Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter: possible skins/bears trade.

skins84

Well this defense is big on linebacker play. Briggs wont miss tackles like a retard like weve seen the past few years. Maybe it can work out. It would all depend on who we draft with the 31st pick. People who are crying about finances need to realize that the 6th pick is probably going to get a ridiculous contract as well.

This would rank amongst the dumbest moves of the Snyder Era. We DO NOT need another linebacker.
Unfortunately as idiotic as this sounds, there has been even worse.:(

The hold up is Danny probably wants them to throw in Arch.:doh:

Going to the 31st pick is too far out to get the DL talent we so desperately need.

From what I've read Snyder and Cerrato were interested in the deal, but had to find Gibbs to sign off on it. I hope to God that Gibbs does not. If this is actually how it happened, I'd be completely convinced that our FO is completely, completely out of order.

This is just Drew Rosenhaus trying to get his guy a monster contract from Snyder, whom he gets a long with very well. Hopefully Coach Joe nixes this.

I HOPE this is the case . . . it is definitely something Rosenhaus would do. So again, I am just hoping that Drew is doing this, and the Dan is going along with it.

Briggs is nasty, but do we really need him? I mean come on, we have Fletcher, Washington, and Marshall/Rocky. I really question where this would leave Rocky, the linebacker we spent two second rounders on, if this trade went through.

Maybe if the trade was the #6 for Briggs, #31, and next year's first rounder or something of that sort, but the way it is now makes me sick to my stomach.

Exactly. What will we do if we get a 5th viable LB in the system. There will be no room and it puts rocky in a crappy situation along with the other LBs who are fine when put in their proper positions.

If this was for an elite DT, that would be a different story.

Yeah the way it reads guys we do have a GM, and its Danny Snyder. And we do have one person hatching these schemes -- what I don't get is why doesn't he come out of the closet and announce himself the official GM of the team -- reporters have been all over the team for not having one maybe this will put it to rest.

............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................

.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................

..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................

...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.................................

.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................

..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................

...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................

................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................

.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................

..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................

................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................

................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................

................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............

..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,

...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........

................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........

...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......

......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

Holy crap...you need to get a job

From what I've read Snyder and Cerrato were interested in the deal, but had to find Gibbs to sign off on it. I hope to God that Gibbs does not. If this is actually how it happened, I'd be completely convinced that our FO is completely, completely out of order.

Would your feel the same if Marcus Washington's injury was just as bad as it seems to be now.

I don't know how I feel about this.

I love Briggs. He's young, athletic, and is a genuine gamer - not just a product of the system. Briggs, Fletcher, Washington looks SCARY - on paper. That's the part that worries me.

So, assuming we make this move, it means one (or more) of a couple things:

(1) We are not that impressed with any of the "top" DL/DT in the draft. Maybe we saw Adams, Anderson, Branch and are just like "they're ok."

(2a) We expect a Carriker, Okoyle, maybe even Branch to drop down to the end of the first round.

(2b) We will package that #31 and a late round pick or next year's pick to move to the middle of the draft to pick a Carriker, Okoyle, or Branch.

(3a) McIntosh doesn't look that great (to coaches, I know he hasn't played on the field much) and we don't trust him

(3b) We feel that McIntosh is not developed enoigh to play and he can play in more packages until he gets the hang of things (i.e., replaces Fletcher at MLB in a couple of years)

(3c) Washington's knee surgery is A HELLUVA lot more serious than we thought and he may not be healthy. He is the heart and soul of our D and if he was out for an extended time, our D would be terrible without him.

(4) Greg Williams said he was going to explore new defenses in the off-season. Maybe the plan is to run a 3-4, with McIntosh/Marhsall, Briggs, Fletcher, and Washington (this sounds amazing to me, but a little farfetched, imo)

I know one thing - if Briggs plays the way he did in Chicago for us, he's better than an unproven prospect at DE. That's a H-U-G-E if though.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Or, Gibbs could take his head out of his a-- and actually draft his own player rather than paying top dollar for someone else's. How are they going to make a play for Calvin Johnson now? I guess we could ask the Skins GM Drew Rosenhaus for his comment on the situation.

IDIOTS!

Exactly. What will we do if we get a 5th viable LB in the system. There will be no room and it puts rocky in a crappy situation along with the other LBs who are fine when put in their proper positions.

If this was for an elite DT, that would be a different story.

We don't know if we have 4 viable Lbers b/c of Washingtons injury.

Found this old article from July 2004. Thought it was very telling in hindsight.

"The Redskins revamped their linebacking corps yet again by adding two new big name starters. Sound familiar? In 2002, the Redskins signed Jessie Armstead and Jeremiah Trotter to replace Shawn Barber and Kevin Mitchell as starters. Armstead was signed as an UFA after spending the first 9 seasons of his career as a New York Giant. Trotter was in a dispute with Philadelphia's front office, was released, and signed a big contract with the Redskins.

To the here and now; Armstead and Trotter were released in February and June, respectively. Armstead signed with the NFC Champion Carolina Panthers and Trotter mended his rift with Philadelphia and signed a 1 year deal with the Eagles last week. After failing to sign Brandon Short, Greg Favors, and Warrick Holdman, the projected starters to replace the duo will be Marcus Washington and Mike Barrow, who signed large, multi-million dollar deals with the team this offseason. A total of 5 new linebackers will be in Ashburn for the fans to evaluate.

Many claim that the defensive line is the lone Achilles heel of the 2004 Washington Redskins mainly because of the lack of a pass rush from the defensive ends. But Assistant Head Coach - Defense Gregg Williams plans to employ a scheme which will allow the linebackers to blitz on many downs to provide the pass rush that the line cannot. Going into 2004, linebackers coach Dale Lindsey will have a lot of talent and depth to work with..."

http://www.thehogs.net/content/story.php?id=278

Archived