Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Czabe on Skins 10/10

jwebst1

Well on the outside looking in and having all these homers in here hollering Gibbs knows more about Football that we all do....Seems to me that everyone's St. Joe is STUCK ON STUPID. So what Brunnell doesn't make mistakes! He doesn't make any plays either! So what he set a completion record that ANY one could! Jason Campbell could have set that record as well with 22 complete 5 yard passes! WHOPPEE!! Gibbs has final say so and personally he has done nothing but continue to wallow in ineptitude. He is old fashioned outdated and can no longer relate to today's athlete. No one on this current roster cares about what he did prior. The only thing I like that is old fashioned is a woman I start to date! Not a professional team making billions! I say we all need to bumb rush Redskin Park and tell the organization we aren't dealing with this crap. All it is, is about money Snyder brought Gibbs back for profit, anytime a value meal at Fedex Field costs 15 bucks it's about the money. Snyder and the lot know this team will continue to make money because we as fans are STUCK ON STUPID buying redskins related things because they lose and they still are the #1 revenue grossing team, imagine what would happen should they win???

Sorry but the truth hurts and I am ready for the bashing I will recieve because people don't like the truth smacking them upside the head!

I'm not here to bash because I agree with a lot of what you said. Believe me, I feel your pain....

Another Redskins debacle at the Meadowlands. Honestly, I’m not shocked. Disappointed, sure. But I’m at this point not so much angry about specific wins and losses, but rather with the entire reason why this team is struggling.

In short, the personnel distribution on this team is an abomination.

Let’s start with the defense.

First and foremost, NOTHING else matter if the defense does not get better – maybe 20% or more is vital. Repeat: NOTHING. Sure, there are issues with the offense. But consider the defense like a huge hole in the hull of the S.S. Redskin. While the ship’s engines (the offense) aren’t working at full speed right now, even if they were, eventually, this defense will sink the team.

And guess what? The cavalry ain’t comin’ with Shawn Springs. Oh sure, he’ll come back at some point. And if healthy, he’ll help. But it’s not going to be a panacea. And all that assumes no other big injuries occur on the unit. How likely is that?

Can Gregg “The Second G is For Genius” Williams whip the D into shape? I hope so. It’ll take a masterful coaching job, and he’s getting paid a lot of money to deliver those coaching jobs. But with the secondary issues being what they are, Williams just can’t blitz like he wants to. And that’s like telling Rodney Dangerfield he can’t tell jokes about himself.

And note, it’s hardly all just a lack of Springs. Taylor has become a big coverage liability, just like Archuleta. Plus, the jury is still very much out on Carlos Rodgers.)

Here’s the defense in a nutshell.

Mike Rumph, Kenny Wright, and Warrick Holdman are backup players in the NFL. At best! And all of them are castoffs. (Hell, remember Holdman was cut by the Skins, they figured he would go somewhere else, and then as the summer wore on and nobody wanted him, they brought him back.)

Archuleta and Carter are two very expensive players, who have actually made the team WORSE in their respective positions.

And there are only 3 real “difference makers” on the unit: Taylor, Washington, and Griffin. If one of them goes down for the year, or any significant stretch, good night.

This is the entire season. This is the ballgame. This is the only thing that matters right now. If you want to thrash around the offense, or playcalling, or the waste of roster and cap space with guys like Duckett and Patten – fine. Have fun.

It’s all secondary concerns to me, right now. This is a weak defense, with no depth. You don’t take a defense this weak, deep into January. Period.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, that being said, let me vent on some things that piss me off to no end with the Redskins organization. Call these things “Lessons Not Learned.”

1. Matt Leinart & Bruce Gradkowski

Here are two rookies QBs. Leinart fell in the draft, came into camp late, and is just finished washing up from Paris Hilton and he goes out and delivers a near upset against a good Chiefs defense. Gradkowski is a 6th round prospect from Toledo. And while the Bucs didn’t WANT to play him this soon, they had to. And all he does is go for 20-31-225 and 2 TDs with no INTs. On the road! Meanwhile the Redskins have 2 #1’s and a #3 tied in up Jason Campbell, and they are basically afraid/ashamed to even let him play.

LESSON NOT LEARNED BY REDSKINS: If you draft a QB of the future, don’t be afraid to embrace the future.

2. Rashied Davis & Hank Baskett

Here are two unheralded wideouts making huge impacts on their respective teams, for virtually no cost in terms of money. Davis is a former Arena League guy for the Bears, who is probably paying the team a $50 stipend every week for uniform and laundry and is thrilled to do it. Davis has 8 catches, and 2 TDs. That’s two more of each, than Brandon Lloyd, who has a $40+ million contract. Baskett was an undrafted free agent out of New Mexico. Brad Childress beat Andy Reid to the punch in signing him, but the Eagles liked so much of what they saw in the kid, they gave Minnesota fellow expendable wideout Billy McMullen in exchange. Well, you saw what Baskett did on Sunday.

