Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Lloyd made a very intersting comment on XXX

jbooma

On his weekly radio show with Bram he mentioned the difference with Santana not being there. The defense actually did not play much zone and instead focused more on stopping Portis and stacking the box. In many of the games so far the defense has actually been using a coverage to take away Moss and Lloyd and there speed, and it seemed everyone was copying this.

With Moss out they let up on the coverages and thus Mark was able to pass more. The one thing I noticed is the OL was great as far as pass coverage yesterday and Mark did not just stay with the first read because he was about to get hit or sacked, he was able to go through all the reads and find the open WR.

Even when we get Moss back the key is going to be Portis if we can get him going then the defenses will relax their coverage and open up the pass like we saw in Jacksonville. The three games our OL played great we won, it is that simple.

the way i see it, the defenses need to pick their poison. get beat by moss, lloyd, or ARE, or get beat by portis. but in order for either one of those to happen, the o-line has to perform well

bingo in the games were we did well both rushing and passing the OL was great, in the games where either struggled the ol was beat bad, it all starts with the OL with this team

Guest Gichin13

The OL protected well yesterday for the most part, pretty so-so on rush blocking.

Our line play as a whole has been pretty disappointing on both sides of the ball. To me that is the key to our surprising lack of production and winning. Hopefully that will change now!

The OL protected well yesterday for the most part, pretty so-so on rush blocking.

Our line play as a whole has been pretty disappointing on both sides of the ball. To me that is the key to our surprising lack of production and winning. Hopefully that will change now!

pass protection was very good yesterday but their run blocking was aweful, which is weird beause its been the other way around all season. Oh well, atleast we know theyre capable of protecting the QB, now they just have to put the whole package together and stay consistant.

On his weekly radio show with Bram he mentioned the difference with Santana not being there. The defense actually did not play much zone and instead focused more on stopping Portis and stacking the box. In many of the games so far the defense has actually been using a coverage to take away Moss and Lloyd and there speed, and it seemed everyone was copying this.

With Moss out they let up on the coverages and thus Mark was able to pass more. The one thing I noticed is the OL was great as far as pass coverage yesterday and Mark did not just stay with the first read because he was about to get hit or sacked, he was able to go through all the reads and find the open WR.

Even when we get Moss back the key is going to be Portis if we can get him going then the defenses will relax their coverage and open up the pass like we saw in Jacksonville. The three games our OL played great we won, it is that simple.

Well you have to give Portis the ball 25 to 30 times a game.That will get him going its as simple as that.

the way i see it, the defenses need to pick their poison. get beat by moss, lloyd, or ARE, or get beat by portis. but in order for either one of those to happen, the o-line has to perform well

And Brunnell has to play well. When he plays poorly it allows the D to play closer to line of scrimage not giving the OL a chance.

Exactly (except don't forget Cooley). This is precisely the thinking behind signing ARE and Lloyd. There will be a mismatch somewhere on the field. It just becomes a matter of identifying it and executing.

I couldn't agree more jbooma.

I am going to be a little more harsh than you were though.

I have voiced my opinion on just how bad I think Doc is at run blocking often enough. But, together with Rabach, there is just no push coming from the center of our O-line at all.

It seems as though people see just how bad Doc really is at run blocking only when he has committed such a glaring/obvious bungle, that it is shown on replay. Like not being able to budge a LB on the goaline that he out weighs by nearly 100lbs.

I am not even going to bother getting to all of the previous games when he has been blown up and knocked on his ass by safties, CB's and LB's.

However, just to be fair and give the big guy some credit, he has definitly gotten better each season at pass blocking IMO. But when it is time to plow the fields, Doc just does not have the push that a 6'6, 345lb man should have. :2cents:

Well you have to give Portis the ball 25 to 30 times a game.That will get him going its as simple as that.

The problem is its tough to do that if we are only picking up 2 or 3 yards per attempt which was the case versus Dallas if you take away the 30 odd yard TD run.

You will see a lot of 3rd and 5 plus situations.

As many have said it all starts up front - the O'line have to do better opening some holes for Portis on 1st and 2nd downs that opens up the whole offense.

All this said the glaring truth is that the O is doing OK - not great but good enough to win most weeks. Its the D which has been the big let down this year and specifically 3rd down pass defense.

I like when every time Bram gives and opinion about something Brandon pretty much disagrees and then starts dissing the media...its great. Last night it seemed like they were going to get into it over the media judging or just giving opinion. Then Bram states that he is good and thats why he has a show. :rolleyes: Bram sucks...and sucks even more when he tries to be funny and laughs like a munchkin.

I too was disappointed in the running game. 3rd and 3 before the Novak miss and the o-line doesn't get any kind of push whatsoever. I hope we treat the Philly d-line like tackling dummies! The o-line needs to make a statement.

Yep, they took away Portis and wanted Mark to beat them. He made enough plays to get it done. I'd love to have Moss back for Philly, considering how potent their offense can be, controling the clock will be a major factor.

They didn't take away s***...

83 YDs and a TD isn't stopping the RB...

:doh:

They didn't take away s***...

83 YDs and a TD isn't stopping the RB...

:doh:

Please... 35 yards came on that one run. As much as I like him, Portis and the O-line STUNK on Sunday. 7 tries at the goal line and you can't get it in!!! That's pathetic.

Archived