Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Membership Announcement. You Better Read.

TK

If this is posted somewhere I apologize. I know the rules and protocol and I follow them.

What is the sentence length for the NNT group? I was in it once but I PM'd a mod and was taken out.

At first, it would be just a matter of the threasd-starter figuring out what he did and PM'ing a mod about it. There are so many now though who just wanted us to "look it up" and tell them rather than figure it out themselves, and that's just one item on a large menu of "mod-stuff" that would take up all our time answering if we tried.

So TK started doing a "Read Me” Sticky-thread each week on game day at the top of the page explaining the whole thing--which people choose to ignore every week and still ask "whaaa hoppen???" Now, they are left to hang awhile until they take responsibility for themselves. Darwin rules.

Of course, we still often break down and help them…like I am now. And here’s an example—this has taken 45 minutes out of my Friday night just to help brother TK out a bit and do my part for the site answering these few questions (which pays zero :D )—meanwhile there’s a lady waiting on the couch in the living room ---so love me , hate me, or just don’t give a **** :silly: …I’m outta here. :cheers:

This Sunday, find the thread, follow the instructions, and realize afterwards you could have done it long ago.

Same is true for anyone wandering around day after day with the "No New Threads" tag. They can undo it any time if they just take some accountability and pay attention to the threads from staff members that say "Read Me" and are stickied to the top of forum pages (and learn/follow the rules in the first place like everyone agrees to when they register).

All I have to say is, BURN. The fact that they could do it all along and haven't, is amazing.:doh:

Burn, burn, burn to the maxx.

But, I digress. These "purges", will they be noticeable? Like, are they going to be people we're used to seeing or have posted alot? Or just like d-bag trolls and whatnot?

I thought something like this was going to happen soon. It's been getting way to aggressive lately. I think that has alot to do with the season the redskins are having though. When we are winning, it's one big happy family round here. But when times are as they currently are, people look for a way to vent their football anger. None of that is any excuse though.

What about when TK gives someone an insulting moniker like asshat. Please remove that TK or else you are just acting from an ivory tower.

I saw ya join the thread and I was wondering just what you'd add to this topic. But me being me and all, I sorta knew. :)

I read your history and your log. You certainly earned the asshat. A few members over time have had similar adornments for awhile. They can come from any moderator, BTW, not just TK. Others have lost theirs in time, and are still here as long-time members. Maybe you will be too, if you stop being an ass long enough.

And those Ivory Towers you refer to are plain desks where TK and his fellows do a lot of unpaid often-thankless-frequently-hassled work to make this site the best there is, with fantastic lay-outs and exclusive features and try to keep asshats on the board to a minimum. If TK were to take it off I’d put it right back on. So relax, post in non-asshat fashion and abide by the intent (and the actual rules) of the board and it will go away on its own. :)

I dont post too much, like to read the conversations, formulate a view and occasionally voice it - but I've been around a long time on this site.....and lately its just gotten outta hand with the abuse - its moved from sarcasm and insight to aggresive and ignorant.

I used to learn alot on ES back in the day about my beloved Skins and the game itself - things its difficult to pick up 3000 miles away - but the chemistry has changed for the worse.

Its time to name, shame and ban those violating the basic human rights of respect and decency - personal accountability.

Dont blame the rules, they were here first, and ignorance of them is not a defence. Dont like them, you're free to go. Just my view...

Avoid being just another egotistical dick with your oh-so-unique insight and wisdom that really isn't that much more more likely to be "spot-on" than most other brain-farts or lucky guesses or hindsight brilliances, or one of the stupid/angry/bratty/whiny child-mob. You still get to ***** and gripe quite a bit without crossing any normal behavioral line. C'mon you jarheads, this isn't rocket science. I know rocket science. :)

Act like grownups. (Holy ****! Who said that!) Have fun, be crazy, be silly--I often am. Be bitingly witty or cleverly sarcastic--but use it as seasoning, not a main course. Jab at each other in spirited debate. But do so with something above a 5th-grade level of repartee. If that's too hard for you, work on it.

Get off the "homers" "haters" "zombies" "lovers" "party-lines" "real fans" "realists" "die-hards" and general "us" vs. "them" pretentious, misplaced, discussion-killing, group-labeling of what some poster (or several posters) are actually posting.

