to send a message that racism will not be tolerated in our country.

The thing that strikes me is that the same companies that hire an Imus or a Howard Stern because they're 'edgy', 'controversial', and 'shock-jock' types, are also the first to cave to pressure to dump them when they go too far. I think we all make mistakes and deserve the benefit of a second chance. They are letting him go, not because its the right thing to do, but because they are afraid of the pressure and negative press. Period.

Thats as disgusting as anything Imus said or will ever say in my book.

Why is it the network's responsibility to endure the pressure and the negative press? Imus and Stern and Limbaugh and other smiliar radio personalities got rich by being edgy and pushing the envelope, so so why shouldn't they bear the risk? NBC didn't tell Imus to say what he said, and they don't pre-approve the scripts for his show - they gave him the freedom to say whatever he wanted to say, so I think it makes sense for Imus to bear the risk.

NBC already gave Imus the contract and the platform - they don't owe him anything more ... it's the same thing with someone like Pacman Jones: the NFL gave him big money because of his talent; does he deserve a second chance?

This isn't you or me messing up at work, these are highly paid entertainers whose value is closely tied to their personality and their marketability. I don't feel a lot of sympathy for millionaires who cross the line and are punished for it.

I sure as hell don't . Don't buy rap cd's or any of that crap. I am more of an R&B guy, and I feel sorry for those who think it is ok for rappers (and not all of them by the way) to call women hos. It's still a lame excuse by some on this board (whom I presume are mostly white) trying to justify this "Imus" huy actions. He did those girls wrong and his racist remark those make him a racist. Yes people he is white and a racist. Get it through people racism still exists in America, what mommy and daddy told you about racism being gone since the 70's is a lie.

Would you agree that the problem exists on both sides of the fence, or are you one who subscribes to the 'only whites can be racist' idea?

~Bang

Ok please enought with this rapper crap it has absolutely NOTHING at all do do with Imus, listen to yourself when you say that.

Imus was not a shock jock, he is a political radio show host that thought he was funny the only problem is everyone was laughing at him because he looked like a fool with his comments the past years. OM I can understand why you are upset with Sharpton or Jessie but nothing they did escalated this at all.

Imus was the one who kept this in the news because of his wanting to apologize to anyone with a microphone, why you ask because he knew he screwed up. There have been many groups for a long time waiting for him to slip up so they could get rid of him. He has pissed off many people in the past and they had it. Howard stern even told him to tell other to shut the **** up, he understands how this work, and he is a shock jock.

When you are a person with a certain amount of power you can say whatever the hell you want, the difference is you have to suffer the consequences of what you said. A poster had mentioned that free speach is gone, if you look at this incident you would say free speach is alive and well, the reason why is everyone was able to speak out on this situation. No one was told to shut up or not speak, everyone was able to say what they wanted, and that is what it means to have the right to say what you want, you just have to remember the crowd you are talking to and the people you answer too.

Ask yourself one question, and this is to EVERYONE on this board if you said the exact some thing Imus did at your job to a group of women or others what do you think the outcome would be? Don't you think some might be offended and mention something, and maybe the boss will not be to happy and actually you might get fired.

That is EXACTLY what happened here.

For those that are trying to say well it isn't fair because rappers and comedians say certain things and can get away with it, well guess who is paying them and why. It is that simple, it really is.

Would you agree that the problem exists on both sides of the fence, or are you one who subscribes to the 'only whites can be racist' idea?

~Bang

Racists are every where friend. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic.....It's just more prevelant in the white society towards the black more than any other race towards the other. So there you go "only white can be racists" is not true, but "most whites are racists consciously or subconsciously" is true.

But ,ehh what do I know, I only got 300 years of history backing me up on this. There are genuinely a small minority of white people who actually aren't racists.

Man should have been fired a long time ago, but that's because he's boring.

What he said was stupid and racist, although a snickering racism rather than a mean-spirited one. In any event he should not be fired for it. What should happen is that sponsors, guests and listeners decide not to associate with him, and he gets fired because of that.

Racists are every where friend. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic.....It's just more prevelant in the white society towards the black more than any other race towards the other. So there you go "only white can be racists" is not true, but "most whites are racists consciously or subconsciously" is true.

But ,ehh what do I know, I only got 300 years of history backing me up on this. There are genuinely a small minority of white people who actually aren't racists.

Nice to know,, you're coming off a bit heavy in the other direction. I was genuinely curious.

In defense of we white folks, I think you'd be surprised at how a lot of us accept and try to get along with others. As you know, we can't prejudge folks,, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and view them as individuals as opposed to representatives of race. We have no choice in what race we are, but we do have choice in what kind of people we are.

:cheers:

~Bang

i don't know you. i think you're a racist.

Anybody who goes on about people thinking that the lyrics of mainstream "hip-hop" is acceptable to most folks is delusional.

The state of America is just confused.

What he said was stupid and racist, although a snickering racism rather than a mean-spirited one. In any event he should not be fired for it. What should happen is that sponsors, guests and listeners decide not to associate with him, and he gets fired because of that.

I agree with this somewhat...... RACISM is RACISM, plain and simple, now he used it in a snickering comment and not mean-spirited comment, hwich is not bad in itself but to make demeaning remarks to an individual based on their race should get his behind fired!!!

