Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus on the Hot Seat for Rutgers Comments

Dan T.

It doesn't matter if they are glorified what matters is the intent and context, do you see other professionals using that word in every day language, don't think so. Just because it is in music means absolutely nothing, remember those cd's that have it have warning labels letting people know there is bad language.

The fact remains that the message is clear enough that an ancient hack like Imus felt OK using it.

It's much more open than just in a few CDs. These terms and attitudes are becoming ingrained in our society. Considering the main source for the popularity, perhaps some inward searching is to be in order instead of always pointing the fingers outward.

~Bang

Of course Imus was wrong, but how wrong?

Very, very, very wrong, and he is most likely going to lose his job because of it. Someone made a great point about Imus the other day. I think either Around the Horn or PTI. Imus is basically the Bob Knight on the radio, for years he has offended many different people and has been able to survive because of his sponsors and his radio networks thought nothing of it and looked the other way. They were only worried about his ratings and the $$ he brought them.

Like Bobby he has done a lot of good outside his career, however like Bobby people are just fed up with him and his antics, and thus because of that and he knows it his job is in jeopardy. Yes you have the right to say whatever you want but you also have to face the consequences from those words, and now he is.

People are saying it is all Jessie's or Sharptons fault, which is laughable since it was Imus who decided to go on their radio show and apoligize 10 different times. They just wanted to get their face out, but many people have been waiting for Imus to slip, and now he has.

I am done with this subject.

Very, very, very wrong, and he is most likely going to lose his job because of it. Someone made a great point about Imus the other day. I think either Around the Horn or PTI. Imus is basically the Bob Knight on the radio, for years he has offended many different people and has been able to survive because of his sponsors and his radio networks thought nothing of it and looked the other way. They were only worried about his ratings and the $$ he brought them.

Like Bobby he has done a lot of good outside his career, however like Bobby people are just fed up with him and his antics, and thus because of that and he knows it his job is in jeopardy. Yes you have the right to say whatever you want but you also have to face the consequences from those words, and now he is.

People are saying it is all Jessie's or Sharptons fault, which is laughable since it was Imus who decided to go on their radio show and apoligize 10 different times. They just wanted to get their face out, but many people have been waiting for Imus to slip, and now he has.

Except that Bob Knight is relevant.

Honestly, Imus is a dried up old piece of **** who's audience consists of the Geritol crowd. His show is horrible, and not just in context of being "shock jock".

He isn't a shock jock. Maybe back in 1975 he was, but now he's as shocking as a glass of milk. (Not for lack of trying,, he's just lousy.)

All this really has done is get Al Sharpton a few more exploitive headlines, and get Don Imus name back in the public mind.

Both of which are things we could all do without, in my opinion.

~Bang

The fact remains that the message is clear enough that an ancient hack like Imus felt OK using it.

It's much more open than just in a few CDs. These terms and attitudes are becoming ingrained in our society. Considering the main source for the popularity, perhaps some inward searching is to be in order instead of always pointing the fingers outward.

~Bang

Bang no it is not, his show is a political one he is not howard stern. It doesn't matter the word is in society would you go say it at work, hell no you would be fired on the spot.

You also have to take in consideration of who the comments were against. Who else in radio calls college girls ho's on a national level as Imus?? Not anyone I can think of. I have heard of older women or those that deserved it maybe, but not like this.

They say **** and **** in music as well are people saying that at their jobs, no.

He isn't a shock jock.

Bingo then why is he acting as one he knows better. The problem is Imus still gets a lot of ratings which is why he is on MSNBC and now they may be forced to get rid of him because they can take the chance of people turning off his show and leaving, that is what this about.

If Imus was on some little radio show no one listened to none of this would have started, the problem is when you are on a National show you are able to get away with certain things.

What he shoud do after this is go to XM :D

Maybe this is all staged, he is paying Sharpton and Jessie so he can now get a big deal with XM :laugh: :laugh:

~Bang

I agree with everything you've been saying in your last few posts, Bang. And I think this is why we need to make a big deal about Imus saying what he did. I think it's important for the mainstream media to not act like 14 year-olds who don't know better. Hopefully this mess will open some eyes and get people talking about just how prevalent degrading attitudes towards young women have become in our society, and what a problem it's become. It'd be really great if something good could ultimately come out of this fiasco.

