Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Rex Grossman be the worst SB QB ever?

grampi

I can't think of another QB as bad as he is. Not Trent Dilfer, not Brad Johnson. The Bears have won all season IN SPITE of Grossman, but I don't think the Bears have enough rabbits in the hat to beat Indy, even if Grossman was somehow able to play a good game. What say you?

Ok, this will be a somewhat long post so I apologize. Now, I live in the North East (and I assume you do as well) so you probably didn't get to watch most of the Bears games. The ones you did were most likely the Cardinals game, Seahawks game, maybe the Rams game and probably the Packers game (all were primetime).

I watched them all, so I will have to educate you. So Rex Grossman is the worst starting QB in the history of the SB and the Bears win in spite of him not because him. For whatever reason, the Bears won and dominated the early season so much that they got a lot of media attention. The only bad thing you could say about the Bears was that Grossman was young an inexperienced. So the media did that.

On to the Bears games in which you stated, the Bears win in spite of Rex Grossman not because of him, let's remember that!

Green Bay: Bears win 26-0, shutting out the Packers in Packerland. Rex Grossman is 18/26 with one TD and one INT. He throws 12 passing 1st down completions and four on third down. 262 yards through the air. Sounds like they won because of him in that game, so 1-0 in favor of Rex.

Detroit Lions: "we will win" Roy Williams says. Bears win the game 34-7 and Rex Grossman is 20-27 289 yards and 4 TDs. 11 passing first downs for Rex, one third down conversion for Rex but they were only on 3rd down 9 times during the game. Rex won that one obviously, 2-0.

Vikings: Ah, Rex is 23/41 for 238 yards one TD and one INT that was returned for a TD. Rex has 14 passing first downs, five on third down. One int for a TD is bad and they are trailing late in the fourth quarter by 16-12 I think, so a FG is not going to do it. They need a TD. Rex makes two key passing conversions and one game winning TD pass. They won because of him in that game, 3-0

Seattle: 17 for 31 232 yards 2 TDs and no INTs. Rex makes several key passes that expose the weak Seattle secondary. Gotta give him 4-0

Buffalo: 15/27 182 yards and 2 TDs, 10 passing 1st downs and 7 third down conversions. The Bears win 40-7, Rex plays one possession of the third quarter I think and Griese comes in for the rest of the game. 5-0 for Rex it seems.

Cardinals: The first Bear game you and the rest of the country probably watched as it was MNF. 14/37 and 4 INTs and one fumble. The Bears dont do anything on offense, but score two defensive TDs and one Hester TD in the fourth quarter and win the game. Denny Green's famous post game speech. Gotta go against Rex in this one. 5-1, and in front of the national TV viewing audience to boot!.

Bye Week: One more week for the medial to expose Rex as at this point he is the only thing that you can write in a negative sense about the Bears.

49ers: 23/29 3 TDs no INTs Rex is pulled at halftime cause the Bears were leading 40-0. 15 passing 1st downs, 7 third down conversions. 6-1 for Rex.

Miami: Bears get dominated by Miami. 31-13, Rex is 18/42 210 yards 1 TD and 3 INTs. Dolphins score all of their points on about 40 yards of offense, a truly horrible performance for Rex. 6-2

Giants: Sunday Night Football, which Rex will show up is the new thing for the Media to say. 18/30 for 246 yards and 3 TDs and one INT. He plays a poor 27 minutes, but then rebounds after trailing and leads them to victory. Hesters TD was the icing, but Rex made the TDs happen. 11 passing 1st downs and 9 third down conversions. 7-2 even though he had a bad first half.

Jets: Bears win 10-0 Rex is 11/22 for 119 yards and 1 TD. Clearly a different game plan which worked. Rex only has 4 passing first downs but one big play to a receiver who makes the TD. So we can call this one a wash, 7-3

Patriots Bears lose 17-14, Both the Bears and the Pats have turnovers, Bears have a chance to win it at the end but Grossman throws an INT. 7-4

Vikings: Bears win 23-13. Grossman is horrible 7-5 Bears clinch the NFC North.

