Trading Partner: NE

26fan4life

our #6 = 1600

NE # 24 = 740

NE # 28 = 660

their 3rd rounder = 132

their 4th rounder = 48

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp

Anyone down for dealing our #6 overall for both of NE's first round picks, their 3rd and their 4th? That way we could draft tank tyler and anthony spencer for a DT and DE and therefore address our two primary needs.

EDITED: the following was a hypothetical question for those that didn't realize - although suggesting that NE would trade 4 picks for one should be enough of an indication :mad:

Your suggested trade would be completely out of character for both teams.

The Redskins need to stay closer to the top of the first round with their pick. If they did pull this trade, their next move would probably be to package many of the picks and move back up.

they do one thing we don't, value draft picks. They find starters in the later rounds, we seldom do. They may be willing to part with their 2 firsts for our first, but that's about it.

And hence my other point, the Pats do find talent despite having later round picks each year. Their team still hasn't seemed ot miss a beat since 2001 when they won their first super bowl. I would prefer a middle range first round pick in a trade down, along with a 2nd and 3rd, which should be doable hopefully.

it seems like every other year they have multiple first round draft picks

Yep, last season it was Branch (a 2nd round WR) for a 1st.

They deal from a position of strength.

Here is what happens when you deal from a position of weakness:

best CB in the league and a 2nd for a RB

1st round QB in Ramsey for a 6th

1st round WR in Gardner for a 6th

our highest paid safety in history for a 6th

Its not rocket-science, faulty roster management plus desperation to get anything in return equals getting bent over in trades.

When was the last time we managed to trade a mid-round player for a first round pick? I honestly can't remember.

It would be a great trade for us and the numbers work out exactly right. The Pats do wheel and deal and they have had a very active offseason with free agency. To make a trade like that the Pats would have to feel that they already have most of their roster decided (therefore many of the picks wouldn't have a roster spot) and that they are just a player or two away from completing the puzzle. Under that scenario, if that player fell to us, it's possible they would do such a trade. The intriguing guys (in my limited understanding of the Pats) would probably be Peterson or Landy - one of which will be available at #6. To me not likely this would unfold, but not impossible either. Still I'd love that trade.

Don't know how AA will do, but where is Ramsey and Gardner now. Granted at the time they looked like bad trades, but its hard to get middle round choices for guys like them. Carr just got cut because he couldn't get traded. He was a first rounder. Trent Green, who was amazing two years ago, is being shopped for a 7th. Everyone is valuing picks more than trades these days, well except for us.

It's not that we trade away players for bad picks, but that we trade away good picks for bad players....

Don't know how AA will do, but where is Ramsey and Gardner now. Granted at the time they looked like bad trades, but its hard to get middle round choices for guys like them. Carr just got cut because he couldn't get traded. He was a first rounder. Trent Green, who was amazing two years ago, is being shopped for a 7th. Everyone is valuing picks more than trades these days, well except for us.

It's not that we trade away players for bad picks, but that we trade away good picks for bad players....

Ramsey is particularly galling because coach Gibbs reviewed the film on Ramsey and then immediately traded for Brunell. Ok fine. Afterwards there was at least one strong offer on the table from Miami for a QB that the coach clearly had little faith in. A another backup could have been found relatively easily. But we just sat on him.

Granted, I don't expect to constantly get the better of every deal we make for picks, but it feels more like the reverse.

they trade their players when they are productive. There is only a couple of players on the skins we can get 1st's for and most here would have a coronary if they did. The difference is NE doesn't care about what the fans think and the fans TRUST the NE patriots to make the right move. NE knows that the fans will still come irregardless of who they trade, they realize the fans know the team is more important then anyone player. So if one of their stars are going to want a huge payday and they can get a good trade the player is gone. Cough Cough Clinton Portis.

Now they also have Brady who mskes the whole team better, they do have a couple of untouchables but for them their draft picks are some of them.

I agree it seems out of character for a team like New England to trade up big but I wouldn't be totally surprised. Look at their off-season so far and it is almost Redskin-like. A couple of big name signings (Thomas and Stallworth), the signing of a RFA and giving up a draft pick.

Also, the one area they haven't really addressed in their secondary. they franchised Samuel and have doubts over Harrison's long term health so a move up for maybe Leon Hall or Landry could be a possibility.

I still think it's unlikely but not totally beyond possible, the Pats seem very aggressive this off-season and maybe the feel they have let talent slip away the past couple of years and are going to boost it up big time.

Yep, last season it was Branch (a 2nd round WR) for a 1st.

They deal from a position of strength.

Here is what happens when you deal from a position of weakness:

best CB in the league and a 2nd for a RB

Its not rocket-science, faulty roster management plus desperation to get anything in return equals getting bent over in trades.

When was the last time we managed to trade a mid-round player for a first round pick? I honestly can't remember.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carr just got cut because he couldn't get traded. He was a first rounder. Trent Green, who was amazing two years ago, is being shopped for a 7th. Everyone is valuing picks more than trades these days, well except for us.

Uh, both of those guys would be a 7M+ cap hit for anyone accepting the trade knowing that if they just waited for him to be released they could get him for nothing.

Not quite the same thing as the Ramsey or Gardner trades where we just didn't get anything.

it takes 2 to tango

a deal might be fair point wise but unless someone feels the need to trade up we're gonna be at #6. if we trade down solely to trade down we'll get ripped off.

if somone wants to trade up we can easily snag more points than the 6th pick is worth

Archived