Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Reason our Defense is 31st

stp240

What about when the offense has scored on long drives? We have put up more points this season in a few games and then the D gives up a huge drive. The offense has nothing to do with that!

They lack discipline and the chemistry was thrown WAY off when RC was let go! Taylor is not going to want to stay with the Skins after his contract is up.

I think much of it is due to Pierson Prioleau being hurt on the opening kickoff of the season, Shawn Springs being hurt for the first four games, missing both defensive tackles over the last two games.. missing Lemar Marshall last week, Carlos rodgers thumb,, etc.

Because of these injuries it doesn't seem as though we're blitzing nearly as much as we used to, and if we are it has been amazingly ineffective.

For some reason the idea has been to protect the weak corners by giving the QB more time to throw...?

Doesn't make sense to me. Last two years we've seen safeties in the backfield,, this year, hardly ever.

~Bang

Offense is a contributing factor. But the biggest factor is the lack of consistent plays from the tackles. With Griff and Salavea being dinged up we've had to play the rooks. Who are getting valuable exp though. But it all starts inside out. When tackles command a double team then that frees up Ends and LBs. Then your Safeties can fly around and be playmakers.

You hit it dead on. In addition to what you're saying Renaldo Wynn was a part of the D-line. Wynn,Griffin,Salave and Daniels at least were physical enough to stop the run which frees up the back 7 to make plays. Be it Blitzing or even dropping back in coverage. Its not an excuse but when a team is blown off the ball, all the technique in the world isn't gonna work. LB's and the secondary start over compensating because offensive linemen are reaching the next level. They(LB's and secondary) shouldn't have to shed blocks from offensive linemen. Hell even Ray Lewis told the Ravens to get to big tackles in front of him this season or he wanted out of B-more.

I became concerned about the Skins run defense in the Jets preseason game. When they lined up and vitually took the whole 3rd quarter and ran it down the SKins throats. The Skins brass and some dismissed it, saying well we're not showing everything. WTF? The Jets basically lined up and went straight ahead. Stopping the run shouldn't require you to show you whole defensive playbook. Also I'd get Carter and Holdman off the field. I'd start Wynn and Mcintosh. Why is Holdman still here? Williams in an interview said Holdman is playing well. What game is he looking at?

You would think if they are on the field so much, there would be more opportunities for turnovers.....

And we wouldn't be 2nd worst in the league in takeaways.

T.O.P is not the issue here, the lack of intensity andd the desire to take the ball away are what is missing.

At least that's a bright spot; I thought that we were about three spots below that. :doh:

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are other reasons. Some of them are busy engineering satellites, performing heart surgery, teaching, etc.

digging ditches, shop lifting, smoking dope, walking the street, attending NRA & AA meetings, selling blood, buying blowup girlfriends......

:laugh: just saying

the offense, which is not playing well is not the reason that the D is doing badly at all. Every team is running all over us which then sets up passing plays and with all the injuries in the backfield we cant stop the pass. they march down field over our two rookire DTs and then hit the endzone through the air.

they're on the field more because they can't stop the run, really not that complicated.

agreed. Why can't we stop the run?

Because we are not executing the fundamentals of open field tackling or containment. In short we've forgotton how to tackle.

How many times will the D ends get sucked into the interior line overpersueing only to have the RB cut back across their contain area?

How many CB and Safties will come flying up in the open field totally out of control lowering their head and diving at knees only to be juked and forced to make an arm tackle that they can't do?

How many times is a linebacker going to make contact behind the line of scrimmage an attempt to wrap up the ball carrier around the shoulder pads instead of through the center of the body?

How often do we take poor persuit angles in an attempt to knock someones head off only to wiff and end up chasing instead of squareing up our shoulders and getting our head across the ball carrier and making the sure tackle?

How many times do we make contact with the ball carrier and then go to our knees and stop moving our feet and driving through the tackle?

GREG WILLIAMS......THESE ARE THE BASICS OF THE GAME.

HOW FIRM IS YOUR DEFENSE'S FOUNDATION IN THE FUNDAMENTALS OF TACKLING?

sadly at this point....not very.

I hear what your saying, but explain 2004 then..

I can answer this.

in 2004 we did the things I mentioned above better than anyone in the league IMHO.

in 2005 we did it better than most of the other teams in the league.

In 2006 most of the league is doing these basics better than we are.

A great coach once said, "Football is primarialy about two things: blocking and tackling. Nothing you do on a football field is more important than these two things. "

Every year the team that executes these two things the best and most consistant gets a silver trophy with a football on the top of it that bears the coach who said that's name.

If we want to get that trophy we need to listen to the wisdom of those words....

...there is still time.

:helmet:

Archived