Rams on MNF. Bears win 42-27. Our defense starts to look bad from here on out. Hester scores twice. Grossman is 13-23 200 yards and 2 TDs 10 passing first downs. 8-4 for Rex as our defense played bad and needed him to move the ball.

Tampa Bay Bears win in overtime 34-31. Rex is 29/44 for 339 yards 2 TDs. Our defense gives up three TDs in the fourth quarter and the Bucs force overtime. Rex makes two key passing conversions and one long passing conversion to set up the game winning FG attempt which is good. 9-4 for Rex. Bears clinch home field advantage through out the play-offs.

Detroit: Bears win 26-21 Rex is 20/36 197 and one TD and he has 11 1st downs passing. Griese comes in at the 4th quarter, the Bears have already clinched home field advantage. Terry Bradshaw says "Grossman was benched because he was playing so bad" yet he was only slated to play one half. 10-4.

Packers: Sunday Night Football, Home Field Advantage was clinched weeks ago. Grossman puts up a 0.0 rating, boos, etc. He admits later he didnt ever prepare for this game. Though it didnt mattter, still gotta go against Rex. 10-5.

Post Season

Seattle: Bears Win in Over time 27-24. Rex is 21/38 282 yards one TD one INT. Defense plays badly but makes some key stops. Game goes into overtime. Rex makes a key 1st down through the air and the key long pass to Daivs that sets up the FG. 11-5 for Rex.

Saints: NFC Championship Game: Bears win 39-14. Rex is 11/26 for 144 yards and 1 TD. The game is close and the Bears lead 16-14 during the second half when Rex (who had a horrible 1st half) leads them on a long drive that results in a TD. The Bears get a safety soon after and the game is not close after that. The Bears needed Rex to make that drive and he did so despite the low yardage and the bad 1st half I have to give it to Rex. 12-5.

So there you go. 12 wins out of the 15 wins so far have been because Grossman either made key drives during the game, did not make mistakes, or flat out dominated the other teams. Three games that were on primetime he stunk it up so bad that the media HAD to address the issue, and two were washes.

In the play-offs, when Brady is throwing INTs and Manning is throwing INTs and all the other QBs are playing bad its little Rex Grossman who is making key drives during the game that result in TDs or game winning FGs. He out plays Hasslebeck and Drew Brees who are both pro-bowl QBs (in the fourth quarter mind you and that is where it is the QB time to shine).

Yet because only Bear fans watched all the Bears games and the rest of the country saw the Cardinals or Packers game they base thier opinion on those games. I have given you stats and results that clearly the Bears have won 12 games (including 2 playoff games) because of Rex Grossman.

Can Rex have a bad game, you bet...the Cardinal and Packer and Miami games show that and everyone saw it happen. Can he have a good game, you bet. Both play-off games show that and 10 wins in the regular season because of him.

Yet you think he is "the worst QB ever to make a SB". Have you watched all of the Superbowls? Did you see the Miami one where Woodley was the Qb, what about the Vikings SB before they got Fran (Was Pipp his name?) Those were some pretty bad QBs. What about Dilfer or Brad Johnson who win because they dont make mistakes rather than make plays.

Grossman may be shaky at times during games, but so is every other QB. He may be great at times during games, but so is every other QB. No other QB in the league has had their two worst performances in Primetime, which is probably the only Bear games you saw this year. So the media bases their evaluation of Rex on those two games and the rest of the country seems to follow that same belief.

Sorry for the long post, but if you are going to be a football fan (and the Redskins are one of the oldest franchises in all of sports with some of the greatest players) at least have the guts to do a little research.

