Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Rex Grossman be the worst SB QB ever?

grampi

during the beginning and the middle of season, i was absolutely blown away at how rex grossman blew up, after all the talk in the preseason about brian griese taking his job possibly. after seeing the "bad rex" as he's called, you could come to the conclusion that he's a QB with talent, but is inconsistent as they come. it's a hit or miss with this guy. if the bears want to win the big one, they better hope good rex comes to play. if not, old man griese better warm up!

My problem with Rex is not that he is terrible but that he is terribly inconsistant . The worst thing that can happen for the Bears is the Colts run it out early and then Rex has to win the game and givien his clutch/crunch performances of late i really don't think HE can overcome his mistakes.

I am sure there were worse QBs in the superbowl i do remember this discussion when Jake Delhome went with the Panthers ... but it is all subjective if the bears win Rex will be set for life...

No one is trying to take anything away from you fontjones. But the fact that you are trying to paint this hero picture about Grossman is off base. I will be the first to admit that the Beears are one helluva team. Thats why they are in the Suprbowl! Congrats to you. But Grossman is the one and only glaring weakness of your team that I can see, not the savior.

He is either ok (a guy who can get some first downs and keep the offense on the field) or he craps the bed big time. the entire NFL knows how to beat him. Constant pressure. Pressure + Grossman = turnovers.

I wish you the best of luck next Sunday. But the Colts defense is finally here and the pass rush of June and Freeny is probably the quickest you have played all year. I think Grossman is going to tank. And if I am wrong, I will come back here for a nice large helping of crow. Take that to the bank.

Colts 32 Bears 17 Final

Warped thinking here. What QB can't be beaten with constant pressure? Brady threw 3 INT's against SD and it could have easily been two more since they were dropped. Manning looked real bad in his first two and a half playoffs games. McNair looked bad too. QB's are often only as good as their scheme, their receivers and their OL. Coming into the season, the Bears had one of the most inexperienced receiving corps in the league. Moose was the only WR with any experience and I think he is past his prime. That's why they tried so hard for Randle El.

If the stats show us anything, the Bears will probably run well against the Colts and Hester will provide them with good field position on a regular basis. This will make Grossman's job much easier against a very good pass defense. When he has his top 3 receivers (Berrian, TE Desmond and Moose) healthy, which sometimes hasn't been the case, he usually does fine.

• 2 weeks later...
No one is trying to take anything away from you fontjones. But the fact that you are trying to paint this hero picture about Grossman is off base. I will be the first to admit that the Beears are one helluva team. Thats why they are in the Suprbowl! Congrats to you. But Grossman is the one and only glaring weakness of your team that I can see, not the savior.

He is either ok (a guy who can get some first downs and keep the offense on the field) or he craps the bed big time. the entire NFL knows how to beat him. Constant pressure. Pressure + Grossman = turnovers.

I wish you the best of luck next Sunday. But the Colts defense is finally here and the pass rush of June and Freeny is probably the quickest you have played all year. I think Grossman is going to tank. And if I am wrong, I will come back here for a nice large helping of crow. Take that to the bank.

Colts 32 Bears 17 Final

My final was pretty close. I told you Grossman was going to tank. 2 int's and 2 botched snaps? 4 feaking turnovers? Grossman should lose his starting job this offseason.

Overall good game... if you are a Colts fan!:laugh:

Grossman is a fair QB. I've definately seen worse. Woodley was HORRIBLE against us in 82. He completed what, 4 passes?

I think Grossman looked bad yesterday because of harsh weather conditions. He's a young guy and is probably not used to playing in pouring rain and gusting winds.

Did Chicago get to the SB on Grossman's back? No way. But he wasn't a bad QB this year. He just had a bad game under tough conditions on Sunday.

Grossman is a fair QB. I've definately seen worse. Woodley was HORRIBLE against us in 82. He completed what, 4 passes?

I think Grossman looked bad yesterday because of harsh weather conditions. He's a young guy and is probably not used to playing in pouring rain and gusting winds.

Did Chicago get to the SB on Grossman's back? No way. But he wasn't a bad QB this year. He just had a bad game under tough conditions on Sunday.

I don't know. When it seems like a positive outcome for a play is an incomplete pass, I'd say he was pretty terrible.

I thought Rex should've been the MVP of the Super Bowl... for the Colts.

I was with ya until you said he wasn't used to gusting winds. Have you ever been to Chicago? :laugh:

I think the weather in Miami yesterday was atypical football weather for any city. The wind was only part of it.

Manning is arguably the best QB of his era and even he looked average in it.

I don't think Grossman looked particuarly good :) I'm just saying there might have been more to it than him just being sucky.

I don't think Grossman looked particuarly good :) I'm just saying there might have been more to it than him just being sucky.

I agree. It seemed as if he just couldn't handle the wet football. I think both of his picks would have been TDs on a dry field; those are throws he typically makes. I was just giving you a hard time about the gusting winds! ;) Remember Robbie Gould's field goal from a couple years ago? Where he kicked it and the wind took it like 20 yards off course? :laugh:

I think that, understated in this whole Rex debate, is how much of an effect the Colts defense would have had against any QB they'd have faced in that game. Rex is inconsistant, but I don't think he's a total loss. He has the requisite skills to be a very good QB, he's just inconsistant -- which means he just needs the wisdom in decision making that comes from experience and coaching. I read elsewhere on a Bears board about needing a (better) QB coach, someone who will go talk with Rex after he throws an int rather than letting him sit on the bench with his cap on and head down, and I completely agree with that.