Nice to know,, you're coming off a bit heavy in the other direction. I was genuinely curious.

In defense of we white folks, I think you'd be surprised at how a lot of us accept and try to get along with others. As you know, we can't prejudge folks,, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and view them as individuals as opposed to representatives of race. We have no choice in what race we are, but we do have choice in what kind of people we are.

:cheers:

~Bang

I agree with you an understand what you are saying. But some people on here try to play this off as a double standard and blacks playing the victim here. Uhmm, yeah if you were part of a race that had being oppressed for the last 300 years or so, how the heck would you feel (not talking about you bang in particular)

If you believe that, then you're using a pretty watered-down definition of racism, and you must also believe that a very small minority of all people aren't racists...

You do realize that's exactly what happenned, right?

But the pressure on NBC clearly was building after seven major advertisers said that they would no longer place ads on "Imus in the Morning." Today, American Express Co., Sprint Nextel and General Motors Corp. said they would drop their ads. Yesterday, Staples Inc., Bigelow Tea and Procter & Gamble announced similar moves.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/11/AR2007041101767.html?hpid=topnews

Why is it the network's responsibility to endure the pressure and the negative press? Imus and Stern and Limbaugh and other smiliar radio personalities got rich by being edgy and pushing the envelope, so so why shouldn't they bear the risk? NBC didn't tell Imus to say what he said, and they don't pre-approve the scripts for his show - they gave him the freedom to say whatever he wanted to say, so I think it makes sense for Imus to bear the risk.

NBC already gave Imus the contract and the platform - they don't owe him anything more ... it's the same thing with someone like Pacman Jones: the NFL gave him big money because of his talent; does he deserve a second chance?

This isn't you or me messing up at work, these are highly paid entertainers whose value is closely tied to their personality and their marketability. I don't feel a lot of sympathy for millionaires who cross the line and are punished for it.

Thats a lot of issues wrapped in a single post. I agree that we're all accountable for what we say and do at our jobs - although you seem to be saying he should be more accountable because he earns a high salary. Not sure that makes sense? I'm not arguing MSNBC 'owes' him anything - they have the right to fire him for whatever reason they like as far as I'm concerned. I'm pointing out a valid issue - that he's being fired for the same attributes that caused them to hire and keep him, he just went too far.

I'd have more respect for corporate America if they took action as soon as something happened 'because it was the right thing to do' rather than sticking their thermometers out the window, measuring the public 'heat' and their potential viewer/listenership losses, and then doing it.

Why the hate towards 'millionaires' btw? Its misplaced in my opinion - fair is fair and right is right regardless of how much money one makes. It shouldn't enter into the equation.

Anybody who goes on about people thinking that the lyrics of mainstream "hip-hop" is acceptable to most folks is delusional.

The state of America is just confused.

Pretty much ignorant people do. They think hey I hear it from rap artists and because they are black means ALL blacks are ok with it. Someone posted links to all efforts being made by ministers of churches, russell simmons and such trying to bring about an end to this crap.

I agree with you an understand what you are saying. But some pepel on here try to play this off as a double standard and blacks playing the victim here. Uhmm, yeah if you were part of a race that had being oppressed for the last 300 years or so, how the heck would you feel (not talking about you bang in particular)

Why don't you stop throwing generalizations around - if you have someone you are specifically taking issue with, quote them - otherwise, you're just putting thoughts and words in other member's mouths.

~Bang

LOL. Whites are always the ones putting the foot in their mouth in situations where they do not have to.

If a black guy at a TV station said all whites are phony crackers he would be fired. ( provided the station is meant for all audience) If he said it on BET it would be different.

I do not understand what you guys do not understand. Blacks are the minority still. And whites still have the majority of the power jobs. So making 10 million a year is a power job. And all people listen to him. So he can not say something so stupid.

LOL. Whites are always the ones putting the foot in their mouth in situations where they do not have to.

If a black guy at a TV station said all whites are phony crackers he would be fired. ( provided the station is meant for all audience) If he said it on BET it would be different.

I do not understand what you guys do not understand. Blacks are the minority still. And whites still have the majority of the power jobs. So making 10 million a year is a power job. And all people listen to him. So he can not say something so stupid.

You got this out of my question to Killerbo?

Talk about reaching.

For the record, the topic of 'only whites can be racist' has been discussed here ad-nauseum. I think it's bull, and so I asked.

Nice rant tho.

~Bang

Why don't you stop throwing generalizations around - if you have someone you are specifically taking issue with, quote them - otherwise, you're just putting thoughts and words in other member's mouths.

Rtbasye and Cyskin, just to mention a few.You happy now Tarhog!

Pretty much ignorant people do. They think hey I hear it from rap artists and because they are black means ALL blacks are ok with it. Someone posted links to all efforts being made by ministers of churches, russell simmons and such trying to bring about an end to this crap.

It shows who the real racist are. A lot of people in the media. They keep saying the black culture is rap.

The black culture is not rap. I know many black people who hate rap.

And rap is just entertainment. So are itilians all in the mafia because of the sopranos and good fellas?

Are white people all drug attack head bangers because of rock n roll.

Is hip hop the only music all blacks listen too? LOL. I see just as many whites with hip hop on their IPOD.

It is just music.

So many racist out there.

Archived