Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Verizon Wireless doesn't understand decimals

jrockster21

Well I'm going to my grave with my answer!:cool:

First isn't this kind of odd this comes from a guy consumerist(sp?) who has his own website who's fighting corperate america it appears like. I have no problem with that by the way and this guy may be right about what he's saying and doing. I'm just saying a motive could exists.

Okay, back to this cluster of crap. Everyone who agrees with this guy now believes 0.002 cents = 2 thousandths of one cent. Alright does anyone have the balls to express in decimal form what just 1 tenth of one cent equals now?

Next question, If you owed someone $0.25 would you go up to the guy and say here is your 0.25 dollars back or would you say here is your 25 cents?

Alright, back to this god awful mess this guy has created. Froget dollars,cents and kbs for a second. The quote is 0.002 for 1. Now multiply each number on each side of the word for by 35893.

Example 0.002*35893 for 1*35893

Heres what I got 71.786 for 35893

Okay lets go back to all the terminology that was used before we took it out and add it back in. 71.786 cents for 35893 kbs. This guy got on the phone and acted like a jack ass imo and tore the sales reps up about the cents part on the left side of this equation. What if I was different jack ass and started acting like a retard and went off on the right side of this equation and said:

"Do you realize the difference between a kilobyte and a byte?" What if I kept on jerking myself off and said "Do you understand that 1 kilobyte is a thousand fold of 1 byte?" Now what if I stayed full of myself and said "Do you realize that for every for every kilobyte you sell me I get 1000 bytes free?"

Is any of this sinking in yet? This guy is either really efffin dumb or he's doing this for some sort of gain or whatever imo.

Now back to the BS. The originial quote was 0.002 cents for a kb. The quote was expressed in cents because if we express a dollar amount of 0.002 in this country we express numbers to the right as cents. Just like there is a reason why kilobytes is expressed in kilobytes and not bytes.

I am saying the original quote 0.002 cents per kb is the rate of transaction that was already created so WE wouldn't have to argue about what is more real 2 thosands of a cent or 2/10's of a cent. All we had to do is plug the numbers into the calculator like we have all done for the past 20 years.

Does anyone actually think it's fair to pay Verizon only 72 cents for a month of service? I actually started to think I was losing my mind over this dumb S***!:doh:

oh, and as for the first line of post #16, that is correct. .002 cents x 35839 = 71.786 units of Money. now the question you must ask is, what is the unit? here, let me bold the unit for you. there, i bolded the unit in the equation. now, if you put that together, you get 71.786 cents that is owed. if you want to put it into dollars, then it will be $0.71786, but since money is not exchanged in fractions of a cent, the total charge is rounded up to $0.72. that's right, he owes 72 cents. that is all.

This is the last thing I can think of.

This guy is trying to make a bunch of BS over 0.002 cents. 0.002 is still dollars and cents regardless of the word we put after 0.002.

0.002 imo opinion for the last 25yrs has equaled 2/10's of 1 cent

0.02 equals 2 cent

0.2 equals 20 cent

2.0 equals 2 dollars

20.0 equals 20 dollars

byte equals 1

kilobyte equals 1000

Get your caculator out multiply 20 by 35893.

You get 717860

Here's where Mr dip s*** falls short. Remember how he bugged the crap out of the reps about the cents on the left side of this equation. Using his same insane mind I could have ran my mouth and covinced the reps that 1 kb means I get 1000 free bytes for 1 kb

Now go back to the number above 717860.00 lets say this is what I was going to owe but i say hey I remeber i get 1000 free bytes so I get to divide 717860 by 1000.

Guess what I get 71.786 dollars. I have no idea if he did this on purpose or not, but there is some indications he might have. He may just not get it.

You can't multiply a percent by the interger 0.002 cents try it! That's what this ass wipe has done and has convinced many people that it can be done now in his quest for a dollar representation. 0.002 represents a dollar in some form already. I tried explaining it but 0.002 exists on the other side of the decimal as 200. Think of a line with a decimal point in the middle anytime you go right on that line lets say .02 that equals 20.0 to the left of the decimal.

This guy is convincing you that you got to go create that other number when it already exists on that line. He's doing that by trying to do this conversion form cents to dollars and he's coming up with a %.

If you multiply an interger like 0.002 by a percent wich is less than one to begin with also guess what happens you get a number that continues to the right of the decimal.

