Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Reason our Defense is 31st

stp240

Its amazing. You have figured it out. Why havnet NFL coaches thought of this before? Just run more plays, and for more time! Its so easy!

heres a question... why do we have less TIME to run plays. Because our defense cant get off the field? You use the excuse of the offense not running enough plays, and leaving our defense tired. Then please explain how in all but one game this season, the opposing offense has scored on its FIRST drive when everyone is fresh?

Boom, bang, theory out the windows. OWNED.

the Redskins defense in 2004 had more and younger talent on it.

Griffin was 27, Springs was 29 and Washington was 27. All were healthy.

Smoot was here. Pierce was here. Clark was here. Lemar Marshall was playing his natural position, outside linebacker. Joe Salavea was 29 and as healthy as he had been in the previous 2 or 3 years. Phillip Daniels was 30.

This year's team is quite different both in makeup and in chemistry.

The key players are older in the front seven. Springs is older. Marshall is now playing out of position at 227 pounds.

Both Carlos Rogers and Sean Taylor have been inconsistent due to all the other changes and have not reacted well to losing their running mates.

Meanwhile the club's top draft pick, McIntosh, continues to sit on the bench while the team plays out the string with Holdman at WLB.

Holdman has been in my mind the WORST weakside linebacker in recent Redskins history. He makes ZERO plays. This guy hasn't been close to making a game-changing play all season and yet Williams and Lindsay love the guy and continue to cover for him.

Certainly all those gash runs to the right show a defense whose RDE, WLB and S are having problems. It's not all Archuleta and Carter, even though they are the big names.

If Ryan Clark is good enough for the Steelers defense he was good enough to remain in DC on a mid-tier contract.

Archuleta was a move for a player the team really didn't need.

Just like Duckett, it was resources spent for very little gain.

Offense is a contributing factor. But the biggest factor is the lack of consistent plays from the tackles. With Griff and Salavea being dinged up we've had to play the rooks. Who are getting valuable exp though. But it all starts inside out. When tackles command a double team then that frees up Ends and LBs. Then your Safeties can fly around and be playmakers.

the weakest point of this defense is in the secondary. there is no cohesiveness among the players and as individuals the corners are playing as poorly as any the Redskins have had in the past 10 years.

the defensive line has had injuries which you begin to expect when guys are 32 and 33 years old as a number of our players are. Griffin, 30, is the most important player on this defense along with Springs.

without them, this unit can't get anything done against the run or the pass.

Rogers and Sean Taylor did nothing to step up the first 7 games.

Evidently, they are still waiting for others to lead them.

The backups at corner - Rumph, Wright and the backups at safety - Doughty and Vernon Fox are a pretty poor set.

Troy Vincent ameliorates things a bit as a guy who can cover the middle of the field at safety, but when you have to bring in a 37 year old player to cover for a guy you just gave $30 million to, what was the point of the original signing? :)

by all admission, Sean Taylor's assets are speed, tackling ability and instincts near the line of scrimmage.

why not just switch him to strong safety and pick up a true free safety that can cover down the field?

oh, we had that player in Ryan Clark.

I'm a defensive player and I do agree with some of what you're saying but it goes hand and hand. Your defense has to put you situations create a short field give your offense good field position and the defense has not done it all year. I'm sorry if you look at the top teams all their defenses put their offenses in good position they do not have to go the long field .

The defense is not getting it done no matter how you may look at it. They are not getting turnovers they not getting sacks they can't cover anyone.

Has anyone here ever played defense? If so i think you will understand where im comin from. When your on the field playing defense for most of the game you will not perform well. You can say all you want about how our talent is not good enough on defense and GW needs to be replaced, but this is simply not the case

Our offense is the true reason why our defense is playing poorly (sounds dumb right)

Here is why...

1. In every loss this season we have run less plays than the opposing offenses. This means less overall chance to put up points.

2. In every loss we have also been on the losing side of time of possession. That means our defense is on the field more than anyone.

3. It is the offenses fault that defense is on the field so long and tired because of the inabilitly to sustain drives and win the battle of time of possession.