Personally, I'd rather Rex just suck. But I honestly don't think he will. He's kinda like David Carr in that regard, the coaching staff can set him up for success or for failure, and I think they dropped the ball with him this year.

I agree. It seemed as if he just couldn't handle the wet football. I think both of his picks would have been TDs on a dry field; those are throws he typically makes.

Well, maybe the second one would have been. The receiver had his man beat and all Grossman had to do was lead him toward the sideline.

However, the first INT (returned for a TD) was not as much a bad throw as it was a horrible decision. He threw that one up there even though the CB was sitting on the double-move. He deserved that INT all the way.

He also benefitted from two dropped INTs so he could have easily thrown 4 on the day.

He's a very shaky QB that may have cost the Bears the championship.

He's kinda like David Carr in that regard, the coaching staff can set him up for success or for failure, and I think they dropped the ball with him this year.

In my opinion, if you are reliant on the coaching staff altering things for you so that you don't fail, then you are a weak QB. I understand that needing to happen for a rookie early on...but at this point in a non-rookie season (even if it was his rookie year actually), he should sink or swim on his own. If Lovie has to dumb things down to avoid turnovers, etc. then Rex isn't holding up his end of the bargain. :2cents:

TD, I think you're grossly oversimplifying the situation. You have no idea what is actually on Grossman's plate, and/or how much coaching he has received to facilitate his being able to perform the functions needed in his system. And for the record, I don't know either. But I strongly suspect that he could use more/better coaching.

Nobody said anything about "dumbing down" anything for Rex, either. Do you think Payton never gets any coaching? Or Brady? Or any other QB in the league? If a QB gets coaching, does that automatically mean they're "dumb" according to you?

TD, I think you're grossly oversimplifying the situation. You have no idea what is actually on Grossman's plate, and/or how much coaching he has received to facilitate his being able to perform the functions needed in his system. And for the record, I don't know either. But I strongly suspect that he could use more/better coaching.

Nobody said anything about "dumbing down" anything for Rex, either. Do you think Payton never gets any coaching? Or Brady? Or any other QB in the league? If a QB gets coaching, does that automatically mean they're "dumb" according to you?

Well, I misunderstood what you were saying then...my apologies. If you just mean that Rex wasn't coached well, I guess there's no way I can refute that because I don't know.

However, I thought by the way you wrote "the coaching staff can set him up for success or failure" that you were referring to how they handled him in the game and what they exposed him to/didn't expose him to.

To me, you're right, all QBs need coaching, but I'm not sure why one would assume Rex got any less than the other QBs in the league this year. It all boils down to Rex being the lone weak link on a good team. He essentially lost them the game on Sunday and has lost them a few games earlier in the year (along with having games won despite his efforts).

He may need more coaching, but I think most of the problem is with him. :2cents:

However, I thought by the way you wrote "the coaching staff can set him up for success or failure" that you were referring to how they handled him in the game and what they exposed him to/didn't expose him to.

To an extent, I did mean that, but I also suspect that the QB coaching defficency is systemic in the Bears organization.

My greater point is that Rex has flashes of brilliance, and he has had some good solid games this year, so IMO he has the skills necessary to be a good/great QB. And if that's the case, the coaching staff needs to do a better job of bringing that out of him, both on the practice field and at game time. :2cents:

Or you could be right, and Rex could be incorrigibly flakey. :D

If anyone should have been ready for the weather it was Grossman, he's the one that played in Florida in college.

To an extent, I did mean that, but I also suspect that the QB coaching defficency is systemic in the Bears organization.

My greater point is that Rex has flashes of brilliance, and he has had some good solid games this year, so IMO he has the skills necessary to be a good/great QB. And if that's the case, the coaching staff needs to do a better job of bringing that out of him, both on the practice field and at game time. :2cents:

Or you could be right, and Rex could be incorrigibly flakey. :D

I think we're both right (and wrong?). I think he's got plenty of skills to be good, but I'm not convinced he's got what it takes from a mental standpoint. I think he psyches himself out.

I would be mortified on every passing play if Rex was our QB...

He's still young in NFL years and already has SB experience. If he improves as a QB and has a successful team in the future that is going to be EXTREMELY helpful. You can't teach what you're going to go thru in the time between the Championship game and the SB, he'll be better if he ever gets there again.

I don't think he's one of the worst we've seen in a SB, he's young and his faults are fixable.

Did Hostetler start the 90-91 superbowl? He gets my vote along with Eason and Dilfer.[/Quote]

Hostetler was more than serviceable. The Giants held the ball for over 40 minutes against the Bills. He couldn't have been that bad for the offense to do that. Hostetler in no way should be mentioned with the worst possible QB's to play in a Super Bowl.

Now, if you want to pick a Giants QB, how about Kerry Collins. At least that one you were able to watch and understand it. You were a baby when Hostetler played.

']Hostetler was more than serviceable. The Giants held the ball for over 40 minutes against the Bills. He couldn't have been that bad for the offense to do that. Hostetler in no way should be mentioned with the worst possible QB's to play in a Super Bowl.

Now' date=' if you want to pick a Giants QB, how about Kerry Collins. At least that one you were able to watch and understand it. You were a baby when Hostetler played.[/quote']

I agree Tom, Hostetler did not play himself into this category. Not only is Rex not a good QB he did not play that well yesterday either. Collins had what four picks in that game. However, he has an arm and would not have thrown that lame duck under-thrown pass in the second half.

Archived