I'd also argue that the 'punch' profanities pack change over time as well.

-4 letter "c" word referring to female genitalia used to not be considered vulgar at all.

When was that the case?

First known reference in Eng. is said to be c.1230 Oxford or London street name Grope****lane, presumably a haunt of prostitutes. Avoided in public speech since 15c.; considered obscene since 17c.

Bang no it is not, his show is a political one he is not howard stern. It doesn't matter the word is in society would you go say it at work, hell no you would be fired on the spot.

You also have to take in consideration of who the comments were against. Who else in radio calls college girls ho's on a national level as Imus?? Not anyone I can think of. I have heard of older women or those that deserved it maybe, but not like this.

They say **** and **** in music as well are people saying that at their jobs, no.

I don't think you got my point about his show.

I don't care what GENRE it supposedly falls under.

The fact is IT SUCKS.

And it's not a matter of who he called what. My beef is that those terms are becoming acceptable by a lot of people. I'm not defending Imus, I'm not even commenting on HIS comment. I couldn't care less, frankly, much more offensive things are said about a lot of people every day.

i see this as an opportunity for Al Sharpton to once again exploit emotions and fluff his bluster up, and an opportunity for Imus to blow some dust off of his mummified 'show'

Neither of which does anyone any good, except those two.

~Bang

It'd be really great if something good could ultimately come out of this fiasco.

I agree with that. I was talking to someone recently and it seems little girls in HS they either dress very sluty now or like boys or gothish, it is interesting what has happened. That girls feel they need to wear tight clothes are seductive t-shirts etc...

Now I am not going to defend Imus, I think he should have known better, and I don't really watch him anyway so I can't tell if he is a racist or if he was just playing around, BUT... that language is in common usage everywhere by hip hop rap culture or whatever of Black America, which tells me that it shouldn't be so offensive.

Guest sith lord
You don't know anything about hip-hop, where it came from or what it represents....you're probably an Imus apologist but what's new (i haven't read many of the previous posts)

Dude, I'm a 32 year old black man who knows the history of hip-hop/rap inside and out. And this crap that they call art today is just brainwashing today's youth. The things some of these guys say today in their rap is downright degrading compared to what they rapped about 25 years ago or even 15 years ago.

And before you ever call me an Imus apologist again, you better go back and read the entire thread.

I agree with that. I was talking to someone recently and it seems little girls in HS they either dress very sluty now or like boys or gothish, it is interesting what has happened. That girls feel they need to wear tight clothes are seductive t-shirts etc...

well, they always have,, just in varying degree... in days past a skirt above the knee was considered provocative, whereas now it's business attire. When i was in HS, jeans were so tight they literally looked like they were painted on.. camel toe all over the place.

That's just a sign of the times. I get bothered by seeing really young kids,, 12 yr old girls dressed like hookers, tho. But I blame parents for that.

~Bang

classic stuff from snoop dogg:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1556803/20070410/id_0.jhtml

"It's a completely different scenario," said Snoop, barking over the phone from a hotel room in L.A. "[Rappers] are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh--, that's trying to get a n---a for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC [the cable network home to Imus] going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them mutha----as say we in the same league as him."

i guess i shouldn't be surprised. :doh:

"It's a completely different scenario," said Snoop, barking over the phone from a hotel room in L.A. "[Rappers] are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about ho's that's in the 'hood that ain't doing sh--, that's trying to get a n---a for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-ass white men that sit up on MSNBC [the cable network home to Imus] going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them mutha----as say we in the same league as him."

So in other words, a double standard. It's OK for us to demean women, but not you.

Nice! And not to mention, coming from a guy who's entire act is to be a pimp. I love how he goes on further to compare Imus to Pacman Jones, saying if Pacman is suspended , so should be Imus... yeah, i can see the correlation between a guy saying stupid things and another guy out there slapping, kicking, hitting, etc etc etc. women all over the place.

