Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' QB Depth Chart = Retarded

TC

You know, when Gibbs first felt the heat to pull Brunell he realized he had to mention the possibility of Campbell getting in a game. So, he tells the press that IF Brunell was to go down, Collins would then step to finish the game and Campbell would then start the next week. I have to hand it to Gibbs; this announcement temporarily pacified most of the fans who were already calling for Brunell's head. At least he's thinking about playing Campbell, we thought.

Fast forward a few weeks, and what does Gibbs do? Well, instead of at least moving Campbell up to 2nd string he once again makes him inactive (for all intents and purposes, 3rd string is inactive) and sticks with his original hairbrained idea. Even after weeks of subpar play he continues to maintain the same plan. For some reason, it took me up until this week to realize how incredibly stupid Gibbs' rationale is.

Why not put Campbell in to finish a game if you say he will start the next week anyways? It seems totally pointless for Collins to take the snaps if he's not going to start the next week. This situation is quickly becoming absurd. Whether Gibbs throws the rest of our season away with Brunell or not, all he is doing is hurting Campbell by continuing to classify him as the third QB. How long must this charade go on?

You know, when Gibbs first felt the heat to pull Brunell he realized he had to mention the possibility of Campbell getting in a game. So, he tells the press that IF Brunell was to go down, Collins would then step to finish the game and Campbell would then start the next week. I have to hand it to Gibbs; this announcement temporarily pacified most of the fans who were already calling for Brunell's head. At least he's thinking about playing Campbell, we thought.

Fast forward a few weeks, and what does Gibbs do? Well, instead of at least moving Campbell up to 2nd string he once again makes him inactive (for all intents and purposes, 3rd string is inactive) and sticks with his original hairbrained idea. Even after weeks of subpar play he continues to maintain the same plan. For some reason, it took me up until this week to realize how incredibly stupid Gibbs' rationale is.

Why not put Campbell in to finish a game if you say he will start the next week anyways? It seems totally pointless for Collins to take the snaps if he's not going to start the next week. This situation is quickly becoming absurd. Whether Gibbs throws the rest of our season away with Brunell or not, all he is doing is hurting Campbell by continuing to classify him as the third QB. How long must this charade go on?

My fear is that Gibbs actually IS NOT hair-brained. By this I mean that it's completely possible that Campbell simply is not living up to expectations in practice. Gibbs may know something that we don't.... Maybe Campbell is just not impressing the coaching staff, which would be the worst scenario of all.

there is nothing "retarded" about it, very rarely do you get an opportunity to send in a young QB to replace the starter where the game is not on the line still, or you can call normal plays to ease him in with a big lead

the last place you want to send a young QB is in a blowout loss where the defense is able to blitz and attack the QB without fear of the big play, you want a veteran whose at least been through it before

A team is not required to designate a "third quarterback." If it doesn't, then none of that team's quarterbacks are subject to the rules that govern the specific definition of the term, "inactive third quarterback." The term applies only to a quarterback a team wishes to designate as such for the purpose of having him not count against the team's 45-man active roster that day. It's an advantage the rules are offering, but if you choose to use it, you must also abide by the rules that go with using it. Those rules stipulate that if the "third quarterback" enters the game before the fourth quarter, the team's other two designated quarterbacks may not enter or re-enter the game. All of the quarterbacks may play if the inactive third quarterback initially enters the game in the fourth quarter or overtime period.

I was incorrect on my earlier posting (from yesterday). You DO have to choose a player in-active if you decide NOT to choose a designate "inactive third QB."

So, unless the coaches inactivate a player on the 45 man roster, TC comes in no matter what, and JC is left holding the clip board. Unless on gameday they turn things around and select TC as 3rd string. Who knows?

Sorry about the earlier confusion.

the last place you want to send a young QB is in a blowout loss where the defense is able to blitz and attack the QB without fear of the big play, you want a veteran whose at least been through it before

Are you serious? :laugh:

Please tell me you are not. You do realize that once an NFL team buttons up a "blowout loss" they immediately shift into dime mode, right?

Dude, the guy is going to get blitzed whether it's a blowout or the first quarter of the Super Bowl.

there is nothing "retarded" about it, very rarely do you get an opportunity to send in a young QB to replace the starter where the game is not on the line still, or you can call normal plays to ease him in with a big lead

Also, if the game is on the line, the last thing you want is a young QB who is making his first snap in an NFL game and have to ask him to perform. You rather get a vet off the bench who knows the offense so that you don't have to change much, if anything.

To encorage success of a young QB, the ideal situation is to have him prepare the whole week for starting in a game, not throwing him in the middle of one.

Collins is perfectly suited for the #2 role. He's been in this offense for a long time, so he doesn't need the reps in it as much as the other guys. It allows him to step right in and continue to run the offense, when you may have to change things for a young guy who may not have everything down yet.

I just don't see the drop-off from Brunell to Campbell...

Brunell = veteran, limited or no mistakes, no mobility whatsoever, will not force the ball into situations to make plays

Campbell = sophomore, an INT or two, but has mobility to make 'additional' plays that Brunell cannot...and will also 'attempt' passes that Brunnel normally would not

I'm more concerned with Campbell not being the number two at all-times. This obviously has a lot to do with Saunders love of Collins, who he's allegedly been lobbying Gibbs to start since week two. In the two years he's been here, Campbell has gotten maybe one week of real practice with the offense. They are not doing this kid any favors.

