Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Verizon Wireless doesn't understand decimals

jrockster21

Never had an automated payment with verizon they are horrible, we have to deal with them for our phones at work and every time the bill is wrong :doh:

one time they tried to charge us $250 per did on our pri even though we are supposed to be charged $25 per did

Aaaiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...I don't know how both of those guys stayed calm for so long. I'd have been screaming after a minute.

POINT ZERO ZERO TWO DOLLARS IS ONE HUNDRED TIMES GREATER THAN POINT ZERO ZERO TWO CENTS, YOU DUMB SON OF A BEYOTCH!! :cuss:

Verizon is right! 0.002 cents X 35893 = 71.786 units of Money

Verizon quoted this guy $0.002 cents per kb. He used 35,893 kbs. This guy owe's 71.786 units of money! He owes 71 units in dollars and 79 units in cents. He was asked to pay 0.002 cents of MONEY, not 0.002 percent of whatever he can think of.(espically dollars like he keeps wanting too do.)

Here is where this guy is getting everyone screwed up.:doh:

Money is calculated in dollars and cents, in a numeric decimal system with a base of 10. Money on the left side of the decimal is dollars of money. Money on the right side of the decimal is cents of money. Since dollars and cents are both money and since both numbers are a factor of 10 there is no need to convert or multiply anything! No matter what the number or what side the number is on it's still money and only equal to money and not percentages. Cents and dollars cancel out WHEN CALCULATING since they are the same thing just on different sides of a decimal point. There is no difference between 0.002 dollars and 0.002 cents when calculating money and he could have replaced the whole cents/dollar bit with units of money.

This guy is saying that the quote of 0.002 cents equals 2/1000's of 1 cent, it doesn't! 0.002 equals 2/10's of 1 cent! 2/1000's of a cent in decimal form would equal 0.00002 not 0.002! He would have to get a quote of 0.00002 cents for his math to work in order to come out with 71.786 pennies.

0.02 cents equals 2 cents of money or two pennies

0.002 cents equals 2/10's of money or 2/10's of 1 penny

0.0002 cents equals 2/100's of money or 2/100's of 1 penny

0.00002 cents equals 2/1000's of money or 2/1000's of 1 cent

This guy keeps on insisting on trying to make 0.002 cents a percent of a dollar. He wasn't asked to pay 0.002 percent of a dollar. He wasn't asked to convert cents to dollars. He was asked to pay 0.002 cents per kb period! He is seeing 0.002 cents and assumes 0.002 cents is a percentage of dollars. It's a percentage of MONEY.

The only way this guy would have a case is if Verizon quoted 0.002% or 0.002 percent and never included the hint about money, but they did(0.002 cents). Oh god, I think I've unwillingly wandered off into the Twlight Zone or maybe even into the occult!:confused:

Are you serious? :doh:

0.002 cents = 0.002 cents. You can't say 0.002 cents = 2/10's of money; that doesn't even mean anything. And 0.002 = 2/1000's; that's just basic math.

When you multiply units, the units stay the same. So if its cents/kb muliplied by kb, the kilobytes cancel, and you're left with cents. Basic math, bro. :doh:

Are you serious? :doh:

0.002 cents = 0.002 cents. You can't say 0.002 cents = 2/10's of money; that doesn't even mean anything. And 0.002 = 2/1000's; that's just basic math.

When you multiply units, the units stay the same. So if its cents/kb muliplied by kb, the kilobytes cancel, and you're left with cents. Basic math, bro. :doh:

J-rock your banishment from the site has obviously made you lose your way in life. Glad you're back! Bye the way NEVER get near a stock market they will feed off you like wolves!:silly:

Fill up the bowl and slam a beer now!:laugh:

Cents can NEVER be one of it's self. Dollars can never be one of it's self. Why you might ask?, because I haven't said nothing about MONEY yet! Without MONEY, dollars and cents would never exist! If you was walking around with a bunch of dollars and cents it wouldn't do you much good if MONEY never existed.

This guy calling Verizon is seeing the "number" 0.002 and cents. He is automatically ASSUMING a percentage of a dollar becuase of the word cents and the number 0.002. WHERE DOES IT SAY ANYWHERE ON HIS QUOTE THAT HE WAS BEING CHARGED A PERCENT OF ANYTHING? His quote is 0.002 cents per kb. His quote was never 0.002% per kb.

A number of percent is totaly different than a number of decimal

Edit: Scrap the example. I'm confused now:(

The orgin of percent is 1. The orgin of decimal is the decimal point.

You can't multiply a number who's orgin is 1 by a number who's orgin is the decimal point.(hopefully this explanation is better than the old example)

Let's say his quote did say that. What percent of WHAT would he be trading with? 0.002% leaves you hanging! Honestly if Verizon gave me a bill like this I would say no problem I'm going to give you 0.002% of NOTHING! This is why Verizon put the word cents after 0.002 to represent MONEY.

He is being charged 0.002 parts of money wich equals 2/10's of a cent.

You can NEVER have a percentage of dollars and cents or try to convert cents to dollars. All cents and dollars are in the DECIMAL REALITY, wich we use to calculate money, are ALWAYS parts of MONEY in a base of 10 and NEVER percentages of dollars and cents. You can't trade a percent of a dollar or cents but you can trade a parts of MONEY. A part means a part of something, cents in this case. A percent means percent of what?

So therefore 0.002 cents is 2 parts of ONE cent in decimal form, not 2/1000's percent of one cent.

You can NEVER have a percentage of dollars and cents or try to convert cents to dollars. All cents and dollars are in the DECIMAL REALITY, wich we use to calculate money, are ALWAYS parts of MONEY in a base of 10 and NEVER percentages of dollars and cents. You can't trade a percent of a dollar or cents but you can trade a parts of MONEY. A part means a part of something, cents in this case. A percent means percent of what?

I don't mean to sound like a smart@$$, but how are those LSD brownies treating you?

Pretend I'm selling you a math book. The price is 0.002 cents per page in the book. The book has 500 pages. You agree to buy it.

How much money do you pay me?

When i was in Korea a guy next to the pay phone wrote down my card number and ran up the bill 18k dollars. Thats when they called me... I asked them next time how about 1k or say 3k even 5k would have been nice.

I was in personnel at the time and looked through every persons record on the floor and found a Home of Record for the same location giving it to CID. They gave me a hard time about it but they got him... (RIGHT next to the phone).

I don't mean to sound like a smart@$$, but how are those LSD brownies treating you?

I was just about to ask him...are you on hallucingenic drugs?? :laugh:

ProBowler, if you are truly 37 years old, and your understanding of simple math is that poor, I am seriously going to suggest some sort of adult education math classes. Vendors could be taking serious advantage of you. No, I am not joking.

Also - this guy got a refund and Verizon has admitted they were wrong in the situation. However, they STLL quote it wrong supposedly as people and consumer affairs have been calling and still get the .002 cents quote.

From his blog:

http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2006/12/response-from-verizon-getting-closer.html

Dear Mr. Vaccaro,

The Executive Relations Team responds to consumer issues that are brought to our executives' attention. I am in receipt of your email via PlanetFeedback.com regarding your data charges while roaming in Canada . Thank you for letting us know that we inadvertently incorrectly quoted a rate to you. We have issued a credit to your account of $71.79. In order to prevent any future inaccuracies, we are supplementing the reference material used by our representatives to better highlight that the Canadian roaming rate is .002 dollars-per-kilobyte, which is equal to .2 cents per kilobyte. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Ana Diaz

Verizon Wireless

Archived