~Bang

Guys, guess what, rappers can be extremely racist, yet they are given a free pass, and many of them are even seen as hiphop icons. Ever heard of ice cube anyone? Look what he says about White women. This is not just demeaning to Whites, but also to women. Mind you, I am not White, but this Imus nonsense is getting out of hand.

Here is a link to Ice Cube's song. It's called cave *****(referring to white women of course). Ice cube started out as a rapper, and now he is a successful actor as well.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Cave-*****-lyrics-Ice-Cube/4AD2D32A826DED48482568D9000E79C1

I think his point is that rap artists have been using these words for years. So much so that this type of language has become ingrained in the culture. The term "*****" has become so denuded it's almost used as a term of endearment in some circles. The term "ho" is thrown around so much that it's lost its sting. At least until Imus opened his mouth last Monday.

Edit: Re the expletive above. . . at least Extremeskins tries to maintain a sense of decency! The word deleted above is the term used to describe a female dog. . .

And it is wrong for the rap artists to use the terms also. What I am saying is 2 wrongs don't make what Imus said right. And if Imus has spent time with having Al Sharpton talk about the offensive lyrics in rap music and abitu how he wanted to have the N Word banned, maybe it would be more of a national story. It is said you go on Imus's show and you reach a wide audience.

BTW not all rap artist use offensive lyrics.

I vehemntly disagree. Hip-hop is one of the most influential musical genres of this generation. That doesn' t necessarily qualify hip-hop as a responsible party in some of the degredation that it inflicts on women and other cultures but there is a large majority in the hip-hop industry that are very positive and represent blacks and their community as well as anybody.

Bottom line, Imus has nothing to do w/ any of that. He's not funny; his jokes are hidious and seem to not want to take the time to learn more about people of color before using them as a punchline, at least from an on-air personality point-of-view.:rolleyes:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

The 1st Amendment disagrees with you. The guy was an idiot to say what he did, but a lot of the aftermath is hypocritical self rightousness IMO.

ESPECIALLY Al Sharpton

And frankly, Imus is probably loving it. If people didn't know who he was before, they do now.

I'll wait with baited breath for Al to go after the record labels that allow the garbage I posted above to see the light of day :rolleyes:

Al Sharpton has done more that IUmus has done regardign these record companies letting this go on the air. Why is it that they put millions of dollars behind a 50 cent or a Eminem, but not behind positive rapper like Talib Kweil or a Common???

BTW not one black person owns any of these record companies.

George Carlin's 1972 monologue "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television", and the subsequent Supreme Court case did far more to change the climate on television censorship than rap music ever did. In addition, South Park did have an episode where **** (4 letter word for excrement) was said 162 times in a single half hour episode. Chicago Hope & ER also played this same word unedited...how is that within the scope of rap music?

To answer your question, should my daughter allow a male to refer to her in that context, I'd be more concerned about my failures as a parent in relation to her self-esteem. Only other actual issue of course, would be the young man's perception of women (which easily would have far more to do with his experiences and upbringing than hearing bad words in music). This example is a gross mischaracterization, and often textbook argument rap music's endured for years.

Great Post :applause: :applause: :applause:

This idea, "all women are hoes", where is it coming from?

Now I am not going to defend Imus, I think he should have known better, and I don't really watch him anyway so I can't tell if he is a racist or if he was just playing around, BUT... that language is in common usage everywhere by hip hop rap culture or whatever of Black America, which tells me that it shouldn't be so offensive.

WTF are you talking about, so bcos you have a black person call another black person "my ******" makes it right for any person WHITE, black, asian or hispanic to say the same thing. WTF is wrong with you people, I wish you were black and had some idiot on a NATIONAL radio show call you daughter a "nappy headed ho" bcos she is black, then tell me how you would feel? Especially taking in the fact of the historical use of that word "******" used to demean black people and also the use of "ho" to demean black women. How would you feel if I was on a national syndicated show and called the team, say for instance YOUR daughter was on a "bunch of blonde headed sluts", if you were white, how would you feel? It was WRONG period !!! ..... those girls don't deseerve those comments and because some people black or white use it doesn't make it right. Come on people, stop the madness here and arguing semantics about because he is white he is being held to a higher standard or some other crap like that :doh: . God, people sometimes.....

Archived