4. Mark Brunell is not hitting his recievers on time, forcing him to hold on and check down, which causes 3 and outs.

5. The more 3 and outs the Redskins offense has, the more the defense will be on the field, tired out, and play worse

We had more t.o.p then the Colts

Has anyone here ever played defense? If so i think you will understand where im comin from. When your on the field playing defense for most of the game you will not perform well. You can say all you want about how our talent is not good enough on defense and GW needs to be replaced, but this is simply not the case

Our offense is the true reason why our defense is playing poorly (sounds dumb right)

Here is why...

1. In every loss this season we have run less plays than the opposing offenses. This means less overall chance to put up points.

2. In every loss we have also been on the losing side of time of possession. That means our defense is on the field more than anyone.

3. It is the offenses fault that defense is on the field so long and tired because of the inabilitly to sustain drives and win the battle of time of possession.

4. Mark Brunell is not hitting his recievers on time, forcing him to hold on and check down, which causes 3 and outs.

5. The more 3 and outs the Redskins offense has, the more the defense will be on the field, tired out, and play worse

Well you are right that its not good to have the defense on the field all day but I believe the Chicago Bears kind of put the kabash to your theory with their heart felt victory over the Cards this year. Face it the D is not playing very inspired ball this year.

our offense is ranked higher than (I would suspect) many people who post on this site realize. As of the Oct 26th it is 13th in the league. Ok, not great by any means but better than most would suspect. You are correct we need to hold the ball longer (hello, Saunders you have CP at running back and a very capable O line). Which leads me to my point: the "D" is causing us much more harm (read: losses) than our offense.

Its amazing. You have figured it out. Why havnet NFL coaches thought of this before? Just run more plays, and for more time! Its so easy!

heres a question... why do we have less TIME to run plays. Because our defense cant get off the field? You use the excuse of the offense not running enough plays, and leaving our defense tired. Then please explain how in all but one game this season, the opposing offense has scored on its FIRST drive when everyone is fresh?

Boom, bang, theory out the windows. OWNED.

Close thread.

It has been proven over and over again that a great defense can carry a poor offense. Baltimore '00, Bears '05, 'Skins year after year it seems.

Oh please (over and over :rolleyes: ), those are just a few examples in opposite with the '99 Rams. The rest came from both.

I'll admit that we forgot how to tackle compared to last year. Last year was the best tackling I've seen since '93.

2 games - NY and Jax... but good point. One that GW should point out to the D.

Here is why...

I believe some of it is due to our offence but giving up big play after big play and opening drives for TD's is not on our offence. The 99 yard drive by the Cowboys just one example. How bout the Jacksonville game where our offence was great and the D gave up 27-17 and 30-27 leads in the 4th qtr at home. We had Jacksonville to a 4th and 8 up 30-27 and allowed a 1st down completion where a stop there wins the game and we don't even go into overtime.

I used to enjoy watching our D play and now I cringe when they take the field. If I was an opposing coordinator I would throw deep early and often!! We give up too many big plays and even though our offence is hit or miss(mostly miss) the D is even worse!!

The offence has at least had 2 good games....They are still mostly inept though. The defense has not put together 1 complete game the whole year!!!

I am hoping against hope that we can turn this thing around but going into the break I do not see any positives that makes me believe we will not see more of the same in the 2nd half of the season!

I seriously have no idea how people blame the offence (essentially trying to find another problem to blame on Mark Brunell is suppose) for the defence's terrible play. Every argument i've heard for this has been absolutely ridiculous, and more of a stretch than when Andy Reid puts his pants on. There have been many D's that get the job done regardless of the offence. The Buccs got to a championship game with Shawn King at QB, and Ravens won the whole thing.

How can us being beaten in the time of possession be put purely on the offence? The defence is just as much to blame for that.

Our offence wasn't great last year either, but we still won games. Why? because our D did it's job. The Offence and Defence are essentially separate teams, that have minimal impact on the way each other plays. Ive heard some ridiculous claims on ES before but to say the offence is to blame for the Defence, takes the cake.

Archived