Stop saying the same thing (whether glibly and eloquently, or bluntly and stupidly) in every thread. Stop repeating yourself over and over every day. If you can't think of something new to say, just read. You can still repeat yourself a few times a week and be ok :laugh:

Stop expecting everyone should think like you. Argue your side, disparage theirs if you need to (following the guidelines) but understand that at the end of the day, no matter what it LOOKS like NOW, the other guy may be as right as you in the end. At least in some cases anyway :laugh: . Don't take yourself too seriously ALL the time. :2cents:

Being a semi-reasonable age-action-appropriate human-being doesn't equal "not having any fun" or not having a "great message board." Evidence would in fact suggest the opposite.

Couldn't agree with this more.

:logo:

A few things. First, I agree that there has been a downward spiral in the civility of the board-and I include myself in that. Second, what the heck took you'se guys so long. Third, ditto what Jumbo said. A lot of this stuff just aint rocket science, it's common sense. I've been here for a little while and have barely spent maybe 5-7 minutes TOTAL reading the rules...and yet, I've never been banned. Who would have thought some manners and a little common sense (emphasis on little) would take one so far.

Finally, I was hoping Fight4olddc would get to keep his avatar for a good bit longer. I don't know what he did but it was so funny that I almost spit my coffee out of my nose. Anything that funny shouldn't be locked away somewhere.

I dont post too much, like to read the conversations, formulate a view and occasionally voice it - but I've been around a long time on this site.....and lately its just gotten outta hand with the abuse - its moved from sarcasm and insight to aggresive and ignorant.

I used to learn alot on ES back in the day about my beloved Skins and the game itself - things its difficult to pick up 3000 miles away - but the chemistry has changed for the worse.

Its time to name, shame and ban those violating the basic human rights of respect and decency - personal accountability.

Dont blame the rules, they were here first, and ignorance of them is not a defence. Dont like them, you're free to go. Just my view...

You know, I think you're onto something here. Why not consider making a fairly public example of a couple of people somehow, as a warning to the rest? Let people know that you're serious about all this, and clearly define and show what it is you're serious about.

Some of us don't ever come close to crossing that line. But a lot of us do, so seeing that line clearly and distinctly defined, while also clearly seeing the consequences for crossing said line, might be beneficial for some.

Another thing we could try is giving some offenders the option to serve penance instead of being banned. What do you mean by penance you ask? Well, how about giving them the option to actually serve as a Mod (with limited rights...hey, I'm not completely stupid;) ) for a week as a last gasp at reform. Any more offenses after that, well, awff wit ye 'ead.

This option might serve to actually bring some offenders back in line once they see how much work is involved while actually taking a bit of the load off the rest of the fulltime Mods. :2cents:

Typical for the situation, though, Joe Sick ;) .

Playboy 1972, (a good year) the answer to this is, and long has been, posted every Redskins game day in a big "Read Me" stickied-thread at the top of the main page by TK. Anyone who continues to remain on No New Threads is proving that they do not take much time or accountability to pay attention, or to learn what they agreed to learn when they registered (the rules) and solve their problem.

This Sunday, find the thread, follow the instructions, and realize afterwards you could have done it long ago.

Same is true for anyone wandering around day after day with the "No New Threads" tag. They can undo it any time if they just take some accountability and pay attention to the threads from staff members that say "Read Me" and are stickied to the top of forum pages (and learn/follow the rules in the first place like everyone agrees to when they register).

It's like speed limits. You are responsible for reading them and knowing them, they usually don't "teach" you the speed when you're pulled over ;) .

I understand what your saying........... But to have an idea as to the reason behind the "no new thread" ban would be nice. I have this tag also, and have no idea as to why........... I have sent several PMs asking why and no response. Im sure if I knew why, it wouldnt be done again.............. Im sure thats what Playboy is saying and quite frankly asking............

So, can you please explain the reason why I was tagged and mayby give a 2nd chance, after I know what the reason was before? Thank you in advance.

#1 Ive always wondered why posters at this site think that the # of post counts are more important than the years someone has been a member? I see people that have been members for 3 months that have 10 thousand posts?!? Does that mean they have a higher 'ranking' than me because I havent even hit 300 posts in my 3 years? Just curious.

#2 Can you please keep Pittman-4-2 (spelling?) around? He sure is funny.

#3 Can we still insult the Redskins? Or will that be a call for a ban?

#1 Ive always wondered why posters at this site think that the # of post counts are more important than the years someone has been a member? I see people that have been members for 3 months that have 10 thousand posts?!? Does that mean they have a higher 'ranking' than me because I havent even hit 300 posts in my 3 years? Just curious.

#2 Can you please keep Pittman-4-2 (spelling?) around? He sure is funny.

#3 Can we still insult the Redskins? Or will that be a call for a ban?

