Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Reason our Defense is 31st

stp240

Has anyone here ever played defense? If so i think you will understand where im comin from. When your on the field playing defense for most of the game you will not perform well. You can say all you want about how our talent is not good enough on defense and GW needs to be replaced, but this is simply not the case

Our offense is the true reason why our defense is playing poorly (sounds dumb right)

Here is why...

1. In every loss this season we have run less plays than the opposing offenses. This means less overall chance to put up points.

2. In every loss we have also been on the losing side of time of possession. That means our defense is on the field more than anyone.

3. It is the offenses fault that defense is on the field so long and tired because of the inabilitly to sustain drives and win the battle of time of possession.

4. Mark Brunell is not hitting his recievers on time, forcing him to hold on and check down, which causes 3 and outs.

5. The more 3 and outs the Redskins offense has, the more the defense will be on the field, tired out, and play worse

I agree to a certain point.. but the D can't seem to get other teams off on 3rd downs..especially on 3 and longs.. last year and the year before, the D would have 3 and outs, this year they can't stop drives.. last year, in 8 games skins scored more than 20 points, already this year its been 5 games.. so the O is better than last year..

i guess me its like this.. if you force team to go 3 and outs.. you won't be on the field long..

First of all yeah the D is 26th not 31st. Second, being a former linebacker in high school I will say that I was ALWAYS fired up to be out there on D, no matter how tired I was. I realize that people get tired when they're out there most of the game but come on, have you seen us play with ANY intensity the last 3 games? That defense is letting people walk all over them and smack them around. That's the biggest problem - no intensity whatsoever.

just wanna play devil's advocate real quick...

1. In every loss this season we have run less plays than the opposing offenses. This means less overall chance to put up points.

no **** scherlock

2. In every loss we have also been on the losing side of time of possession. That means our defense is on the field more than anyone.

could it be because our defense can't keep the other team's offense off the field?

3. It is the offenses fault that defense is on the field so long and tired because of the inabilitly to sustain drives and win the battle of time of possession.

see #2

4. Mark Brunell is not hitting his recievers on time, forcing him to hold on and check down, which causes 3 and outs.

brunell does need work, i can't argue with that, but i still have a problem with trying to put all the offensive woes on him (whether you were doing that or not). i mean, we also can't seem to get the run going either unless we're running a draw play on 3rd and 15. i'm not sure if you can blame brunell for that (but i'm sure some will try).

5. The more 3 and outs the Redskins offense has, the more the defense will be on the field, tired out, and play worse

true, but like many have said before, it's not like our defense is showing up and playing great from the beginning of the game and then all of a sudden they drop off in the 4th quarter. the defense is looking bad from the start of games. not all, but a lot.

i'm just tired of people blaming one person or aspect of our team for us being 2-5. it's not only brunell, it's not only our o-line, it's not only our d-line, it's not only our CBs, it's not only our coaches, it's EVERYTHING! i know it's hard to grasp, but the whole team is to blame and until they come TOGETHER as a team and all get on the same page, we'll see a lot more losing. :2cents:

I believe the "D" will improve greatly against Dallas. First, we will have the bye to rest, game plan, adjust, etc. Secondly, we should have everyone back for the first game this year. AA will be able to be used as planned before the season started, etc. The "D" will be fast and furious!

People answer this question. What was the Giants D ranked when they played us in week 5? Im guessing below 20 since they were absolutely getting killed by almost every team they faced. When we played them what happened?

Well their offense was able to stay on the field for 6 to 8 minutes at a time and at the end of those damn drives they ended up with points. Their offense kept their piss poor defenes off the field so that they couldn't screw up the game for them. What did we do when we had the ball. We rarely had 6 play drives and even when we did we often punted putting our extremely fatigued defense back onto the field to yet again defend another 6 to 8 minute drive. We never got any momentum on both sides of the ball. While the Giants had great momentum of both sides of the ball. This translated into them killing us 19-3.

The reason our defense is 26th is not because of the offense no more than the offense's play is based upon the ranking of the defense.

I don't see offensive players letting WRs run by them or letting runing backs run through holes a mack truck could go through...

The defense controls its' own destiny.

I ROFLMAO when I read how the offense keeps the defense on the field too long.

Oh yeah; they block the sideline so the defense can't get to the bench. Too bad they can't block anything else.

But, on the other hand if the defense could tackle they could clear their own path to the bench.

People answer this question. What was the Giants D ranked when they played us in week 5? Im guessing below 20 since they were absolutely getting killed by almost every team they faced. When we played them what happened?

Well their offense was able to stay on the field for 6 to 8 minutes at a time and at the end of those damn drives they ended up with points. Their offense kept their piss poor defenes off the field so that they couldn't screw up the game for them. What did we do when we had the ball. We rarely had 6 play drives and even when we did we often punted putting our extremely fatigued defense back onto the field to yet again defend another 6 to 8 minute drive. We never got any momentum on both sides of the ball. While the Giants had great momentum of both sides of the ball. This translated into them killing us 19-3.

this is exactly my point. NY was able to keep their defense off the field by putting drives together against our crappy defense. i mean, it's not like our defense was doing anything to stop tiki and eli in the beginning of the game. but at the same time, i realize that our offense should have been able to do something against their defense. we have things to work on on both sides of the ball.

The defense stinks because they can't tackle well, and can't cover.

They want off the field, stop a team on third and long for once

The offense doesn't have anymore 3 & outs than most teams, if anything it is the reverse of what you try to protray, the defense is hurting the offense, by giving up field position, and allowing the other team to control the clock, and tempo of the game.

I don't put too much stock in any theory that the offense is affecting the defense or vice-versa. These guys are well-trained professionals; they're not going to be drained because the offense can't sustatin 15 play drives.

It has been proven over and over again that a great defense can carry a poor offense. Baltimore '00, Bears '05, 'Skins year after year it seems.

What it comes down to is this. Our offense sucks. Our defense sucks. There you have it.

The offense stinks because the offense stinks. The defense stinks because the defense stinks. Look at the Giant and Indy games. We're ahead at the half against the Colts. They open the 2nd half with a TD. They had a 20 minute break. The D was still tired??

Look at the Giants game. We're losing 6-3 at the half, the Giants start the 2nd half with a 15 play drive and score e TD. The defense was tired ??

I don't put too much stock in any theory that the offense is affecting the defense or vice-versa. These guys are well-trained professionals; they're not going to be drained because the offense can't sustatin 15 play drives.

They're probably more tired from chasing down RB's. :(

Archived