Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Canes Player Killed in Shooting-Bryan Pata DT

Gallntfox

I was just watching the Toledo-Northern Illinois game on ESPN2 and they reported this. Said the player was a starting lineman. Being identified as Bryan Pata, DT, SR from Miami. The U is scheduled to be in College Park to play the Terps this weekend...

http://cbs4.com/local/local_story_311202255.html

UM Football Player Killed In Kendall

(CBS4) KENDALL A University of Miami Football player was shot and killed in Kendall Tuesday night, even though police are not releasing his name at this time.

According to preliminary reports, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the area of 9315 SW 77th Avenue in reference to a woman who discovered her boyfriend shot in the hallway of an apartment building. When police and fire rescue officials arrived at the scene of the Colony Apartments they realized the victim was dead.

Police have set up a perimeter in the area as they look for suspects.

The investigation continues.

WOW, a University of Miami athlete involved in a violent, gun related incident?!?!?! I'M ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED!!!!

I know that's a horribly unsympathetic reaction, but come on; does this REALLY surprise anyone? The school and its athletes (current and former) have a reputation for this sort of thing. I feel sorry for the deceased and his family as people, but I feel no remorse for the school, the team, or the community.... when you play with fire, you're going to get burned.

WOW, a University of Miami athlete involved in a violent, gun related incident?!?!?! I'M ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED!!!!

I know that's a horribly unsympathetic reaction, but come on; does this REALLY surprise anyone? The school and its athletes (current and former) have a reputation for this sort of thing. I feel sorry for the deceased and his family as people, but I feel no remorse for the school, the team, or the community.... when you play with fire, you're going to get burned.

Go f yourself or better yet go play camelot with someone and dress up in some armor.

Your a bigger moron than most people on this board even give you credit for if you think 1/2 of the things that happen at Miami are the result of the players being thugs or gangsters. It's not their fault they are from the city and surrounding areas and a bunch of punks are jealous of them because they have athletic ability and are able to get out of the hood. He was attacked in the hallway of his own building.

Example:look what happenned to Sean Taylor because people were jealous of him.

MAC games are some of the best in the country Bob. You have no clue what you're missing.

As for this player. That really sucks. RIP.

Agreed Whoey...from the conference that brought us Roethlisberger, Charlie Frye, Gradkowski, Greg Jennings, Jason Taylor, Charlie Batch, Antonio Gates, Justin McCareins... just to name a few. Very exciting to watch!

But back on point...very tragic that guns and violence seem to find a way into these young kids lives.

Doesn't surprise me either, Miami can be a very dangerous place and apparently he was at an off-campus apartment complex. Those native Miami kids live a tough life. It's a real shame, I'll pray for his family.

Mass, and anyone who is not feeling any sympathy for this incident and the guy killed, I implore you to read this article written after that Miami/FIU brawl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/10/18/mandel.bag/index.html

the first page mainly. How many times have we seen great reviews about Sean Taylor? How he lived with his grandmother like he always did in the offseason after his first season with the Redskins? The only real Miami player to be sketchy about is Ray Lewis.

Mass, and anyone who is not feeling any sympathy for this incident and the guy killed, I implore you to read this article written after that Miami/FIU brawl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/10/18/mandel.bag/index.html

the first page mainly. How many times have we seen great reviews about Sean Taylor? How he lived with his grandmother like he always did in the offseason after his first season with the Redskins? The only real Miami player to be sketchy about is Ray Lewis.

I will say RIP to Pata and my thoughts go out to his family. I do feel sympathy.

But are you serious? The only real Miami player to be sketchy about is Ray Lewis? From the espn.com article...

In July, reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks when confronted in his yard before an early-morning workout. Cooper was not seriously injured. Brandon Meriweather, one of Cooper's teammates and roommates, returned fire at Cooper's assailant, taking three shots that apparently missed, police said.

Several Miami players, including Pata, said that incident was a robbery attempt, and cautioned other teammates to always be aware of their surroundings.

Now it may have been a robbery attempt, but what college athletes tote guns around? Sean Taylor? Brandon Meriweather?

I read the article you posted and I'm not trying to make it out like Miami is the only program with problems, but come on. To say that Ray Lewis is the only Miami player to raise an eyebrow at is just downright naive.

I will say RIP to Pata and my thoughts go out to his family. I do feel sympathy.

But are you serious? The only real Miami player to be sketchy about is Ray Lewis? From the espn.com article...

Now it may have been a robbery attempt, but what college athletes tote guns around? Sean Taylor? Brandon Meriweather?

I read the article you posted and I'm not trying to make it out like Miami is the only program with problems, but come on. To say that Ray Lewis is the only Miami player to raise an eyebrow at is just downright naive.

fair enough, I had just woken up and was writing on an emotion due to waking up earlier to my alarm and seeing negative posts to Miami's team when most every big football program has problems like this, and from my article, moreso than Miami. These players of those glorius early 2000's Miami teams performed on the field, and for the most part left it there.

I know Im against guns, but I may feel much safer if I had one living in some ghetto in Miami. Im sure Brandon Meriweather and Taylor feel the same way. Not saying it's right, just saying it is what it is.

Let me rephrase my statement though, Ray Lewis had his problems after college. Im sure you could name a few, so who else had problems after college (and don't include Sean Taylor, he would have won that case anyways but he did not want to be a distraction). I can give you Kellen Winslow, but that was his own stupidity, not at someone else.

Let me rephrase my statement though, Ray Lewis had his problems after college. Im sure you could name a few, so who else had problems after college (and don't include Sean Taylor, he would have won that case anyways but he did not want to be a distraction). I can give you Kellen Winslow, but that was his own stupidity, not at someone else.

What, we can't include ST cause he's a Redskin? Doesn't make him above a damn thing.

You can win a case, doesn't mean you're a sketchy individual who keeps suspect company.

Your a bigger moron than most people on this board even give you credit for if you think 1/2 of the things that happen at Miami are the result of the players being thugs or gangsters. It's not their fault they are from the city and surrounding areas and a bunch of punks are jealous of them because they have athletic ability and are able to get out of the hood. He was attacked in the hallway of his own building.

Example:look what happenned to Sean Taylor because people were jealous of him.

The players have the personality to get involved in these things and put themselves in the positions to have these things happen. That's as good as fully creating the problem to begin with.

You want to tell me it's the environment.... FINE. If these guys didn't want that environment, why didn't they sign letters of intent with some Midwestern school that's out in the middle of nowhere? Hmmmm.

They put themselves in these positions, and that's as good as asking for trouble so far as I'm concerned.

What, we can't include ST cause he's a Redskin? Doesn't make him above a damn thing.

You can win a case, doesn't mean you're a sketchy individual who keeps suspect company.

I never said these players aren't sketchy, I would completely agree with that. Most are pretty sketchy. My point was other than Lewis, who's had to serve time for a criminal act. I didn't include Sean Taylor even though I do believe he wielded a gun, just because he would have won his case. He most probably does keep suspect company, and Im sure most players do, so you can't just place The U for that one either.

My overall point is The U gets such a bad rap for stupid things they do, but as the article I posted agrees with me, there are other programs who deserve that rap more. When someone just initially makes fun of a player getting killed, that's being ignorant. Fine, if he was a known drug dealer and has other problems on his record, then I will change my stance.

Archived