Collins is perfectly suited for the #2 role. He's been in this offense for a long time, so he doesn't need the reps in it as much as the other guys. It allows him to step right in and continue to run the offense, when you may have to change things for a young guy who may not have everything down yet.

I agree. Although they said that both were eventually sharing the reps this week, I was a little confused why JC was getting more of the snaps earlier. I was wondering if something different was up. But like you said, TC doesn't need the reps as much.

I just don't see the drop-off from Brunell to Campbell...

Brunell = veteran, limited or no mistakes, no mobility whatsoever, will not force the ball into situations to make plays

Campbell = sophomore, an INT or two, but has mobility to make 'additional' plays that Brunell cannot...and will also 'attempt' passes that Brunnel normally would not

5 interceptions is fine with me, I just want to see him get his chance. Thats all. He has waited his turn patiently and its time to see what he has. Not much to lose at this point. I just don't understand it, and doesn't seem like many people outside of Joe Gibbs understand it much either.

I'm more concerned with Campbell not being the number two at all-times.

I really don't understand this infatuation with, "Why isnt' Campbell #2 at this point?".

The #2 guy in a game is the releaver. If the starter goes down, he's the guy who comes in and continues to run the offense as if nothing has changed. This is not an appropriate role for a young QB who has never started in the league.

Philly basically did the same thing last year. Koy Detmer is the guy who was very familiar with the offense and was there to fill in in a pinch for McNabb if he was out for some reason. But, for the long term, McMahon was the guy that they brought in, because he had the better talents to win in the long term.

People here keep thinking that being #3 is a slight on his ability as a QB, for some reason. What it is more about is Campbell's lack of experience. Right now, in the middle of a game, you'd probably would rather Collins come into the game rather than Campbell if the game was on the line.

Jason

Gibbs with regard to any QB decisions in his second tenure = retarded. It's mind-boggling and incredibly frustrating. Going and getting Brunell was a bad decision in 2004 - overpaying for Brunell made it even worse. Sticking with Brunell despite injury in 2004 was asinine. Then, benching ramsey after 1.5 quarters really showed us how "loyal" he is. Now, we're back to the 2004 injured and uproductive Brunell, and we get the same song and dance.

I really don't know what he's doing for the team at this point. He doesn't do anything on offense, defense, or special teams. He doesn't gameplan or draw up and schemes. His leadership has gotten us a divided, uninspired lockerroom, and he's only handicapping the team with his quarterback decision-making. Thats a negative net value in my book.

My fear is that Gibbs actually IS NOT hair-brained. By this I mean that it's completely possible that Campbell simply is not living up to expectations in practice. Gibbs may know something that we don't.... Maybe Campbell is just not impressing the coaching staff, which would be the worst scenario of all.

I agree. Gibbs will always say positive things about his players even if it's not true. He may be hiding the fact that Campbell really isn't ready, but he won't shoot the kids confidence down by saying anything negative either. He may be seeing something he doesn't like in practice. Hopefully this assumption is wrong, but in any case I'd like to see Campbell play and see what he's all about.

At this point in time it really doesn't matter anymore. With Brunell as our starting QB, this season is lost. I don't care if he pulls a victory out of the hat this week. He doesn't have it in him to go the full season by playing above his abilities.

Last year, he was shut down the second half of the season. It was Portis/running game, along with our defense that got us to the playoffs. Anyone who claims that Brunell got us there is only kidding themselves.

Why Joe Gibbs is doing this is mind boggling. Someone stated earlier that maybe JC looks horrible in practice and the coaches have no faith in him and if that's the case, we are in a lot more trouble than we think we are now. Wouldn't we be better off playing Collins than Brunell? Which would you rather suffer through, Collins throwing deep, stretching the field with possible implications of an interception or Brunell throwing maybe once or twice down field, missing on those throws and then over throwing or under throwing his receivers on 2-3 yard pass patterns? And lets not forget his trademark "throw it out of bounds pass" when you have 2-3 receivers wide open down field.

I hope by some miracle that the Redskins make a serious effort to make a run for the playoffs, beginning with the defeat of dallASS this Sunday. With Brunell as our starting QB, I just don't see it happening.

I really don't understand this infatuation with, "Why isnt' Campbell #2 at this point?".

The #2 guy in a game is the releaver. If the starter goes down, he's the guy who comes in and continues to run the offense as if nothing has changed. This is not an appropriate role for a young QB who has never started in the league.

Philly basically did the same thing last year. Koy Detmer is the guy who was very familiar with the offense and was there to fill in in a pinch for McNabb if he was out for some reason. But, for the long term, McMahon was the guy that they brought in, because he had the better talents to win in the long term.

People here keep thinking that being #3 is a slight on his ability as a QB, for some reason. What it is more about is Campbell's lack of experience. Right now, in the middle of a game, you'd probably would rather Collins come into the game rather than Campbell if the game was on the line.

Jason

What I meant is that it worries me that Campbell isn't getting the reps he should because of the alleged tug of war between Gibbs and Saunders over Brunell and Collins. The article in the post today made it clear just how little real practice time Campbell has got since he's been here.

Archived