Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so was it a good call or a bad call

DieHardSkinFan05

i know it doesn't matter now because of the win.. but that decision to kick the FG on 4th down late in the 4th quarter was huge! i was thinking to myself what are you DOING!!!! GO GO!! but then i realized that that was probably the smartest thing they could have done in that situation regardless if 90,000+ ppl thought other wise.... i guess thats why hes a hall of famer :cheers:

Here's the deal: if you know the Jags offense is capable of marching back down the field, you might think you need to go for it and get the TD instead of the FG. But that's wrong.

If you go for it and don't make it, then the Jags offense only needs a FG to win. As they proved, that would be a certain loss. So you have three paths: (A) go for it and make it, (B) go for it and don't make it, and © kick the field goal. In A, you win. In B, you lose. In C, you've got a 3 point lead and the Jags have to march the length of the field in 2 minutes just to force overtime. Given that you're playing a very good defense and it's more than a Mark Brunell dive for the first down, I think you kick it in that situation.

When Joe Gibbs is coach, he kicks a FG 10 times out of 10, in those situations.

You are absolutely correct, and I hated it! Thank God Santana Moss saved his *****! Yeah #89, won the toss too!!!

Guess that's why JG is the coach and I'm not!

:gaintsuck

I think it was the safest call. The "Joe Gibbs call". We played it like Gibbs wanted. End of the 4th quarter we went run for run grinding down the clock eating up time. Wearing the defense out on the field. The scariest part was having Hall kick the field goal. From there it was down hill. If our "D" couldn't stop em then we go into overtime and I'm sure Gibbs new their "D" had to be tired. So we had the advantage. True Gibbs Style. Hats off to you Joe Gibbs!

You have to kick the Fg in that situation, I have no problem with that. We definately should have gotten a yard on that 3rd and 1 though, considering how we had been running up to that point. That was the only dissapointing part of that situation.

I was at the stadium and know that they reviewed the spot of the ball, but never saw a measurement. I was surprised that the Redskins didn't ask for a measurement. I know that it was 4th and 1, but exactly how long that "1" is goes a long way in how I would decide. If it was less than half a yard, I'd be inclined to go with a QB sneak. If it was more, you definitely should take the points. How far away was it , anyway?

Typical "chicken-ball" call by Gibbs. I would have gone for it by putting Portis in to let the Jags think he was gonna get it ... then run the QB sneak. Everyone knew Letfwich would go down the field with 2 minutes left and they would kick a 3-pointer at least. Geeez ... I wish Gibbs had bigger balls.

Typical "chicken-ball" call by Gibbs. I would have gone for it by putting Portis in to let the Jags think he was gonna get it ... then run the QB sneak. Everyone knew Letfwich would go down the field with 2 minutes left and they would kick a 3-pointer at least. Geeez ... I wish Gibbs had bigger balls.

bigger balls? we won! to many things could have gone wrong if they went for it... for one we may not have gotten the first down.. not only that but if we did make the first we could have had a turnover or something... but i guess if they kicked the fg to tie.. then went in to overtime and loss.. u would hear ppl say " he should have gone for it" :doh: but in that situation u have to kick the fg!

Archived