EXAMPLE! Interger 0.002(interger)*0.02% you get 0.0004 That's why you can't do what this guy is saying! you would never get a whole number or a number that ever gets to atleast 1.0.

This is the last thing I can think of.

This guy is trying to make a bunch of BS over 0.002 cents. 0.002 is still dollars and cents regardless of the word we put after 0.002.

NO. it is not the same.

dollars and cents are different measures!

100 cents = 1 dollar.

they are different.

0.002 imo opinion for the last 25yrs has equaled 2/10's of 1 cent

0.02 equals 2 cent

0.2 equals 20 cent

2.0 equals 2 dollars

20.0 equals 20 dollars

20 cents does not equal 20 dollars. 20 cents equals 1/5th of a dollar. 100 cents make one dollar. (am i repeating myself? ;))

.002 cents is two-thousandths of a penny.

.002 dollars is 20 cents.

Don't confuse the two base types. cents and pennies are different then dollars. A dollar is a handful of pennies. Its like saying 0.5 dozen is the same as 0.5 gross. The difference is 6 (half a dozen) or 72. Quite the difference.

Just rethink what you're saying. I know its hard to bite the bullet and admit you're wrong...but...you're wrong. ;).

If the statement said $0.002, then you would be correct. That is 2/10ths of a penny.

byte equals 1

kilobyte equals 1000

Technically, a kilobyte equals 1024, especially when you're talking software wise (hardware, aka hard drive companies tend to go with the base 10 figure, where as operating systems & other software calculate bytes in base 8 segments (8 bits to a byte).

ProBowler, it appears that you don't like this guy's attitude on the phone, and you're projecting that onto his mathematic reasoning. But his math is correct and very straightforward.

Your argument doesn't make any sense at all. I've read all of it, and it's pretty clear that you really just don't have a good grasp of some very basic math concepts. Not only are you doing things like calling decimals "integers," but you really aren't grasping that you have to look at numbers and units to figure out how much money "0.002" means.

I'm not sure whether you balance your own checkbook, manage finances at work, etc., but basic financial arithmetic is extremely important to everyday life.

Without a solid understanding of it, you truly do risk getting ripped off by scheming companies, individuals with a nose for the mathematically challenged, etc. You really ought to take a refresher class or two at a local school. Most community colleges and online correspondence schools offer basic math and personal finance classes. Give one a try.

I agree with mjah. It seems that you (Pro Bowler) are making the same mistake as the customer service guy. There IS a difference between cents per KB and dollars per KB. That's what the caller was arguing the entire time, which the service guy and girl failed to comprehend.

You cannot just simply take into account numbers, you have to understand that units are just as important. This is what the customer service guy was doing:

.002 cents/KB x 35893 KB = $71.79

Clearly (or maybe not, for some people), there is an error here. The 71.79 is what the cost is in cents, since there was no conversion from cents to dollars. If it were to be converted into dollars, the decimal place must be moved 2 places to the left, making the cost $.7179, or 72 cents.

did the guy ever win? i understand his argument but i doubt he will win. unless his BILL says at a rate of .002cents and not $.002 then he has no basis other than what he was "quoted". also he said he didn't mind baying the $.002, so what is the big deal? :whoknows:

Several of the analysts put notes in his account that they quoted him 0.002 cents per kb. He's definitely going to win.

I think it's hilarious that even people in this thread are trying to argue Verizon's side. Then again, I had a feeling that might happen. This board is big enough that it will contain plenty of bright people, and plenty who are not so - just like Verizon I guess. If you can't understand the difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents, then you should probably donate your computer to good will so someone else can make use of it. As for the video, the guy makes his case pretty clearly all things considered. Listening to that phone call is maddening - there truly are so many uneducated or unintelligent people in this country. He is wasting a lot of time for 70 bucks, given the hours he has spent on this, but damnit it's the principal of the matter and I probably would too.

did the guy ever win? i understand his argument but i doubt he will win. unless his BILL says at a rate of .002cents and not $.002 then he has no basis other than what he was "quoted". also he said he didn't mind baying the $.002, so what is the big deal? :whoknows:

Yes he won - it is on his blog. Verizon has stated that they were wrong in a letter- but if you call them they STILL quote the wrong price.

Archived