Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we fix our red zone woes?

Darth Tater

Against Minnesota, we leave 12 points on the field and just 4 would have won it! Heck a 21-9 half-time lead might have turned that game into a route.

Then 6 we left on Jax would have kept that game out of OT.

Although it probably would not have helped, how about the 7 versus Indy?

Then we left 9 on Dallas, score those and maybe we didn't have to block that FG. Hey, jumping out 14-0 may have been enough to start the blow out.

There were 12 versus the Eagles. These alone would have caused us to dominate on the scoreboard as well.

Today against NO, we left another 12. Again, just a 7 once and we're not shaking as much at the end.

Along with our fixing the takeaway issue, we fix this problem we'll win the division, how do you propose this problem be fixed?

Have the Skins thrown to Sellers in the red zone this season at all?...Last season he scored at will in the red zone off that chip-block-then-turn-into-a-receiver play...
In his chat, Sellers answered a question directed at why he was less productive in the redzone this year. He said:
I've kinda exhausted that play anywhere in the Red Zone. Every team has been looking for it, so I really haven't had the chance. But next year, with more formations, more opportunities for me to get the ball and it'll just get better.
Lacking a big wide reciever, our best bet is to run it and throw some PA passes to Cooley.

I dunno but I'm still pretty confused about how easily we roll down the field, only to get totally stumped once we get in the redzone. Obviously when you get close the field is much shorter, and you have to throw into tighter spaces, making progress more difficult - but not as difficult as we seem to make it appear. We know that Joe Gibbs begins to add his "offensive input" once we get close. Is that a factor? I'm not saying... I'm just saying...

I'll say this once more...we are going to get some size at the receiver position in order to score in the red zone

our little receivers are not an asset when the field shortens. We have to get someone that we can throw both the jump balls and the cross pattern to from time to time to keep defenses honest. We are too predictable in the red zone and I am not a beliver in gadget plays down there.

The shorter the distance to the endzone we are the bigger our personel needs to get

You could also get more creative with the playcalling ala Pittsburgh when they had slash. Put Randel El as QB let him roll out and run or pass?

Agree with the big receiver comments as well. Where's Rod Gardner when you need him? LOL

I also agree with what you are saying. Gibbs used to do that with Brian Mitchell and it worked really well

Not calling predictible plays. Keeping our playmakers on the field. I agree wih playing ARE at QB anytime we get inside the 10. Having the nads to go for it on 4th and goal to put the game away so we don't have to rely on the HOF cover skills of Rogers and Wright to pull us through.

A huge part of it is play calling IMO. For starters we need to stop taking Betts out of the game on short yardage. Duckett hits the hole like a pansy.

T.J is a big unit, but he just doesn't hit the holes like he should. If he hit them like Betts or Portis do, he would be a premier back in the nfl IMO.

You could also get more creative with the playcalling ala Pittsburgh when they had slash. Put Randel El as QB let him roll out and run or pass?

Agree with the big receiver comments as well. Where's Rod Gardner when you need him? LOL

I like that idea.

....I thought today, the way we were running inside so well we could of gotten that 4th and 2 at the end of the game with a quick hand-off to Sellers.

I'd like to see Nemo cure his dropsies between now and training camp. - Maybe he can be what we were hoping Duckett would be for us. - He ran hard. He just forgot to bring the ball with him.

It's just the new offense but it's not a good sign that our running game can't get in the end zone this late in the season.

Hopefully Portis will help but we don't seem to have a redzone receiver either.

It is not the running game, most of the time we are getting left at the 15 or so and I do not care who is running the ball they are not going to push it in from there at a high percentage rate

Against Minnesota, we leave 12 points on the field and just 4 would have won it! Heck a 21-9 half-time lead might have turned that game into a route.

Then 6 we left on Jax would have kept that game out of OT.

Although it probably would not have helped, how about the 7 versus Indy?

Then we left 9 on Dallas, score those and maybe we didn't have to block that FG. Hey, jumping out 14-0 may have been enough to start the blow out.

There were 12 versus the Eagles. These alone would have caused us to dominate on the scoreboard as well.

Today against NO, we left another 12. Again, just a 7 once and we're not shaking as much at the end.

Along with our fixing the takeaway issue, we fix this problem we'll win the division, how do you propose this problem be fixed?

Better play calling IMO...

Archived