Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

for those of you who want to sign Asante Samuel...

Fifty Gut

There was basically no free agency in the 80's. A player had to stay with the team that drafted him unless he was traded or cut. a version came in late 80's called plan B (there was a plan A?) but it was very limited.

Casserley was great at Plan B though he built the 91 team using plan B.

Plan B, yes. I dont remember the limitations involved in that. I remember Eric Dickerson was the first really high-profile guy to use it when he went to the Colts.

Nate Clements doesn't really pull in too many interceptions

FF INT

2001 Bills 65 55 10 3 3

2002 Bills 64 51 13 0 6

2003 Bills 62 51 11 3 0

2004 Bills 78 58 20 5 6

2005 Bills 102 81 21 3 2

2006 Bills 72 56 16 2 3

any reason why?

Sounds like he'll fit in real nicely around here then. :(

Asante Samuel does have 10 picks. Isn't there another corner who has 10 picks this year???... ummm... Mr. Bailey? They share the league lead for interceptions this year.

I'm not putting the two on the same level, but this season he has proven that he should be ranked as one of the top corners in the league. You can't blame the picks on the system either. Name me another Pats CB outside of Ty Law that has racked up a bunch of INT's like that the past few seasons.

And my comment on that article: How the hell did Asante Samuel run a 5.4? Thats slower than me.

Seriously speaking, he probably just didn't know how to run. High-school is the first time that a lot of kids have the chance to work with a track coach or just a coach in general that can teach them proper basic running fundamentals that can easily shave several tenths of a second off of a kid's 40 time.

i dont understand why people are making such a big deal about this tattoo. i mean really who doesn't want to get money? and honestly most black young men are raised with the idea of getting rich. im not trying to make a sterio type or anything thats really just the way it is. or atleast around the area i live in. its not that big of a deal.

Asante's tattoo succintly outlines exactly why many players come to the Redskins - per Brian Mitchell

"To get paid"

For those of you asking what is wrong with the tattoo, the answer is simple. It explains where the guy's priorities are. He wants to get paid 6.3 instead of 6.2 million. When you make as much as these guys do, 100,000 just isn't that much. Team loyalty should matter to you and it shows that some systems make people good players. Fred Smoot is the perfect example. Here in Washington he was a near Pro-Bowler. Now he has to fight as a nickel in Minnesota, a team that has everyone throwing at them because you don't run on Minnesota.

Samuel is a product of the system and it is proven that play WR can play CB on that team.

For those of you asking what is wrong with the tattoo, the answer is simple. It explains where the guy's priorities are. He wants to get paid 6.3 instead of 6.2 million. When you make as much as these guys do, 100,000 just isn't that much. Team loyalty should matter to you and it shows that some systems make people good players. Fred Smoot is the perfect example. Here in Washington he was a near Pro-Bowler. Now he has to fight as a nickel in Minnesota, a team that has everyone throwing at them because you don't run on Minnesota.

Samuel is a product of the system and it is proven that play WR can play CB on that team.

Okay....I will deduct 5 INT's for the system helping.....How many corners on this team had 5 INT's last season? Is he better than what we have? Just get Smoot and Harper for what Samuel would be paid.

Samuel is younger and has more upside, but I think Nate Clements is the more likely candidate because of:

- He played for Gregg Williams

- He knows our system

- He provides some veteran leadership

- He's a bigger physical presence then Samuel (6-0 at 209 lbs compared to 5-10 at 185 lbs).

And after reading this article, I'd feel more comfortable with Clements on our team.

NO coincidence that he is having a career year in his contract year. I wouldn't touch this guy with ten foot pole. I think that clements would be the better choice in this instance. I would prefer that we start to develop through the draft, but seeing that we don't have any draft picks to develop really, I would say that this would be the best choice.

Wow, I'm amazed that some of you are defending his preposterous tattoo. Why not get a tattoo that says "I'm selfish, all I care about is money?" That tattoo is an unequivocally bad message.

It's almost as foolish to point to interceptions as a metric of CB performance. Sure, it's nice and all... but I'd rather have a CB who has 0 interceptions because teams rarely throw on him.

Guess how many picks Deion averaged over his 5 years in Dallas, when he'd established himself as the premiere shut down corner. Just guess.

It's no one's business what he has tattoed on his arm or whatever.

I am weary of Asante, he's coming off a huge year (his contract year) and I wonder how much playing in the NE defense behind the LBs and D-Line helps his play. Kenny Wright couldn't cover my mom and he looked pretty effective playing behind the Jacksonville D-Line flying in for hard tackles in run support.

I assume he's a cheaper option then Clements in FA, but I'm not sure how much cheaper he'll be. Young CB coming off a 10int season? Those don't come cheap... We'll see who will be bidding for these CBs this off-season.

It's no one's business what he has tattoed on his arm or whatever.

I am weary of Asante, he's coming off a huge year (his contract year) and I wonder how much playing in the NE defense behind the LBs and D-Line helps his play. Kenny Wright couldn't cover my mom and he looked pretty effective playing behind the Jacksonville D-Line flying in for hard tackles in run support.

I assume he's a cheaper option then Clements in FA, but I'm not sure how much cheaper he'll be. Young CB coming off a 10int season? Those don't come cheap... We'll see who will be bidding for these CBs this off-season.

The 9ers and Jets, from what I hear are going to be making strong pushes for Clements and Samuel respectively. I would rather fly under the radar and snag Roddy Hood from the Iggles.

Archived