Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' QB Depth Chart = Retarded

TC

Fast forward a few weeks, and what does Gibbs do? Well, instead of at least moving Campbell up to 2nd string he once again makes him inactive (for all intents and purposes, 3rd string is inactive) and sticks with his original hairbrained idea.

2nd string is pretty much inactive too. We don't know what Gibbs will actually do now during a game if Brunell goes down.

What I meant is that it worries me that Campbell isn't getting the reps he should because of the alleged tug of war between Gibbs and Saunders over Brunell and Collins. The article in the post today made it clear just how little real practice time Campbell has got since he's been here.

#2 or #3, Campbell wouldn't be getting a lot of snaps during the season anyways. The starter pretty much gets the bulk of them during the week.

I think the plan originally was to get Campbell more work in the preseason, but with the struggles of the offense, that took priority.

Jason

there is nothing "retarded" about it, very rarely do you get an opportunity to send in a young QB to replace the starter where the game is not on the line still, or you can call normal plays to ease him in with a big lead

the last place you want to send a young QB is in a blowout loss where the defense is able to blitz and attack the QB without fear of the big play, you want a veteran whose at least been through it before

Honestly, what is Brunell doing to keep his job. Do you honestly belive that Campbell can't do what Brunell isn't doing, give me a break, stop drinking the kool aid.

You know, when Gibbs first felt the heat to pull Brunell he realized he had to mention the possibility of Campbell getting in a game. So, he tells the press that IF Brunell was to go down, Collins would then step to finish the game and Campbell would then start the next week. I have to hand it to Gibbs; this announcement temporarily pacified most of the fans who were already calling for Brunell's head. At least he's thinking about playing Campbell, we thought.

Fast forward a few weeks, and what does Gibbs do? Well, instead of at least moving Campbell up to 2nd string he once again makes him inactive (for all intents and purposes, 3rd string is inactive) and sticks with his original hairbrained idea. Even after weeks of subpar play he continues to maintain the same plan. For some reason, it took me up until this week to realize how incredibly stupid Gibbs' rationale is.

Why not put Campbell in to finish a game if you say he will start the next week anyways? It seems totally pointless for Collins to take the snaps if he's not going to start the next week. This situation is quickly becoming absurd. Whether Gibbs throws the rest of our season away with Brunell or not, all he is doing is hurting Campbell by continuing to classify him as the third QB. How long must this charade go on?

I know, right. In your 25 years and countless observations of Campbell, it makes perfect sense for you to make such a brilliant statement. I mean, who the hell is Joe Gibbs, anyway? :rolleyes:

Calling Gibbs point of view retarted is an insult ....

An insult to all the retarted people ....

Retarted people have more sense then that.

Does anyone else see the irony here????? Pot calling the kettle black????

I'd learn a little english before I started calling people retarded, buddy. :laugh:

I know, right. In your 25 years and countless observations of Campbell, it makes perfect sense for you to make such a brilliant statement. I mean, who the hell is Joe Gibbs, anyway? :rolleyes:

CooleyCatchtds = sheep.jpg

#2 or #3, Campbell wouldn't be getting a lot of snaps during the season anyways. The starter pretty much gets the bulk of them during the week.

I think the plan originally was to get Campbell more work in the preseason, but with the struggles of the offense, that took priority.

Jason

I know the Giants went out of their way to give Manning reps in practice when he wasn't starting. Skins need to do the same IMO. He's going to be starting sooner than later -- might as well give him a good chance to succeed instead of just throwing him there when he has no comfort level with the offense at all.

I know the Giants went out of their way to give Manning reps in practice when he wasn't starting. Skins need to do the same IMO. He's going to be starting sooner than later -- might as well give him a good chance to succeed instead of just throwing him there when he has no comfort level with the offense at all.

Difference is, they knew that they weren't going anywhere with Warner, and that everything was set to get Manning in there.

In the Skins' case, they felt that Brunell could take them to the playoffs, so everything was focused in that direction.

BTW, I don't think Gibbs has ever treated the QB position like the Giants did. Almost guaranteed that the young guys who eventually came on board in the past didn't get a lot of reps with the main offense.