LESSON NOT LEARNED BY REDSKINS: Never pay for your 3rd wide receiver. Ever. Treat your 3rd wideout with as much respect as your 3rd girlfriend. This guy should be a "hollaback" wideout.

3. Ron Dayne & Najeh Davenport

When the Redskins were worried about RB depth after Portis separated his shoulder in the pre-season, they panicked. To begin with, it was inexplicable how they could think they were “thin” at RB. Not only did they have Ladell Betts, but Rock Cartwright can get you by in a pinch. So they TRADE for T.J. Duckett, at the exorbitant cost of a 3rd round pick. First of all, he’s a clone of Mike Sellers, so what was the point? Secondly, he’s due to be a free agent come January! And then, the crowning idiocy is that he has either been inactive or inexplicably not used when the situation seems ideal. (Hey, that 4th and 1 you shrunk from Gibbs, seemed to be PERFECT for this guy!) Meanwhile, Dayne and Davenport were picked up (for free) by the Texans and Steelers respectively once cut by their teams.

LESSON NOT LEARNED BY THE REDSKINS: You can pick up a spare back anywhere, especially once the final cutdown day comes. Relax.

I mean come on. CP was 21 years old when they traded for him, right? Lets not act like he was some 28 year old vet who came to the Skins

You mean like, say, John Riggins, Earnest Byner or George Rogers? :laugh:

Czaban likes to vent. He likes to tell those who like to vent what they want to hear. That doesn't make him particularly insightful.

Czaban likes to vent. He likes to tell those who like to vent what they want to hear. That doesn't make him particularly insightful.

His comments are dead-on. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in la-la land. I basically said the same exact thing in my thread--"It's the front office--stupid (or lack thereof)--nice little product placement :). Actually, I think Czbabe stole my ideas...either way--many of the personnel/roster decisions are completely undefendable, and make no mistake--they will be the downfall of this team yet again.

True, but he does have a lot of passion sometimes - just like B-Mitch I can almost hear it in his voice when he is just playing a part and when he, as a skins fan, is really hurting.

Well on the outside looking in and having all these homers in here hollering Gibbs knows more about Football that we all do....Seems to me that everyone's St. Joe is STUCK ON STUPID. So what Brunnell doesn't make mistakes! He doesn't make any plays either! So what he set a completion record that ANY one could! Jason Campbell could have set that record as well with 22 complete 5 yard passes! WHOPPEE!! Gibbs has final say so and personally he has done nothing but continue to wallow in ineptitude. He is old fashioned outdated and can no longer relate to today's athlete. No one on this current roster cares about what he did prior. The only thing I like that is old fashioned is a woman I start to date! Not a professional team making billions! I say we all need to bumb rush Redskin Park and tell the organization we aren't dealing with this crap. All it is, is about money Snyder brought Gibbs back for profit, anytime a value meal at Fedex Field costs 15 bucks it's about the money. Snyder and the lot know this team will continue to make money because we as fans are STUCK ON STUPID buying redskins related things because they lose and they still are the #1 revenue grossing team, imagine what would happen should they win???

Sorry but the truth hurts and I am ready for the bashing I will recieve because people don't like the truth smacking them upside the head!

I feel your pain, man.

True, but he does have a lot of passion sometimes - just like B-Mitch I can almost hear it in his voice when he is just playing a part and when he, as a skins fan, is really hurting.

In general I don't have anything against Czaban (though his comments about Gibbs last year were way out of line). I just don't think he's saying anything all that earth-shattering.

Our defense stinks? Well gosh, thanks Czabe. I didn't know that. :) Though I think losing Prioleau for the year on the first play of the season can't be ignored. He may not have been a 'starter' per se, but he was our coverage safety to go with AA's run stop ability. And now he's gone.

I just find his anaylsis a bit lazy. Citing Rookie performances after one game is lazy. Stating it's more satisfying to win with drafted RBs, when a quick glance at our roster history would reveal that our team has won three SBs with three RB free agents, is lazy. Stating we traded three picks to draft a player that we spent two picks on is lazy.

He exaggerates in order to give his venting more weight. And in the end it actually takes some steam out of his rants. I just wish he'd give us fans a little more credit once in awhile. Shrug.

we traded ONE 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick to take get a 2nd 1st rounder in 2005. - We didn't trade 3 picks for Campbell

His point is that due to the trade there were two number ones, a third rounder and a fourth round pick this year that are not playing for the skins right now.

