Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Verizon Wireless doesn't understand decimals

jrockster21

Verizon is right! 0.002 cents X 35893 = 71.786 units of Money

Verizon quoted this guy $0.002 cents per kb. He used 35,893 kbs. This guy owe's 71.786 units of money! He owes 71 units in dollars and 79 units in cents. He was asked to pay 0.002 cents of MONEY, not 0.002 percent of whatever he can think of.(espically dollars like he keeps wanting too do.)

Here is where this guy is getting everyone screwed up.:doh:

Money is calculated in dollars and cents, in a numeric decimal system with a base of 10. Money on the left side of the decimal is dollars of money. Money on the right side of the decimal is cents of money. Since dollars and cents are both money and since both numbers are a factor of 10 there is no need to convert or multiply anything! No matter what the number or what side the number is on it's still money and only equal to money and not percentages. Cents and dollars cancel out WHEN CALCULATING since they are the same thing just on different sides of a decimal point. There is no difference between 0.002 dollars and 0.002 cents when calculating money and he could have replaced the whole cents/dollar bit with units of money.

This guy is saying that the quote of 0.002 cents equals 2/1000's of 1 cent, it doesn't! 0.002 equals 2/10's of 1 cent! 2/1000's of a cent in decimal form would equal 0.00002 not 0.002! He would have to get a quote of 0.00002 cents for his math to work in order to come out with 71.786 pennies.

0.02 cents equals 2 cents of money or two pennies

0.002 cents equals 2/10's of money or 2/10's of 1 penny

0.0002 cents equals 2/100's of money or 2/100's of 1 penny

0.00002 cents equals 2/1000's of money or 2/1000's of 1 cent

This guy keeps on insisting on trying to make 0.002 cents a percent of a dollar. He wasn't asked to pay 0.002 percent of a dollar. He wasn't asked to convert cents to dollars. He was asked to pay 0.002 cents per kb period! He is seeing 0.002 cents and assumes 0.002 cents is a percentage of dollars. It's a percentage of MONEY.

The only way this guy would have a case is if Verizon quoted 0.002% or 0.002 percent and never included the hint about money, but they did(0.002 cents). Oh god, I think I've unwillingly wandered off into the Twlight Zone or maybe even into the occult!:confused:

Units of money.........1 dollar is 100 cents. They are not the same unit of money.

Move your decimal place. Its pretty easy.

I understand what Verizon is saying. Clearly there intention is to charge 2 cents per KB. But when written as .02 cents, it causes problems in comprehension when read outloud.

It was written and spoken as 0.002 cents per kilobyte. They meant 0.002 dollars per kilobyte, which equals 0.2 cents, not 2 cents ;).

I understand what Verizon is saying. Clearly there intention is to charge 2 cents per KB. But when written as .02 cents, it causes problems in comprehension when read outloud.

What Verizon is telling you that a byte is worth 2 of what you got! This is what happened when we started using effffin money! Your money is always less in an exchange. We're not bartering and trading anymore just screwd up you no where.:mad:

What Verizon is telling you that a byte is worth 2 of what you got! This is what happened when we started using effffin money! Your money is always less in an exchange. We're not bartering and trading anymore just screwd up you no where.:mad:

They said cents!!!!! They said cents!!!! They said cents!!!!! They CLEARLY said CENTS!!!!

:shot: :doh1: :twitch: :gus:

I wondered what kept this thread going for 6 pages.

ProBowler, I can't think of any better way to explain this than what's already been attempted by several people.

Let me ask you this: have you noticed that not a single person in this thread (including a number of our members who work daily with money) agrees with you?

You are getting way too far into economic concepts for what this problem calls for. You are talking about opportunity costs when the only thing the Verizon customer service rep needs to worry about is missing one step in a very simple math problem.

The FIRST question the caller asks is "Do you understand that there is a difference between .002 DOLLARS and .002 CENTS".

The customer service rep simply doesnt realize that when the usage quotes was in CENTS and the bill is in DOLLARS, you need to move your decimal place 2 spaces.

Please read this post over and over again SLOWLY until you get it. Thank you.

I wondered what kept this thread going for 6 pages.

ProBowler, I can't think of any better way to explain this than what's already been attempted by several people.

Let me ask you this: have you noticed that not a single person in this thread (including a number of our members who work daily with money) agrees with you?

Just what are you saying? Just because nobody agrees with me I must be wrong?:rolleyes:

You are getting way too far into economic concepts for what this problem calls for. You are talking about opportunity costs when the only thing the Verizon customer service rep needs to worry about is missing one step in a very simple math problem.

The FIRST question the caller asks is "Do you understand that there is a difference between .002 DOLLARS and .002 CENTS".

The customer service rep simply doesnt realize that when the usage quotes was in CENTS and the bill is in DOLLARS, you need to move your decimal place 2 spaces.

Please read this post over and over again SLOWLY until you get it. Thank you.