Bradshaw was actually comparable before his first SB win in 1974. He was benched in favor of the world beater Joe Gilliam (who had 51 whole completions outside of 1974) for part of the season, his FIFTH season as a starter I believe. I believe his QB rating was 55 that year, which ranked him 25th or 26th in the league. Plus he had more talent at his disposal than Grossman has at WR. The Steelers had John Stallworth and Lynn Swann. This is just Grossman's first full year as a starter. His 23 regular season starts rank as fewer than any SB winning QB other than Brady (Big Ben had 25).

So there you go. 12 wins out of the 15 wins so far have been because Grossman either made key drives during the game, did not make mistakes, or flat out dominated the other teams. Three games that were on primetime he stunk it up so bad that the media HAD to address the issue, and two were washes.

In the play-offs, when Brady is throwing INTs and Manning is throwing INTs and all the other QBs are playing bad its little Rex Grossman who is making key drives during the game that result in TDs or game winning FGs. He out plays Hasslebeck and Drew Brees who are both pro-bowl QBs (in the fourth quarter mind you and that is where it is the QB time to shine).

Yet because only Bear fans watched all the Bears games and the rest of the country saw the Cardinals or Packers game they base thier opinion on those games. I have given you stats and results that clearly the Bears have won 12 games (including 2 playoff games) because of Rex Grossman.

Can Rex have a bad game, you bet...the Cardinal and Packer and Miami games show that and everyone saw it happen. Can he have a good game, you bet. Both play-off games show that and 10 wins in the regular season because of him.

Yet you think he is "the worst QB ever to make a SB". Have you watched all of the Superbowls? Did you see the Miami one where Woodley was the Qb, what about the Vikings SB before they got Fran (Was Pipp his name?) Those were some pretty bad QBs. What about Dilfer or Brad Johnson who win because they dont make mistakes rather than make plays.

Grossman may be shaky at times during games, but so is every other QB. He may be great at times during games, but so is every other QB. No other QB in the league has had their two worst performances in Primetime, which is probably the only Bear games you saw this year. So the media bases their evaluation of Rex on those two games and the rest of the country seems to follow that same belief.

Sorry for the long post, but if you are going to be a football fan (and the Redskins are one of the oldest franchises in all of sports with some of the greatest players) at least have the guts to do a little research.

Sorry pal, but you need to tyake off your blue and ornage glasses. Grossman sucks. Everybody in the NFL knows it, and you should too. Your defense carried you team all year. Your breakdown is not good at all. you have games in there where he only throws for 1 TD yet you win games 38-7. Those games are not won by Grossman throwing one TD. Here is my breakdown and the only one you really need to see...

WK1- Grossman threw the one and only offensive TD. Bears win 26-0. Yeah! Grossman was the hero of the day! Not. Go D-E-F-E-N-S-E!!! 0-1.

WK2- Grossman throws for 4 TD's Hooray Grossman! You shined! 1-1.

WK3- In a game of field goals, Grossman squeka one in late in the fourth quarter. Gould is your man today! 1-2.

WK4- Grossman tosses 2 TD's, but the run game finally shows up for 2 TD's and gould slams another field goal. Defense keeps Seattle from scoring. Grossman played decent, but did not win the game for the team. Wash. 1-2.

WK5- Ditto from WK4. Wash. 1-2.

WK6- Grossman craps the bed on national TV! 4 int's 2 fumbles. History making game. No doubt this one will not soon be forgotten. 1-3.

WK7- Bye (thank god!)

WK8- Grossman decides to show up again. he throws for 3 TD's. Rushing game is still going strong with 2 TD's. Tilt Grossman. 2-3.

WK9- MIAMI MASSACRE!!! 1 TD. 3 int's 1 fumble. Enough said! 2-4.

WK10- Bears bite the Giants. 3 TD's 1 int. Grossman fairly splits the score with his defense. Nod goes to Grossman. 3-4.

WK11- One sleeper of a game. Grossman does not win or lose this one. This game was all defense all day. 3-4.