Jason

there is nothing "retarded" about it, very rarely do you get an opportunity to send in a young QB to replace the starter where the game is not on the line still, or you can call normal plays to ease him in with a big lead

the last place you want to send a young QB is in a blowout loss where the defense is able to blitz and attack the QB without fear of the big play, you want a veteran whose at least been through it before

Collins hasn't taken a real snap since the 90s.

:doh: Half of Todd Collins stat sheet for his loonnng asss career looks like it in Brail.

Yeah even if the stats were all in binary he would be pretty bad. What is this fascination that some people have with the fact that Collins is so used to Saunders' system? Who cares? Yes he has been studying and maybe sometimes practicing it for years...but what does that mean come gametime? He looked pretty awful in preseason from what I remember. I loved the panicked passes right into the opposing team's LB's chest. At this point Collins has been out of any real game situation for so long that he is basically a rookie again...a very old rookie. He has a decent arm but he freaks out under pressure and makes horrible plays because of it. Though to be honest I would rather throw him than Campbell to the wolves if Brunell gets so injured that he has no choice but to leave the field. So I suppose it makes sense on some level. A subpar QB goes down, replace him with another subpar one to finish out the game so you don't throw your rookie into that sort of situation as his first snap in a real NFL game, even though my hunch is that Campbell would have much more poise in the pocket than either of our super smart veterans. But oh well.

:2cents:

Difference is, they knew that they weren't going anywhere with Warner, and that everything was set to get Manning in there.

In the Skins' case, they felt that Brunell could take them to the playoffs, so everything was focused in that direction.

BTW, I don't think Gibbs has ever treated the QB position like the Giants did. Almost guaranteed that the young guys who eventually came on board in the past didn't get a lot of reps with the main offense.

Jason

The G-Men did not know they weren't going anywhere with Warner. In fact, they expected the same out of him the Skins did out of Brunell. Warner had some good games for them and some bad ones -- the Giants just though they were delaying the inevitable and made the switch. And they pulled him when the Giants had a better record (I think they were 500) than the skins do now.

My fear is that Gibbs actually IS NOT hair-brained. By this I mean that it's completely possible that Campbell simply is not living up to expectations in practice. Gibbs may know something that we don't.... Maybe Campbell is just not impressing the coaching staff, which would be the worst scenario of all.

Gibbs know something we dont know? :yikes: Shocking. You dont think thats possible do you? I mean really all the brilliant head coaches on ES may not no more than Gibbs? You should be banned for such an absurd statement. Seriously just another :cry: thread. STOP CRYING.

The G-Men did not know they weren't going anywhere with Warner. In fact, they expected the same out of him the Skins did out of Brunell. Warner had some good games for them and some bad ones -- the Giants just though they were delaying the inevitable and made the switch. And they pulled him when the Giants had a better record (I think they were 500) than the skins do now.

Sorry, but when you are in New York, and you just traded a bunch of picks to get Eli, the pressure to get him on the field sooner rather than later is pretty high.

I mean, you said it yourself when you said that Eli was getting snaps in practice. The intention with Warner was to use him as a stopgap until Eli was ready. It didn't matter how well the team did, Warner was going to be benched at some point.

Gibbs never wanted Brunell as a "stopgap". He traded for him because he felt that he could be a useful part of this team. Now, some here disagree with that, but that was Gibbs' decision.

Jason

Does anyone else see the irony here????? Pot calling the kettle black????

I'd learn a little english before I started calling people retarded, buddy. :laugh:

I use retard or retarted, like calling your momma a ho or hoe, don't matter you get the point.

we are far enough into the 2006 season where it is time to activate Campbell and have him as the #2 quarterback on game days. Todd Collins may know the offense but he is for all intents and purposes an assistant coach in a uniform. The Redskins might as well have let him retire and then signed him for less to be the quarterbacks coach.

in all sincerity, how much interest was there around the NFL in a 34 year old backup that had not started a game in the NFL since 1997?

again the Redskins were bidding against themselves in offering Collins a 2 year, $2 million contract.

I have no doubt that Collins mentally would know where to go with the ball in different situations if he got on the field, the question is whether he has the physical ability to execute the plays and make these decisions count.

Archived