Hate to say it, but he's right on a lot that he mentioned in this article. The one that really sticks out to me as that we let Holdman go and now he's our starting WLB. But, let's not kid ourselves about the secondary because we lost one key guy in Prioleau and we still haven't seen Springs.

I have to say while I don't blame Brunell for the loss on Sunday it kills me to watch all of these other QB's throwing the deep ball on a regular basis. You want to fix our offense? That's your medicine right there IMO. Having the defenses respect the deep pass will open everything for this offense.

I know Mark had great games against the Texans and Jags, but the reason he had so much success is because he had nearly perfect protection. When protection breaks down he just doesn't have the capability to make something happen like he did five or six years ago.

No, of course not, but Holdman, Rumph, Wright, and Wynn do.

Wynn is a holdover from the Spurrier era. And he's actually played very well for us since Gibbs took over. And he's now a backup.

I'm not sure I'd lump him in with the others on that list.

Again, if we are exaggerating, it tends to weaken the point.

amazing. this guy is a know it all, and feeds on negativity, like all the media. yes, the defense is the biggest problem now, and will be the hardest to fix. no chemistry at all with our def backs, and linebackers. doubt it improves this year. we are stuck with what we got. none of our def backs are cover backs. carlos is a second year corner, which still a big learning curve in this league. he has no leadership or help in the secondary. it is very frustrating to see these guys operate. linebackers are average. washington is the best, but now he is so busy trying help the whole defense, he cant play his game. after watching denver and balt last night, the aggression, toughness, desire to hit someone, and get to the ball reminded me of some goo old days. as for using campbell. why sacrifice him at this stage. does anyone think that he will make a difference. mark will not bad mouth his team mates, but, i see an offensive line that is really taking time off. they have a good game, and then they disappear for the next one. mark has no time to get the ball downfield with the terrible blocking by jansen, who i think has regressed the most. samuels is better, but, still gets beat by the quicker def ends. portis as good as he is, needs the off line to block and open holes, some like the giants opened against our defense, tiki could dart thru very easily. i am so disappointed, all these years of being a skins fan, and now to see this team coming off a fine season last year is so bad this year. so many areas of weakness who to blame. i guess the coaching and acquisition of players not able to do the job. i dontsee anything wrong with the receivers, we needed to pick up a steve hutchinson since we were paying so much for everyone else. another bonafide tackle on def and offense would be nice. no we picked up the non cover def backs, archuleta is really bad, rumph and wright are strictly backups, and will not be anything different. we cheap out on the real need people secondary, lines, i dont get it. cant blame brunell or any qb without time to set the play up and even attempt a pass downfield.

The defense is a problem, but once we get it fixed (IF we get it fixed), brunell will STILL be a problem. There's no way this team is going anywhere this season, and the sooner everyone starts realizing that, the sooner we can get our young, physically talented players, that we gave up so much to get, actually on the field, so they can not only "not lose" the game for us, but also WIN some games for us. Football is a proactive sport, you can't muck about trying to hang on to a 3 point lead for 45 minutes.

Hate to say it, but he's right on a lot that he mentioned in this article. The one that really sticks out to me as that we let Holdman go and now he's our starting WLB. But, let's not kid ourselves about the secondary because we lost one key guy in Prioleau and we still haven't seen Springs.

So we should be picking up RBs and WRs up off the scrap heap, but not LBs? I didn't realize WLB was so much more important than offensive skill positions. :)

Our defense stinks? Well gosh, thanks Czabe. I didn't know that. :) Though I think losing Prioleau for the year on the first play of the season can't be ignored. He may not have been a 'starter' per se, but he was our coverage safety to go with AA's run stop ability. And now he's gone.

I think that's what a lot of people forget about when they critisize the pick of AA, that it was probably made so that he could platoon with Prioleau, who really impressed last year.

Note that Doughty got some snaps against the Giants. Looks like they are trying to push the timetable with him.

As for Holdman, I think he will be in for a while yet, but Rocky will eventually supplant him.

There are young guys who could move into starting positions if things get bad enough. That's where the calvery will come in, in addition to Springs.

While Springs won't solve everything, he will solve a lot of problems.

Jason

Czaban is dead on right. Joe Gibbs has an eye for talent and has helped bring some wonderful players in here but he is not a GENERAL MANAGER. This Duckett thing is embarrasing. Gibbs says he is stuck behind Betts and Cartright on the depth chart. Why on Earth did we sign him?? This front office simply does not value draft picks and that makes me fearful for the future.

As for Holdman, I think he will be in for a while yet, but Rocky will eventually supplant him.

And let's not forget we also lost Chris Clemons in the preseason. I'm pretty sure he was pushing Holdman for the starting spot, and at the very least he was going to be used a lot on passing downs.

Archived