Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus on the Hot Seat for Rutgers Comments

Dan T.

This is a sad day in American history. Freedom of speech is dead. Even apologies won't work. And don't say we have free speech, because what we have now is not freedom.

we have free speach but that does not give you the right to say what you want and not suffer the consequences etc...

Unless you of course are in a work place, yes in every day language when you are with your friends or something it may not be a bid deal, when you are on the job and their are others around that can be offended, then yes it is a big deal.

There comes a point when people need to start using common sense about saying certain things around specific groups etc...

It's not common anymore, its' being bred out in our country. Then you have the apologists making excuses for this old idiot.

This is a sad day in American history. Freedom of speech is dead. Even apologies won't work. And don't say we have free speech, because what we have now is not freedom.

Oh yeah, would you love to own some slaves white boy? Will that be more freedom for you ? huh?

Do those girls deserved to be called "nappy headed hos" based on their race? NO

Was Imus making a RACIST comment ? YES

Should his sorry ass be fired? YES (but won't happen bcos it is not deemed as important to white America, that controls most of the major networks, who were probably in their early teens in the 60's when racism was at an all-time high)

An apology would be enough, but the damage is done. If that was YOUR daughter how would you feel, if I called her team a team of "blue eyed, blonde sluts" . How the heck would you feel ? Yes you can make whatever comments you want but be ready for the cosequences and I still believe there are some racist ****s on this board who hate black people nad don't see anywrong doing here.

freedom of speech does not guarantee that you won't suffer any consequences from saying stupid things. freedom of speech does not prohibit your employer from firing you for being an idiot.

if imus went to jail, you'd have a point.

Oh yeah, would you love to own some slaves white boy? Will that be more freedom for you ? huh?

Do those girls deserved to be called "nappy headed hos" based on their race? NO

Was Imus making a RACIST comment ? YES

An apology would be enough, but the damage is done. If that was YOUR daughter how would you feel, if I called her team a team of "blue eyed, blonde sluts" . How the heck would you feel ? Yes you can make whatever comments you want but be ready for the cosequences and I still believe there are some racist ****s on this board who hate black people nad don't see anywrong doing here.

insults in response to comments you don't agree with is not how a 25 year old should handle things. :2cents:

Do you realize that is a racial slur? Pretty offensive term, that.

Your boss should be notified and you should be fired, eh?

~Bang

:doh: Bang, stop sounding like an idiot, white boy is not a racial slur, ...******, ho, and crackers is just one of a few.

Call me black boy and i am cool with it. No racial slur there, but say come here, BOY, then we got some issues.

:doh: Bang, stop sounding like an idiot, white boy is not a racial slur, ...******, ho, and crackers is just one of a few.

Call me black boy and i am cool with it. No racial slur there, but say come here, BOY, then we got some issues.

See, here is where we diverge.

It is a slur, and those who are slurred should be the ones to say they are insulted by the term, no?

Personally, I don't care, but it is what it is. Like it or not, it's an insulting term.

Isn't that what the base of this whole debate is over?

~Bang

for real.

"Come here boy" That's it for me. If someone I don't know tests me and insults me with that line, it's over.

In middle school a white kid called my brother a "n-word".........Woo hoo. He got his ASS whooped.

A white kid told my cousin a racist joke, got his ass whooped. The joke was, "How come there were no blacks in the flintstones?" "b/c they were all monkeys." I'd be damned if someone said that to me.

for real.

"Come here boy" That's it for me. If someone I don't know tests me and insults me with that line, it's over.

In middle school a white kid called my brother a "n-word".........Woo hoo. He got his ASS whooped.

A white kid told my cousin a racist joke, got his ass whooped. The joke was, "How come there were no blacks in the flintstones?" "b/c they were all monkeys." I'd be damned if someone said that to me.

now, if a black kid called your brother a ******, what would the result be?

same result. Especially if it was some random dude calling me over or him over or something like that.

good.

one thing i can't stand, and i encounter it a LOT as a middle school teacher and h.s. football coach, is that word being used as a term of endearment.

you use that word at practice, and you run for a LONG time. i don't care if you use it joking around w/ your boys. because you're not going to use that word one minute and want to throw down because someone else used it the next.

Just talking in circles here...

I'd like to think this whole incident would have helped society on a whole look at itself and expose some huge problems, but probably not.

Everyone calls Imus a racist and that's it. Shows over, folks, nothing more to see here.

Way to take the easy way out, society.

See, here is where we diverge.

It is a slur, and those who are slurred should be the ones to say they are insulted by the term, no?

Personally, I don't care, but it is what it is. Like it or not, it's an insulting term.

Isn't that what the base of this whole debate is over?

~Bang

Reaching, you are offended, bcos in your history your people have being told to come here "boy" or called a ****** or called a nappy headed ho. yeah, sure there is a lot of history behind it. Also white boy carries no freaking negative connotations whatsoever please explain the slur in being called a white boy, would you prefer white man?. You are just reaching and trying to justify this Imus crap and it aint happeneing and the majority of the public agree with moi.

OK, so why not explain to me the perspective of why it is becoming OK to refer to women in such a way? Is Imus on the hot seat for calling these women whores, or is he more on the hot seat because they are black and he called them nappy headed? Why did Al Sharpton get involved at all? Over the gender insult, or the racial insult? You know as well as I do why that grand-standing fool opens his mouth, and you know as well as i do what he exploits.