PleaseBlitz, of all people on this board I would expect you to get this. Do you realize there is a difference between buying one KILOBYTE and 35 million and 893 thousand BYTES? If you don't know I will tell you, 35,893,000 bytes=35.893 MEGABYTES! The caller never got quoted in MEGABYTES either but that's what he used! So I guess the caller shouldn't have to pay for anything above 999 kilobytes!:doh:

What happened to all you naysayers? Megabyte got your tongue?:laugh:

I think everyone just realized that it is sort of like arguing with AJ about Ramsey.

Mildly amusing and even entertaining for a while, but in the end, you just sit there in shock that someone is that dense. :)

Just what are you saying? Just because nobody agrees with me I must be wrong?:rolleyes:

PleaseBlitz, of all people on this board I would expect you to get this. Do you realize there is a difference between buying one KILOBYTE and 35 million and 893 thousand BYTES? If you don't know I will tell you, 35,893,000 bytes=35.893 MEGABYTES! The caller never got quoted in MEGABYTES either but that's what he used! So I guess the caller shouldn't have to pay for anything above 999 kilobytes!:doh:

Maybe you should listen to it again. He was clearly quoted in cents per KILOBYTE, and he made reference to KILOBYTES the entire time.

Dude, you're wrong. Same as the customer service guy. Why do you think the guy got refunded and got a letter of apology?

Yes, we all know what Verizon MEANT, they just used the wrong terminology. They used the incorrect term that you have been defending this entire time.

:doh:

I give up. You are beyond help in this matter. I strongly urge you to take a basic math course at your local adult education center.

ProBowler,

The problem you are having is caused by the American convention to convert $ to cents when we read.

In America we read $0.50 as "Fifty cents" (and not "5 tenths of a dollar"), that is, we automatically do the conversion in our head when we express currency verbally.

So, like you said, you see

$0.20 as 20 cents

$0.02 as 2 cents

and here is the mistake, you are reading

$0.002 as 0.002 cents

You aren't doing the conversion right because, in America, we don't usually see $0.002

Of course it should actually be

$0.002 as 0.2 cents

I hope that helps

I do get it. :)

ProBowler I am just reading the beginnings of your demise on page 2 of this thread so I don't know if you figured out your.....I'll be kind and call it a mistake. This is 6th grade math man. DON'T OVER COMPLICATE IT!!!! Verizon was wrong I don't see how you are missing .002 cents which is the same as .00002 dollars.

I gotta think, for his sake anyway, that Probowler is just ****ing with you all. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Seriously almost 100 posts in and this is still going strong? He has to be ****ing with you.

Well...we'll leave that as an out for him, if he ever does wake up and realize how incredibly wrong he is. :)

Wow, he was sooo ****ing correct!! major terminology problem on verizons side. Especially considering he brought it up during original quote (before usage).

No way he could have explained it any better!! I kept waiting for someone to finally understand, 22 minutes I waited for it to happen :doh:

:laugh: :laugh:

My 10 year old son was just reading my post as I sharpened his pencil, he goes "he was sooo dot, dot, dot, dot...ing correct" then he said OH!! I get it! that's why you put it in code. :laugh: :laugh:

Okay. If a pack of gum costs 35 cents, you would give the guy behind the counter 35 cents.

Now, what if a pack of gum costs 0.0035 cents. How much money would you give the guy then?

If I bought 10 packs of gum

gum 10.0035 money I frogot to multiply .0035*10 wich gives you 10.035

I would owe him 0.035 cents or 4 cents

*EDIT* I made a mistake above. I am not pulling anyone's leg either.:doh:

1000 bytes=Kilobytes

0.002=2 thousandths of money(cents because ANY # more than .00 to the right of the decimal is called cents because it's the lowest from of money we exchange with)

Do you see a similarity? Kilobyte thousand .002 thousandths

The original quote was CORRECT 1 thousand bytes for 2 thousandths of money! Both numbers are already in a form of a THOUSAND! in tenths. There was no need to convert anything because Kilo equals a thousand and .002 equals 2 thousandths of money wich can only be expressed in cents because that is the lowest form of money we exchange with. We don't have a coin that represents a thousandth of a dollar. I guess if you wanted to nick pick this to death the quote should have said .002 money per kilobyte.

I give up also! If you don't believe me that's fine....I don't care anymore.:whew:

*EDIT* I made a mistake above. I am not pulling anyone's leg either.:doh:

1000 bytes=Kilobytes

0.002=2 thousandths of money(cents because ANY # more than .00 to the right of the decimal is called cents because it's the lowest from of money we exchange with)

Do you see a similarity? Kilobyte thousand .002 thousandths

The original quote was CORRECT 1 thousand bytes for 2 thousandths of money! Both numbers are already in a form of a THOUSAND! in tenths. There was no need to convert anything because Kilo equals a thousand and .002 equals 2 thousandths of money wich can only be expressed in cents because that is the lowest form of money we exchange with. We don't have a coin that represents a thousandth of a dollar. I guess if you wanted to nick pick this to death the quote should have said .002 money per kilobyte.

I give up also! If you don't believe me that's fine....I don't care anymore.:whew:

As I said before, ignorance must be bliss.

Archived