Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has the front office finally gotten it together?

Riggins Seventy Chip

No way L.A comes here and Smoot was not a good signing????

I know the LA thing is probably a joke, but do you really think Smoot is the answer to our defensive problems? I am OK with his signing if we got him dirt cheap, but when you go back with the old gf, usually doesn't take long to remember why you left in the first place.

you forgot to mention the extensions for Jansen, Thomas, and Sellers

Yes I did. That shows planning and thinking through, rather than reactive and impulsive decisions, which is another good mark for the front office. Another good sign - as was mentioned earlier, we actually passed on Leonard Davis. He could have been both a bust and a further morale killer. Hopefully we drove up the price so Dallas had to spend more. Of course, as another poster mentioned, all of this restraint and good decision making is happening during a condition of less cap room and few draft picks, no ammo. Now, if Gibbs does in fact clean out the personnel department after the draft, then that is another good indication that change is afoot. Or, if we trade a draft pick to Denver for Dan Wilkenson, then we know that we are back to square one.

we have to wait and see how the draft goes before we think the FO has seen the error of their ways. Hopefully we trade down more than once on draft day and pick up numerous picks! Keep Strahan out of here and dont do anything stupid, and we will be OK.

I know the LA thing is probably a joke, but do you really think Smoot is the answer to our defensive problems? I am OK with his signing if we got him dirt cheap, but when you go back with the old gf, usually doesn't take long to remember why you left in the first place.

1) The defense had too many problems for one player to be considered the "answer". But one area in which Smoot is definitely an answer is the question of db depth. Smoot>>>>>Wright and Rumpf combined.

2) Smoot isn't the ex-gf we broke up with, he's the ex-gf who broke up with us...at least for a little while. He's the ex-gf we always loved, who went thru a phase of wanting to "see other people", then came back to us because she realized that she made a mistake and never stopped loving us as well lol :laugh:.

Having a "real" GM doesn't automagicly make you a better FO. There are plenty of terrible teams with a "real" GM. :2cents:

True and I don't disagree with you. But the current front office structure that we are using is not working. If we want to get back to winning on a consistent basis then we should go back to the mold that was set here in Coach Gibbs' first tour of duty.

A knowledgable GM with his own staff in place in the different scouting depts., a qualified head coach (which we already have), and an owner that knows when to stay out of the way and let his people do what they were hired to do (that one is still up in the air). When a disagreement comes up between the coach and GM over personnel issues, then do what the late and great JKC did... be the "tie-breaker".

What we are doing is not getting the job done. Being a GM and a head coach at the same time is to much for some coaches to take on. Mike Holmgren in Seattle had the same problem trying to pull double duty. Once Seattle's ownership made the decision to take away Holmgren's GM duties, they started to win. I believe the same thing must happen here for this team to be successful on a consistent basis.

Just my opinion..... :helmet:

If you look in your wallet and only have 75 cents, that would make you not spend your money. Now let me see them with a cap like the 49ers, 36 million under, and let's just see how much they have learned.

Hopefully he skins never get 36 mill under. niners were so pathetic and now just broke the bank on average to abover average players. i have a feeling what the niners did will look crazy come next december.

Until we go into the draft with the vast majority of our 1st day picks still available and stop making trades like Lloyd and getting hosed on trades like Portis/Bailey, I'm going to say no.

Fletcher and Smoot are steps in the right direction.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it applies here as well:

If the backup tight end for the Giants, Visanthe Shiancoe, signed a five-year, $18.5 million deal with $7 million guaranteed and $8.2 million in the first year, and if the third receiver for the Dolphins, Wes Welker, signed a seven-year $38.5 million deal, then you know Ladell Betts could have received easily $30 million with a $10 million bonus, if not more.

Kudos to our front office for getting some key deals done, in addition to Mike Sellers' 4 years for $4 million, right before FB Ovie Mughelli signed for 6 years and $18 million.

We saved a ton of money keeping some core guys here, and we really were committed to keeping our own, with Fox, Frost, etc. etc. being brought back.

I agree with all of that. Signing Betts and Sellers was HUGE, and BIG kudos should be sent to the FO on those moves. I just wish they had done the same thing with Dock. They either made a mistake by not nailing him down early (like last summer) or they consciously did not want him back.

Looking at the situation now, I agree they made the right decison to not get into a bidding war w/ Buffalo, but the question still remains, who is gonna assit in covering our rookie QB's backside? Who is gonna play LG for us. The OL was one of the few right spots we had last year. I was hoping to get some continuity there.

(I know JC isn't truly a "rookie", but I meant he hasn't started 16 games yet).

First of all, they're salary cap-constrained because of their wasteful spending, which is what kept them out of the races for the top free agents. And they've given away all their draft picks on disastrous trades last year, so we can't expect more than one decent player from the draft.

So this offseason is a total waste. You think this is a sign of improvement?

What I like the most is the moderate approach financially speaking with these signings. I am in a wait and see mode as well. It is difficult for folks to break old habits and Vinny is no exception. How these players do with us, based upon their struggles for the past couple of years, is yet to be determined. Hey, we could be a bust again BUT NOT overspend...and that would be progress for the Skins. Lots of time left, lots of action to come...let's see what happens.

Can't really assess until we pass through FA/draft in 2008.

The team's hands are tied this season:

- limitted cap relative to prevailing market prices

- limitted draft picks

we'll know better when we see how they handle things in a year when there is (hopefully) more strategic financial reserve to make whatever moves the team might think is best

I think we need to see a few years of constraint before we declare the methodology around here righted.

The worst thing about Dockery leaving, isn't the fact that we didn't have the cap room to match an insane contract....the worst thing is that our years of treating draft picks carelessly left us no young depth on the team behind him...and no pick suitable this year to replace him.

I'll believe the FO has really changed when I see 2 consective drafts with all 7 picks going into draft day.

I'm going to have to say no due to an audio clip I heard this morning on the way to work. It was Joe Gibbs stating once again that free agency is the BEST and proven way to get players that have performed at a high level in the league and it's their perferred method.

I like the moves made this off-season so far, but I still don't see free agency as the solution. Not only that, but this concerns me for the up coming draft. Are we going to trade the remaining freaking 2 picks we have left?

Archived