Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we fix our red zone woes?

Darth Tater

Apparently Gibbs said something along the lines of, when they get in the red zone they sort of start holding a committee think tank on the playcalling.

Actually he said he starts giving his input inside the 35. That could just mean that he decides when do go for it on 4th... or it could mean more.

All he was talking about was he was taking the heat for a decision that day to not go for it on 4th. This has been re-interpreted and blown out of proportion, and Gibbs later clarified that it is Saunders who is calling the plays.

Also, watching Marvin Harrison score 3 TDs last night, I don't think a big possession WR is a necessity. Our playcalling in the red zone is lamentably predictable - run, run, pass to Moss or Cooley. Campbell needs to develop better vision, and we need to play-action on 1st down.

Stop having brain farts in the redzone. False starts, bungled center - qb exchanges, and predictable calls. I'm sure that they will improve, but it's frustrating to see this team move the ball up and down the field and then they do things which ultimately costs them 6 points. Honestly, they should have routed the Saints, and beaten Philly.

You can just sense the whole team tense up when we get in the red zone. We have had so many crazy screwups in there that you can tell the team is just expecting to have something go wrong.

All we need is a little success to get that "killer instinct" in the red zone, like we just EXPECT to score.

Exactly. Just like CR and his missed picks. We all know what it's like to be psyched out.

It will come.

Sunday.

brujer.jpg

You could also get more creative with the playcalling ala Pittsburgh when they had slash. Put Randel El as QB let him roll out and run or pass?

Agree with the big receiver comments as well. Where's Rod Gardner when you need him? LOL

Whats crazy is thats the kind of stuff Saunders does and the first time it doesnt work the fans want to run him out of town...I just dont get it...:doh:

All he was talking about was he was taking the heat for a decision that day to not go for it on 4th. This has been re-interpreted and blown out of proportion, and Gibbs later clarified that it is Saunders who is calling the plays.

Also, watching Marvin Harrison score 3 TDs last night, I don't think a big possession WR is a necessity. Our playcalling in the red zone is lamentably predictable - run, run, pass to Moss or Cooley. Campbell needs to develop better vision, and we need to play-action on 1st down.

No Gibbs give input on the plays....its not just fourth down...

he said that in the begining and has said it a few times in season...

When they get close he starts talking to Al...and he should just let the man do what got them to the redzone..which is 1st down passing mostof the time..

In the beginning of the year, Portis was getting in the endzone, but there were still alot of bad decisions, penalties, mental mistakes, etc.

Now, we run Betts 7 or 8 times to get down the field, by the time we get there, he's gassed and our only option is Suckett. He runs soft for a big guy. Plus, with a young QB, we are having to scale down the offense, which has made the playcalling bad.

By next year, CP will be back, he and Betts can spell each other, JC will have a better grasp of the offense and the players around him and Maybe we pick up our own 7th round Marques Colsten.

I would like to see some play action passes on first down and some boot leg roll outs where JC has the option to run it. Get Sellers involved in the passing game again.

Or the running game. Now HE is a hard running back.

I agree, get him more touches on short yardage and goal line stuff. The guy wieghts 285 and likes to hurt people. Left him do it!

Danny doesn't have anything to do with the draft, other than write the check after the player is signed. Gibbs has the ultimate say on all personnel decisions.

Actually you must not have read that article on the Broncos website. It clearly states that during the Duckett trade, the broncos management spoke directly with Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerato about the deal. Says that's the way it's always been. Joe does have a say in personnel, but not the final say. It's all 3 putting their heads together which is bad. Check out the broncos website, look out for "Art of the deal"

or something like that.

Gibbs and Saunders have to work their woes out first in the red zone. According to Czabe (or 980) or someone from there...Saunders has everything until the 30 yard line. Gibbs starts getting involved there and we become more conservative, penalty happy, and basically suck ass in the red zone. Fix the play calling and the penalties...problem solved.

A huge part of it is play calling IMO. For starters we need to stop taking Betts out of the game on short yardage. Duckett hits the hole like a pansy.

I feel like I get in this argument every week. Betts, for all his success at virtually all other times, is an abysmal third-and-short back:

3rd & 0-2: 7 att 4 yds 0.6 ypc (oh yeah, and his long is 5... which means the other times he had 6 attempts for -1 yards).

3rd & <6: 10 att 14 yds 1.4 ypc

So, I guess it would be Betts hitting the hole like a pansy.

Archived