I have a very limited amount of time these days to devote to the board. Therefore, I don't generally read every post in an interesting thread. What I generally do is scan for posts from folks that usually have something good, smart, funny, or interesting to say. Some of these folks have been around for a good while. Others are relatively new. The post count and/or tenure matters little, it's the quality.

As for insulting the Skins, that's a resounding NO!!! You may however, insult Vinny Cerrato as much as you like. Dan Snyder insults will be evaluated on a case by case basis. :)

I am a member of www.redszone.com and over there they started a totally different forum for new posters. The "veteran" posters could post both places, and when they see a poster they think would be a good contributor to the "big board" they add to their "rep points" and eventually the poster can get "called up" to the big board.

It caused a stir when it was first implemented, but it has TOTALLY cleaned up the board, eliminated trolls, and made it a more fun place to post.

I have a very limited amount of time these days to devote to the board. Therefore, I don't generally read every post in an interesting thread. What I generally do is scan for posts from folks that usually have something good, smart, funny, or interesting to say. Some of these folks have been around for a good while. Others are relatively new. The post count and/or tenure matters little, it's the quality.

As for insulting the Skins, that's a resounding NO!!! You may however, insult Vinny Cerrato as much as you like. Dan Snyder insults will be evaluated on a case by case basis. :)

Vinny you are a ******* idiot!!!!!!!!! Like that?

Actually, I think everyone needs to pick up their game :)

I've never been a fan of giving people humiliating avatars, even if they deserve it. The staff should be above mocking people - I know some argue it 'makes an example' of someone for the better good, but the truth is (I believe anyway) we just do it because we can and its funny. I can't see how it promotes civility though, it represents the opposite viewpoint.

The staff here are a great bunch of guys. I think one of the issues thats hampering the effort to encourage quality participation is that the staff has gotten into 'shortcut' and 'bandaid' mode. They aren't holding individuals accountable and 'communicating' with them as they do so. No one should ever have their privileges tweaked without also being communicated with. It happens because there are too many issues and not enough staff. Likewise, on game days for example, it became too hard to 'police' all the threads, so the decision is to create a bunch of generic 'thread bins' - 'Offense', 'QB', 'Coaching', 'Defense', etc....where threads just get merged in continuously. I hate that. It totally kills conversations by making them generic, and the only reason it was done was to make it easier on the staff and clean up the clutter on the board. Members should be allowed to create their unique threads any time they desire, including on game days. How to manage the ill-thought out or redundant or just plain stupid ones is on the staff, and we shouldn't make blanket changes that impact everyone in order to deal with those that don't get it. Creating an invite-only forum is another band-aid. We can't improve the forums we have, so lets create another one.

My recommendation is that you guys double or triple the mod staff so you can do what you're trying to do the right way. It doesn't have to be as difficult as selecting the next pope. You've got people, lots of them, who could both do it, and want to be a part.

Actually, I think everyone needs to pick up their game :)

I've never been a fan of giving people humiliating avatars, even if they deserve it. The staff should be above mocking people - I know some argue it 'makes an example' of someone for the better good, but the truth is (I believe anyway) we just do it because we can and its funny. I can't see how it promotes civility though, it represents the opposite viewpoint.

The staff here are a great bunch of guys. I think one of the issues thats hampering the effort to encourage quality participation is that the staff has gotten into 'shortcut' and 'bandaid' mode. They aren't holding individuals accountable and 'communicating' with them as they do so. No one should ever have their privileges tweaked without also being communicated with. It happens because there are too many issues and not enough staff. Likewise, on game days for example, it became too hard to 'police' all the threads, so the decision is to create a bunch of generic 'thread bins' - 'Offense', 'QB', 'Coaching', 'Defense', etc....where threads just get merged in continuously. I hate that. It totally kills conversations by making them generic, and the only reason it was done was to make it easier on the staff and clean up the clutter on the board. Members should be allowed to create their unique threads any time they desire, including on game days. How to manage the ill-thought out or redundant or just plain stupid ones is on the staff, and we shouldn't make blanket changes that impact everyone in order to deal with those that don't get it. Creating an invite-only forum is another band-aid. We can't improve the forums we have, so lets create another one.

My recommendation is that you guys double or triple the mod staff so you can do what you're trying to do the right way. It doesn't have to be as difficult as selecting the next pope. You've got people, lots of them, who could both do it, and want to be a part.

LMAO. That sounds awfully familiar :)

Most of the time..... the best decisions are the hardest ones. And I find that most people do everything within their power to avoid making them.

Part of the enjoyment now, for me, is watching other people attempt to make them.

Archived