Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT : Davis wants $23 million guarenteed

Joncevensen

profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DAVIS WANTS BIG MONEY

Word on the NFL street is that free-agent offensive lineman Leonard "Big" Davis, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 draft, is looking for $23 million in guaranteed money.

We're told that the request was made during a visit by Davis to the Cowboys.

Consequently, the visit was a short one.

Hey, if the guy was that good, the Cardinals' line wouldn't have been so bad. And the Cards would have used some of their staggering cap surplus to keep him.

Next up for Davis is the Redskins. But if they weren't ready to pay Derrick Dockery, why would they pay Davis?

well, he was origanlly asking for 15 mill in garunteed money. I guess the new deals uped that price.

also, as to what you said about the cards line, there are 5 people on a line. 1 person can't make a great line all by himself.

Plus, he was playing at LT in Ariz. He is 366 pounds, and was going up against speed rushers. Now, move him inside to go up against DT's, and he will be more productive.

Im not saying I neccesraily want the guy, just stating some opinions.

more PFT crap. The Cowboys were close to signing him and I'm sure they wouldnt be giving him anywhere around 23 mil guaranteed.

Yea I'll believe that when I see it through a reliable source. If he does want 23 mil guaranteed though I hope they chase his ass out of Washington without a contract

remember this is PFT

true its PFT. Then again, PFT is not intending to give us perfect information, their intention is to give us inside the league information that they consider comfortable enough with to publish on the web. I will point out that they did a story based on Om's post on the Smoot signing even though it was the only thing PFT had on it.

I can understand a guy like Dockery emphasizing a big pay, considering he was drafted in the 3rd round and has played for pennies up to this point. Davis is a guy who was drafted #2 overall and has already had a rather large payday.

If in fact Davis wants this type of money, we need to look in another direction.

sad part is that with Guards being able to demand this money with a straight face, that #6 pick immediately just became prime trade down material for a 1st and a 2nd to pick up the premier guard and DL help.

What really ticks me off is that Dock's agent didn't even give us a chance to match the offer from the Bills. Clayton reported he didn't try to incite a bidding war between us and the Bills, he negotiated with the Bills.

I can understand a guy like Dockery emphasizing a big pay, considering he was drafted in the 3rd round and has played for pennies up to this point. Davis is a guy who was drafted #2 overall and has already had a rather large payday.

If in fact Davis wants this type of money, we need to look in another direction.

I think Dock is regarded as a guy with huge upside...I don't think Davis will get the type of contract he thinks he is due.

sad part is that with Guards being able to demand this money with a straight face, that #6 pick immediately just became prime trade down material for a 1st and a 2nd to pick up the premier guard and DL help.

What really ticks me off is that Dock's agent didn't even give us a chance to match the offer from the Bills. Clayton reported he didn't try to incite a bidding war between us and the Bills, he negotiated with the Bills.

it doesnt matter even if they would have talked to us. we would have NEVER paid that type of money to him

To be fair what would have been the point. at som epoint if I was leading the Skins side of the talks I would have said 'look we like Dock and we would love to have him back but $X is the best we are going to offer - if thats not enough we understand. If he can't get the offers you think he will get give me a call but if you can do better than that we wish him well' or words to that effect. Point being France would have know there was no ay we would have come close to what the Bills offered.

What is worrying me is that there is no way the Cards would offer the kind of money that Davis reportedly wants and they will probably think we are as stupid as we think the Bills are if we offer it.

Not sure what a reasonable deal would be at this point with some of the other money being thrown around at average players. We may be better off just seeing what Pucilo looks like and seeing what we can pick up in the draft and final training camp cuts.

Archived