Extremeskins

Well This Game Proves Something..

Bhutanibeast

Who Do You Want The Runner To Be  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want The Runner To Be

• Betts
    • Portis
    • I'm crazy for even asking this as there are multiple threads on this every week.

This game has shown that the redskins have a clear overabundance of talent at the Running back position. Obviously, it is clear that T.J. Duckett does not have a future in D.C. so that is not a problem.

But it is evident that Ladell Betts is a starting RB in the NFL. This game has shown that he has everything that a RB needs: vision, patience, great hands, and tackle-breaking ability.

With the number of holes that this team has on defense, and some depth issues on the OL, i feel that the redskins need to get rid of one of their starting RB's. It is a waste to have both of them, when the team could get significantly better by getting rid of one of them.

Its entirely likely that we'll see a combo of Betts and Portis, which would mean Portis might be able to stay healthy for a full season if in the event we are contenders next season. We'll never get value for Portis, teams just aren't willing to come off of much for a proven back these days. ESPECIALLY, a proven back coming off of a major surgery.

Stop with the trade Portis talk. Portis has shown year in and year out that he gets the job done. Betts has been injured every year except this one. That is all you need to know.

Your right Betts tends to get hurt every year except for this one. However, you cant deny that Portis doesnt get hurt. He ended 2 of his 3 years here in D.C. on IR

O yea, and next time try reading my entire post. I never said Trade Portis, i said to trade one of our two starting RB's.

trade out of the first round with our first rounder and pickup 4 or so pick, check a draft chart, it's very feasable to get four to five 2nd-4th round picks. Much better idea than getting rid of Portis.

R u saying that we should totally trade out of the first round? Or just trade down a few times. Cuz, this defense needs an impact player, and you find those in the first round.

Fred Taylor going down today is another example of why you need two good backs in this league. We need both of our guys and need them splitting time at RB. As far as trading down. If we have a 6th or 7th overall pick it's possible to get a good team's 1st rounder and maybe their 3rd rounder for that pick. I think I'd rather keep that pick and get a beastly D-lineman.

Duckett is not as bad as some on this board have stated. Is he worth the third round pick. Absolutely not, however, I hope we keep him at a modest salary. I don't know if he will accept a pay cut, but I hope he does. He is a good number three back/short yardage back.

I would rather have the draft choice back, but it is water under the bridge at this point. I say keep him for a modest amount of money.

We need two starting-caliber backs to go as far as we want to go.

Bottom line.

We wont get by just doing the minimum. Two great backs is an advantage over nearly every other team, and some of you want to give that away.

Agreed. This team is coming together in the area of the run, and that's fantastic. We've lost the two weeks before this because of

1. Turnovers

2. Lack of redzone efficiency

This week we suffered through the latter, but our defense was so sharp we won anyway.

ive thought hard about this. *ON PAPER* - you only have to list one starting RB. but this game is brutal - none of us would last a play in the NFL. Im seeing where you need two running backs.

(now if that means both betts and duckett, you could argue that, but you cant go into a season with only 1 real top-caliber back at a position that takes that much punishment each week)

I don't see it happening but it is not out of the realm of possibility that Portis gets traded. There were rumblings back in the summer that Saunders prefers Betts.

Again, don't jump my ass because I'm not saying trade Portis, but don't forget who is running our front office and the head scratching moves they have made. :2cents:

Duckett is not as bad as some on this board have stated. Is he worth the third round pick. Absolutely not, however, I hope we keep him at a modest salary. I don't know if he will accept a pay cut, but I hope he does. He is a good number three back/short yardage back.

I would rather have the draft choice back, but it is water under the bridge at this point. I say keep him for a modest amount of money.

I agree 100%. Dont just give Duckett away. I think he could contribute in the future. Keep Duckett!

Hey guy's face it Portis is not strong. In saying that he can't break tackles the way Bett's did today. Face it Portis is not physical enough for this offense. Prove me wrong with some video on offense. I am willing to proven otherwise.
Oh, I get it, it's an inside joke.

Portis is outstanding. The past two weeks are the first two where Ladell has played on Clinton's level (e.g. turning no gains into 3, 3 yarders into 6, 6 into 10), and Ladell has looked good, don't get me wrong. However, we need them both, and Portis is still the more explosive (okay he doesn't often break off 80 yarders except for his first redskins touch, but he sure has a lot of 20 yard runs in the books) and he's a great leader ("Gut and Power") who loves the skins. Oh yeah, and he's one of the guttiest players, playing injured when the games really matter, that I've ever seen.

I like the idea of both players, and having both play here for the next 5 years (the length of Ladell's new contract). Usually RB's don't last 10 years in this league, but maybe both of these guys actually will with them each reducing the pounding that the other would take as a full time featured-back.

Don't trade Portis, don't trade Betts (unless he's unhappy). But for the record, trade Betts before Portis (his value is probably higher right now anyway, given the reasonable contract he just signed, and the fact that he's not coming off major surgery, mean that he's likely to be somewhat overvalued, whereas Portis would be undervalued).

Why not? If you are so sure he sucks, How could he possibly start elsewhere? why not stay here?

I don't think we need to keep Duckett. He hasn't shown much, and we have Cartwright to go with Betts and Portis. Keeping Duckett is overkill, unless we sign him very cheap.

Archived