A whore is a whore, literally or not. Calling a woman a "ho" or a whore is not a nice thing, regardless of context. If it is to be deemed offensive, than it must be offensive PERIOD. Not just in some context, or when used by a person not thought to be of the proper color to allow it. By saying your this is an issue between black men and women, i simply get mystified. Are you saying that black men have no respect for women, and that it pre-dates rap music? I'm confused. That sounds like a pretty lousy excuse for this behavior and a really broad generalization.

Again, I don't care about what has happened historically throughout pop culture. It has no bearing on this conversation. I'm talking about this particular aspect of this particular culture that has created the atmosphere for these particular terms. As demonstrated by Don Imus, these very offensive terms are indeed becoming part of mainstream slang and thought.

~Bang

I'd easily affirm that Imus' comments were bad moreso on a racial level. I don't think you're being honest with yourself on an intellectual level if you don't see how using that phrase as a descriptor attaches the state of being a hoe to having 'nappy hair'. I think the evidence that far more black males than white women were insulted kind of shows his target audience with that statement.

About the issue within the black community, yea it's an issue, that predates rap music. I'm sure you can fathom the idea of where a disregard for the family may have originated. At what point in time was the cycle supposed to magically be fixed?

There wasn't an atmosphere created for Imus' comments...unless you'd like to argue that the comments were appropriate. Him displaying bigotry once again & finally getting his card pulled. Sure history matters...look at any genre of music dominated by blacks and the mainstream media's attitude towards it...are you really saying anything new? Did you know that Ernest Hogan published some of the earliest ragtime music in 1895 with the word 'coon' on it?

Just talking in circles here...

I'd like to think this whole incident would have helped society on a whole look at itself and expose some huge problems, but probably not.

Everyone calls Imus a racist and that's it. Shows over, folks, nothing more to see here.

Way to take the easy way out, society.

Like, I said till the day races mix and you can't differentiate btw races and there is only one race, **** ain't changing. The will always be part of one race(whites) who believe they are dominant and superior to other races(black, asian insert any other freaking race in here)

Like, I said till the day races mix and you can't differentiate btw races and there is only one race, **** ain't changing. The will always be part of one race(whites) who believe they are dominant and superior to other races(black, asian insert any other freaking race in here)

and there will always be people who turn a blind eye to all racism save white on black, so he can continue to think he's being held down by the man. :doh:

and there will always be people who turn a blind eye to all racism save white on black, so he can continue to think he's being held down by the man. :doh:

Black on white racism exists as well (still not as prevelant as white on black racism). Happy now buddy, and the man ain't holding me down, I sell my drugs to the MAN son (just kidding) . Spin all you want Major Harris.

I'd easily affirm that Imus' comments were bad moreso on a racial level. I don't think you're being honest with yourself on an intellectual level if you don't see how using that phrase as a descriptor attaches the state of being a hoe to having 'nappy hair'. I think the evidence that far more black males than white women were insulted kind of shows his target audience with that statement.

About the issue within the black community, yea it's an issue, that predates rap music. I'm sure you can fathom the idea of where a disregard for the family may have originated. At what point in time was the cycle supposed to magically be fixed?

There wasn't an atmosphere created for Imus' comments...unless you'd like to argue that the comments were appropriate. Him displaying bigotry once again & finally getting his card pulled.

Nice post. I definitely see how attaching "nappy headed ' insulted black people, and rightly so. Never meant to convey any sort of defense for Imus or his comments. I tend to stay out of the racial debates because they really just go in circles, so when the conversation turned to the sexist side of it, I tossed in my two cents.

The atmosphere created doesn't make it OK for Imus or anyone else to be insulting, I was simply looking for reasons why the climate seems to be that those words are part of mainstream slang, and unfortunately, attitude.

I don't claim to know all the answers. these are some very complex questions. All I can really do is try to understand, and live my life the way I feel is best.

~Bang

Nice post. I definitely see how attaching "nappy headed ' insulted black people, and rightly so. Never meant to convey any sort of defense for Imus or his comments. I tend to stay out of the racial debates because they really just go in circles, so when the conversation turned to the sexist side of it, I tossed in my two cents.

The atmosphere created doesn't make it OK for Imus or anyone else to be insulting, I was simply looking for reasons why the climate seems to be that those words are part of mainstream slang, and unfortunately, attitude.

I don't claim to know all the answers. these are some very complex questions. All I can really do is try to understand, and live my life the way I feel is best.

~Bang

Ok then, that's all good.

Black on white racism exists as well (still not as prevelant as white on black racism). Happy now buddy, and the man ain't holding me down, I sell my drugs to the MAN son (just kidding) . Spin all you want Bang and Major Harris.

I'm not spinning anything. I had thoughts as to the sexist angle, and I don't believe informing anyone that "white boy" is indeed a slur is spinning either.

As I've said. It is what it is. The response I got to that leads me to believe that it is OK for the person speaking to decide what is offensive. And if that's the case, well, hell, anything goes.

(Obviously that isn't the case.)

~Bang

I'm not spinning anything. I had thoughts as to the sexist angle, and I don't believe informing anyone that "white boy" is indeed a slur is spinning either.

As I've said. It is what it is. The response I got to that leads me to believe that it is OK for the person speaking to decide what is offensive. And if that's the case, well, hell, anything goes.

(Obviously that isn't the case.)

~Bang

Meant the other stuff and not that last post of mine will edit.

Black on white racism exists as well (still not as prevelant as white on black racism). Happy now buddy, and the man ain't holding me down, I sell my drugs to the MAN son (just kidding) .

we talking percentages or shear numbers. ;)

Spin all you want Bang and Major Harris.

please tell me what i'm spinning.

Archived