WK12- Another defensive grind and another sleeper. The score was close, but Grossman throw 3 ints that the Pats turn into points. 3-5.

WK13- Grossman has a 3 int repeat of the week before. Defense saves the day! 3-6.

WK14- Grossman does throw 2 TD's, but that was not enough to beat the 27 points put up by St. Louis. Good run game and Hester save the day. 3-7.

WK15- Good show Grossman. 4-7.

WK16- Gould won the game, Grossman did not lose it. Wash. 4-7.

WK17- Another 3 int 1 fumble outing. 4-8.

Grossman is pretty bad dude. He has 23 TD's, 20 Int's and 8 fumbles on the year. To put it bluntly, he coughs up the ball more than he scores.

Man that was tiring and probably a complete waste of page space.

He also enterred the season with one of the weakest receiving corps in the NFL. Mohammed was his only experienced WR on the team. Plus the running game took weeks to develop which is why he won NFC offensive player of the month for September. His stats would have been better if he played better in the red zone early.

To be honest, I'm tired of this ridiculous sentiment. Until he actually plays the game how can anyone with a brain say his the worst Super Bowl QB in history? I'm sure everyone was picking Doug Williams to beat John Elway in the Super Bowl before the game started. Well I was, but I was 8 at the time and thats besides the point :D

Teams are built differently. The Colts team is built around Peyton Manning and he must throw at the bare minimum at least 3 TDs a game or else they have to rely on the defense. Their defense showed up in the play-offs while Manning played badly.

The Patriots are built around two things. Tom Brady, and a defense that is able to make adjustments in game. They need Brady to make at least two long drives a game that result in TDs and they need their defense to be able to adjust on the fly. They did this in every game except the Miami game.

The Redskins are built on one thing only, and that is Clinton Portis. He runs, he opens up the passing game and the TE passing game. You saw last year what the Skins are able to do with Portis. He was injured this year and your offense could never recover.

The Giants are built on two thing. Massive production from Tiki Barber and the defense being able to get to the QB with both of their pro-bowl DEs. You saw what happened early on in the year, the racked up the wins. But as soon as those DEs went out they crumbled.

So dont base the Bears off other teams' designs. The Bears are not the Redskins with a power running back who opens up everything else, they are not the Patriots with a pro=bowl QB and the ability to coach defensively on the fly.

They are the Bears. And the Bears are specifically designed to get 3 turnovers per game on defense which shortens the field for their offense. That's it, everything else is gravy. Grossman is not expected to make 2 passing TDs per game. He is expected to make at least two long drives per game that at the bare minimum result in FG but hopefully allow for a chance to run it in for a TD. The special teams play was a huge added bonus that made the basic game plan better. The team is no supposed to rely on one individual, especially not a QB with that little experience. That is what you had when Jason Campbell got in to play, you had to rely on him because there was nothing else.

I watched every Bear game this year, I know exactly what I am talking about. I have seen the coach's plan and the defensive coach's plan develop for three years. This isnt something that just happened, Coach Smith came into the situation with a ball control offense in mind, and despite a few hiccups along the way that is precisely what they got.

Maybe if you guys had an actually GM who wasn't a fan and just threw his money around you might actually have a shot. Overpaying for Adam A? The guy is a run stopper not a cover guy....If you have a bad plan, it doesnt matter who you sign you will always have a bad plan and have nothing to fall back on.

The Bears have about three things they can fall back on when things get bad, defense, special teams and the two running backs. They may not pass for 300 yards and 4 TDs like Jason Campbell was asked to do, but guess what, they didnt have to and they are in the SB because of it.

I have criticized Grossman all year long for mental mistakes, turnovers, etc. But I never lost site of the fact that in 12 of those games he played, he did exactly what they asked of him. Two long drives that result in FG or TD tries with an emphasis on the rush TD.

So maybe instead of coming out with some lame statement and failing to back it up with facts, just sit back and enjoy the game and maybe you will learn a thing or two about team football.

Archived