Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More Redskins from Dr Zzzzzzzzzz's mailbag

drowland

Here's my favorite free-agency question ... from Wayne of Ashburn, Va. "Dr. Z, are you feeling OK? I mean you actually had something pleasant to say about Washington during the free-agency period."

Yeah, I'm feeling fine and I cashed a big bet from a couple of fellas who bet me I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Nah, I'm just kidding. I never accept bribes or cash bets, only food or wine. Which reminds me of a story. Here's what my mother once said when I presented her with a birthday present. "After the age of 70, the only gifts you want are things you can eat or drink. Gimme Jack Daniels."

One more Redskins question (actually three). From Win of Arlington, Va. "Will Jason Campbell be a good QB this year?" Hard to say. He can go down the field, but he sprays the ball. Let's give him two years. "Do they have a chance of reaching the Super Bowl?" No. Not enough really good players on both sides of the ball. "How much longer do you think Joe Gibbs will hang in there?" No way of knowing. Depends how much better he likes his NASCAR stuff than his NFL gig.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/03/15/mailbag/index.html

what the heck does "sprays the ball" mean? that's a technical phrase i have not heard before....is JC wiping his sweat on the ball? spitting on it? what the *ell!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. WTF?? Maybe he means his accuracy is off? I have no clue.

He's always on some other ****e. "Not enough really good players"??? Are you serious? 5 is damn near half and I can name at least 5 on both sides. CP, Moss, Samuels, Cooley, Randy, Sellers is a monster. Oh my bad that's 6. On D. Griff (healthy), Marcus, Springs (healthy), Fletch now, Taylor. We may not be Super Bowl material "really good" but it's "mind bottling" to say we don't have enough.

I think that means he throws it all over the field...short, medium and long passes, to different receivers....not just Moss.....

No, I think he means JC has problems with his accuracy in the short to intimidate range. Which is true. JC short hops a lot of throws in that range.

I'd say he aims the ball if anything..."Spraying" the ball in any context makes absolutley no sense. He's not all over the place, if he misses it's short or high, not usually behind or out in front. I'd also beg to differ with him on the good players remark. It's not that we don't have talent, it's that our talent hasn't gelled together yet, we're missing chemistry not talent. I think this team has top 5 talent (on offense at least). If you look at last season, had our defense been just bad, and not terrible, we would have gone at least 8-8. There's no reason for us not to be a playoff team, we just have to come together. If the Saints went to the NFC championship last year, almost anyone can. We're hands down better than them at just about every position. So I wouldn't be so quick to say any team can't make it to the Super Bowl (except for Cleveland, they'll never win).

JC was very accurate his senior year at Auburn. IIRC he completed about 70% of his passes. I remember watching him in the bowl game and I could not believe how accurate he was. It takes a while in the NFL to get your timing down and to feel comfortable in the pocket. Sometimes young players rush throws and they are inaccurate. I believe JC will be an accurate QB when he is more comfortable w/ the playbook and his WR's.

No, I think he means JC has problems with his accuracy in the short to intimidate range. Which is true. JC short hops a lot of throws in that range.

Winner!

He didn't mean "Spray's" as a compliment, it came as a "but" following praise of Campbell's ability to hit on deep passes fairly well. My sense is that he thinks Campbell's pretty effective in the deep passing game, but as drowland said, has consistency issues with the short and intermediate routes. A reasonable criticism, although a corolary to that critique should have been that his timing on said problems easily could be the biggest problem of any QB who hasn't seen starters snaps through the majority of his first two years in the league. Short and intermediate route passing are helped most of all by repetitions with said teammates. Campbell has never had the opportunity to really work on that with the first team guys until last november. If there is no progress throughout next year, than it becomes a potential fundamental flaw. Time will tell.

Here's my favorite free-agency question ... from Wayne of Ashburn, Va. "Dr. Z, are you feeling OK? I mean you actually had something pleasant to say about Washington during the free-agency period."

Yeah, I'm feeling fine and I cashed a big bet from a couple of fellas who bet me I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Nah, I'm just kidding. I never accept bribes or cash bets, only food or wine. Which reminds me of a story. Here's what my mother once said when I presented her with a birthday present. "After the age of 70, the only gifts you want are things you can eat or drink. Gimme Jack Daniels."

One more Redskins question (actually three). From Win of Arlington, Va. "Will Jason Campbell be a good QB this year?" Hard to say. He can go down the field, but he sprays the ball. Let's give him two years. "Do they have a chance of reaching the Super Bowl?" No. Not enough really good players on both sides of the ball. "How much longer do you think Joe Gibbs will hang in there?" No way of knowing. Depends how much better he likes his NASCAR stuff than his NFL gig.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/03/15/mailbag/index.html

After a losing season of 5-11 I think Dr. Z is just being conservative after sucha disapointing season. We actually have enough weapons for a Superbowl contention so i have to disaggree with this answer (Not enough really good players on both sides of the ball.) It really broke my heart the way the defense broke down last year but I think the coaches who scheme and players have learned what doesn't work. I think next year will come down to if the Redskins want it worse than the rest of the pack. We now have dept at corner, RB, WR, and LB. the next whole to fill is D-line and or a tall WR for Redzone and all around scheme help.

Yeah, I think he meant Jason is inaccurate in some of his throws. That's fair, too.

As far as not having enough talented players... well, you don't have a year like we did last season and have just a whole bunch of superstars on both sides of the ball, so that's fair too.

Portis healthy is very good and so is Moss. Apart from those guys, I'm not seeing a lot of superstars on our roster. Taylor has potential to be one, but he isn't playing like one to this point.

That's what free agency and the draft is for... to add playmakers to your squad.

Lets wait and see who we start the year with and then make predictions.

I don't find offense with his statements this time. I think it is fair based on JC's performance to question his accurasy, but even more fair to say let's give him a couple of seasons before we judge him. We haven't seen D Coordinators have enough film to really gameplan for his strengths and weaknesses yet. He's an unknown with a lot of positive potential right now, but he's still an unknown. As for the talent on both sides... yeah, that's a bit of a stretch, but from an outsider's point of view both Randle El and Lloyd did not light the skies on fire last year, we have a hole at guard, and Portis needs to make a comeback.

I personally think the offense will take off and be very good to great next year. I can understand skepticism though. The D has holes. There's just no two ways about it. I think the biggest hole had to do with the inability to strategically adapt, but we all know we have weaknesses.

Dr. ZZZZZZZZZ has been an idiot often. I don't think this is one of those times.

Our offense is filled with playmakers...not sure what kind of crack Z is smoking. :doh:

Now now... When the Ginats had Manning, Shockey, Burress, and Barber... THOSE were weapons (at least that's what the mediots say). The Redskins having Campbell, Portis, Cooley, Moss, and Randle El is not... They're all second rate talent (also according to the mediots).

I dont think its offensive to point out what JC needs to improve on.He does have trouble on some of the shorter stuff as we all saw last year.I think our coaches will really work on that in camp.One other thing could be familiarity with his WRs.The more time together will help them learn.Im with JoeyT,Campbell is the future!

Archived