Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

for those of you who want to sign Asante Samuel...

Fifty Gut

Just get Smoot and Harper for what Samuel would be paid.

Harper is going to be 33 next season. He's older than Shawn Springs, who will turn 32 this March. I think it's pretty well documented what happens when we sign old veterans. The free agent market isn't very impressive at corner this coming offseason. I could see us giving a versatile guy like Jordan Babineaux a look because he has played both corner and safety. Unfortunately he's a restricted free agent, and we can't afford to give up draft picks for a player of his caliber. David Macklin might get a look. I just don't think it's wise to spend big time on Samuel or Clements.

i don't blame him for not taking whatever the pats offered. they low-ball everyone. i'd still take him, even if he wants earn as much money as possible and *gulp* has a tattoo.

I agree. Think about it. Playing in the NFL is VERY hard work. Asante Samuel came into the league and did well. I know when Ty law left, he had like 10 interceptions with the Jets. I wouldn't mind Samuels leaving the Pats, and picking off 10 passes, especially if he pulled a hat trick on Romo sits to pee :laugh:

Nate Clements doesn't really pull in too many interceptions

FF INT

2001 Bills 65 55 10 3 3

2002 Bills 64 51 13 0 6

2003 Bills 62 51 11 3 0

2004 Bills 78 58 20 5 6

2005 Bills 102 81 21 3 2

2006 Bills 72 56 16 2 3

any reason why?

He's a great cover corner who doesn't get thrown on very much. May explain why he has low INT totals. Plus Buffalo doesn't have much of a pass rush like us, so it may have limited his opportunities.

Plan B, yes. I dont remember the limitations involved in that. I remember Eric Dickerson was the first really high-profile guy to use it when he went to the Colts.

Actually Dickerson was traded in a 10 player deal that sent him to the Colts.

Here is the link to the details to the trade.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1980s/eric_dickerson.jsp

Here is the history of plan B free agency and how it worked:

For many years, NFL players' mobility was limited by the so-called "Rozelle Rule", named for the commissioner who first implemented it, which allowed the commissioner to "compensate" any team who lost a free agent to another team by taking something of equivalent value, usually draft picks, from the team that had signed the free agent and giving it to the team which the player had left. Fear of losing several future high draft picks greatly limited free agency as no team wanted to sign a veteran player only to learn that it would lose, for example, its next two first-round draft picks. The Rozelle Rule was eventually replaced by "Plan B", which allowed a team to name a thirty-seven man roster to which the reserve clause would apply, and all players not included on this list were to become free agents. Obviously, few top-echelon players were left off of this thirty-seven man roster unless they happened to be injured. Courts eventually ruled this plan to be an antitrust violation, and something resembling true free agency came to pro football. Now, exclusive rights to a player are only for the first three years after his selection in the college draft; in the next period of the career, a player can be a "restricted free agent", allowing his former team to match any offer made to him by another; after six years in the NFL all contracts end with the player becoming an unrestricted free agent without reserve.

Asante Samuel = Product of Patriots system

Yeah, and Washington Redskins = Product of the Washington Redskins system.

New England just keeps on reloading and finding a way with what they do, not who they buy in. Samuels absolutely fits into how we do things. The Pats know damn well they can find and coach someone else to play well at corner.

Us, we're undefeated in the FA market.

He was weighted down by all the gold bling he was wearing. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, 5.4 is freaking slow. I'm not really a fan of bringing him in here, but I do have to admit he obviously works hard to get where he wants to be. Going from 5.4 to good CB speed is not easy. Question is...once he is there does he continue to work hard or just sit back and rake in the cash?

Here is the history of plan B free agency and how it worked:

For many years, NFL players' mobility was limited by the so-called "Rozelle Rule", named for the commissioner who first implemented it, which allowed the commissioner to "compensate" any team who lost a free agent to another team by taking something of equivalent value, usually draft picks, from the team that had signed the free agent and giving it to the team which the player had left. Fear of losing several future high draft picks greatly limited free agency as no team wanted to sign a veteran player only to learn that it would lose, for example, its next two first-round draft picks. The Rozelle Rule was eventually replaced by "Plan B", which allowed a team to name a thirty-seven man roster to which the reserve clause would apply, and all players not included on this list were to become free agents. Obviously, few top-echelon players were left off of this thirty-seven man roster unless they happened to be injured. Courts eventually ruled this plan to be an antitrust violation, and something resembling true free agency came to pro football. Now, exclusive rights to a player are only for the first three years after his selection in the college draft; in the next period of the career, a player can be a "restricted free agent", allowing his former team to match any offer made to him by another; after six years in the NFL all contracts end with the player becoming an unrestricted free agent without reserve.

Actually Dickerson was traded in a 10 player deal that sent him to the Colts.

Here is the link to the details to the trade.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1980s/eric_dickerson.jsp

Wow, nice work on how FA came to be, and why Plan B was called Plan B. And apprently my memory isnt as good as I thought it was, nice call on the Dickerson trade. Wish he had stayed in L.A., he would have put up some insane numbers there.

Wow, nice work on how FA came to be, and why Plan B was called Plan B. And apprently my memory isnt as good as I thought it was, nice call on the Dickerson trade. Wish he had stayed in L.A., he would have put up some insane numbers there.

I agree. The Rams had a better line and the Colts were horrible back then. He had one great game on a Monday night/Halloween when the Colts beat Denver like 55-21 and Dickerson had like 150+ yards and 4 TDs. I would've loved to have had Dickerson in Fantasy Football.

Why does someone always have to take subjects to the point that is highlighted above? :doh:

Why does race even have to enter this paticular topic?

Plus, the statement was ignorant and totally false.

And it's stereotype. OMG in heaven.

Why do people have to be so hypersensitive? I don't think his statement is particularly accurate, but I am fairly certain he didn't mean to stir the racial hornet's nest that is extremeskins.

i dont understand why people are making such a big deal about this tattoo. i mean really who doesn't want to get money? and honestly most black young men are raised with the idea of getting rich. im not trying to make a sterio type or anything thats really just the way it is. or atleast around the area i live in. its not that big of a deal.
That's a racist statement and is not true.

I think the tattoo is a strong indication that he is coming to Washington. I expect that at any moment Andyman will post that the 'Skins are changing their name to the "Got Paids" and that the new team symbol will be a fist holding a wad of cash. The new colors will be US currency green and ink black. Snyder will make a fortune on this one.

do you not see how pathetic and corny it is to tattoo that on your arm?

if your only priority in life is to "get paid", I don't want you on this team

Does that mean I can't be a fan because I want to be paid, too?

:laugh:

I swear some of you live in some alter reality where everyone eats ice cream and loves puppy dogs.

Do you not exist in this world to get paid to some extent? Big deal if the guy wants some lame tattoo on his arm. He's young, rich, and doesn't know any better. One day he might regret it, but right now he's enjoying himself. If that's enough for you to not want him on the team then you better stop watching football all together. Over 90% of the players in this league want to get paid. Clinton Portis largely credits himself for paving the way for other running backs in the league to make what they make. Do you want him off the team too?

:rolleyes:

Archived