Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ah geez. I need hip replacement surgery.

E-Dog Night

Just got back from the orthopaedic doc. It was lovely seeing the ball of my hip grind up against the hip socket on the x-rays. I guess it explains why I've been in so much pain lately. Bone on bone will tend to cause discomfort.

Don't know what caused it. Had some injuries when I was younger; football & an incredibly nasty wreck on a skateboard. But who knows.

It will probably be about a year before I have the surgery. Jesus, I'm getting old. Hip replacement? I pictured old men getting that procedure. I'm 37. WTF?

Anybody had any experience with this?

it happens when you post a lot on extreme, the weight from your fingers messes up the allignment on the hip, this is a known issue

:jk: I had a friend and she was 25 and very athetlic and had the same thing, no big worry, but the rehab is long so be patient you will be fine, no more flag or tackle football that is for sure :)

Damn dude, that really sucks. But its not only old people - Bo Jackson had hip replacement surgery!! (at least I think he did).

Yeah, he did. But no one would ever confuse me with Bo Jackson. When I said football, I stopped playing in 9th grade.

My guess is the skateboard accident. When I was 14 I went down this really steep hill and jumped off a bit too late. Vicious fall. Must have been going 30 MHP when I jumped of onto the side of the road that had a bunch of loose gravel. Caught air like you would not believe. Broke my wrist cracked my knee cap, both on the right side. Now it's my right hip that needs replacing. Doctor said it could be an old injury.

Sucks my man, if you have to wait a tear you might try GSX formula by bluebonnet to help with the joint pain...it helps me function and cuts down the throbbing.

I know a lot of people that have had it done with good results but I refuse to untill I can no longer function.

E-Dog,

Sorry to hear about your hip. Mine is just starting to cause me a little grief; I'm hoping that it is arthritis.

Do you know how long of a rehab you are looking at?

Take care!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but the reason I need the surgery is because of osteoarthritis. I'd get it checked out, man.

Word is that you spend a few days in the hospital getting & recovering from the surgery, then rehab is about 2-4 weeks.

E-Dog - my wife needs it. She is looking into Hip Resurfacing it is less intrusive and the recovery time is significantly shorter.

The doctor mentioned that as an option. He said that it woudn't be the same as a total replacement but it could hold me over for a number of years.

Not sure what I will do yet.

My wife had hip replacement surgery 3 years ago at the age of 27. It's really not that big of a deal... you are up and walking the next day. Obviously, there's some rehab involved but I was surprised at how quickly she was recovered.

It all depends on your lifestyle. If you don't need your hips for athletic reasons (ie. professional athlete).... then it's not a big deal. Don't worry.

The only PIA is that once you make a commitment to do it.. especially at a young age... you are in for life and the expectancy of the equipment is anywhere from 10-15 years (depending on how active you are); I've heard stories of them lasting 20+ years. However, if you're young and active... then you're probably going to have to undergo 2-3 in your lifetime.

The only real inconvenience is your going to have to be particularly careful of infections (any kind); so you'll have to take medicine prior to going to the dentist. Stuff like that.

And therein lies the rub. I'm in the golf business. Part of that is giving lessons. So in one way, I am a professional athlete. But of course, giving 10-20 hours of lessons a week isn't the same as being Bo Jackson.

But a play a ton of golf, as much as I can. There's nothing that makes my hip pain go through the roof like making that hip turn.

But I think I can handle surgery once every 15 years. I really don't know, though. This will be the 1st surgery of any kind that I've ever had.

I heard about some experimental treatment where they re-grow cartiledge that you donate and are able to re-insert it back into you once there is enough.

Anyone else heard of this? probably expensive.

Anyways, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Good luck with the recovery process, and remember to stay positive. You'll be back to 100% in no time at all.

The doctor mentioned that as an option. He said that it woudn't be the same as a total replacement but it could hold me over for a number of years.

Not sure what I will do yet.

E-Dog, I feel your pain. I had a total hip replacement in January of 1995, I was 32.

Guess how I injured mine? I was on a skateboard team and damaged it doing a trick in 9th grade. After a couple weeks of pain I was back to normal. Normal until a felt a slight twinge of pain when I was 22 or 23. From that point it was a slow decline in mobility and increase in pain for almost 10 years.

Doctors wanted me to hold off as long as possible, I did. I'd have to wake my wife up at 6am to put my socks on and to tie me work boots for me. When I could not get down on the floor to play with my 2 year old daughter, I knew I had waited too long.

I worked construction so my recoup time was substantially longer than the others have mentioned. I was out of work for 6 1/2 months. If I had a desk type job I would guess I would have been able to go back to work in approximately 2 months.

I'd do some serious investigating into this hip resurfacing. If it is a viable option and puts off the total hip, it may be worth it. It must be a fairly new procedure as it was not available for me.

Hold off on the surgery, but when it is affecting your quality of like, it is time!:)

D,

Wow, that all sounds very familiar. I can't tie my right shoe - if the laces come untied, I have to take off my shoe and tie it, then jam in back on (if my girlfriend is with me, she'll tie it for me, bless her heart. I only buy shoes without laces now). I put my right sock on by putting my right leg behind my left and slipping my sock on from the side.

Also, I started to feel pain, just slight twinges every so often, in my early 20's. If I would sit down after a run, it would flare up just for a second as I sat. Stuff like that.

Now it's pretty awful. I limp all the time. Getting in the car must be done very carefully. Eating at a restaurant booth is very difficult because of the need to lean forward. Even sitting on the can...let's just say I need to lean to the left a bit.

So it affects my life in lots of ways. I think it's pretty close to time.

Thanks for your note. Once your rehab was done, was it pretty much back to 100%?

Thanks for your note. Once your rehab was done, was it pretty much back to 100%?

My wife's ROM increased significantly from where it was pre-surgery... but I wouldn't say she has normal ROM. More than anything... you appreciate being able to perform ADL (activities of daily living) pain free.

BTW, do you have arthritis?

D,

Wow, that all sounds very familiar. I can't tie my right shoe - if the laces come untied, I have to take off my shoe and tie it, then jam in back on (if my girlfriend is with me, she'll tie it for me, bless her heart. I only buy shoes without laces now). I put my right sock on by putting my right leg behind my left and slipping my sock on from the side.

There is a contraption that helps allow you to put your socks on with out pain. It is two 3 foot pieces of rope the connnect to a concave piece of plastic. You put your sock over it, throw it out in front of you and pull the ropes towards you. Contact your nearest medical supply store or a doctor. no one ever tells you these things but it is a great simple tool!

Now it's pretty awful. I limp all the time. Getting in the car must be done very carefully. Eating at a restaurant booth is very difficult because of the need to lean forward. Even sitting on the can...let's just say I need to lean to the left a bit.[/

Yeah cars, booths and toilets were always difficult, they are too low. Does this sound familiar - I would drive in to work (15-20 minutes) and half way there would need to stop the truck, get out a stretch the leg because it would cramp with pain?

We make a good set, I always leaned to the right!!!;)

It took along time to get to close to 100%. I can now many things I was unable to from the age 25-35!:D

There are other items I determined were not worth taking the chance over. I will never put downhill skis on again and the cross-country motion is not really condusive, but I sure have down many other things for losing those past times!

I was probably given 40 to 50 different meds to try. The only one that seemed to help was plain old Advil, go figure.

Please feel free to continue this thread with questions or PM me any time!!!!

Chin up E-Dog!

Archived