Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosie O’Donnell: ‘Radical Christianity is Just as Threatening as Radical Islam’

StevieInferior

America is a wonderful country anyone can voice their opinion and the rest of us can sit back and be entertained. In this situation entertained by a fat ugly dyke who insists on showing the entire country just how ignorant she is.

Oh but we're such a much more inclusive group than your comment implies. Fat, skinny, ugly, attractive, dyke, straight, righty, lefty, all, and so many more, joined together by the common bond of prideful ignorance and celebrating small-souled thoughts wherever someone will listen. Hallelujah. :laugh:

exactly, radical christianity moved on. they used to be a real threat in oh, let's say... the crusades. but nowadays, what we consider to be extreme christianity used to be mild christianity. they have adapted to societal changes.

Widespread radical Christianity (in the historical sense) has moved on but there still are quite a few nuts out there who don't wield enough power to be a threat. Nonetheless, even the milder forms of what we consider "radical" still represents a threat to certain aspects of our lives. Anyone who believes they have any authority over anyone else explicitly because they believe they hold the moral highground (as declared by their own personal faith), is going to be problematic. We see this a lot in politics, y'know...

Of course, radical Islam poses much more of an immediate and physical threat to our well-being.

Hey Rosie, go get hit by a bus.

That wasn't a very Christian comment :rolleyes:

I was going to let the bitter comment pass, but since rebornempowered already went there, I'll note that much if not most of the world's greatest music, art, architecture, and literature were created by people of faith in honor of whatever religion they followed. I guess it all depends on how one defines civilization.

I was going to let the bitter comment pass, but since rebornempowered already went there, I'll note that much if not most of the world's greatest music, art, architecture, and literature were created by people of faith in honor of whatever religion they followed. I guess it all depends on how one defines civilization.

I call Bull****.

I was trying to remind a friend of mine today that it's important to remember to fight against a bias to only see the "bad" in organized religion. While I wouldn’t characterize it quite like Techboy did, many wonderful things are done in honor of religion. So many values, beliefs and behaviors that most of us deem positive, even though they may be completely accessible via a secular approach, are taught, encouraged, and emphasized by most all religions. And so, too, are there many contributions made to civilization. It would seem too obvious to need to be pointed out, but some are so used to noting only the negative it takes an act of will to let go of the bias. This guy I refer to is a very intelligent and good person, but his first reaction to finding out his very bright three 1/2 year old daughter's Montessori school has a Christian theme due to it's particular owners was negative and concerned. After a bit of calming and looking at the options rationally, he subdued his prejudice and became willing to wait and see. One of things I said to him after we picked her up was "they seem pretty nice, not at all like a bunch of militant radicals." :laugh:

all of that is completely opinional, and the comment made before was about radical/extremist religion, not religion in general. he's not dissing all christians or all muslims, just the crazies who go out in the middle of a college campus screaming "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL! YOU'RE ALL SINNERS! I'M A SINNER TOO, BUT SO ARE YOU! JOIN US AND DELEIVER THE MESSAGE OF JESUS!" (that just happened at GMU today)

That wasn't a very Christian comment :rolleyes:

Neither is comparing someone who might put a cross in public view and hurt someone's wittle feewings to someone who would fly a plane into a building.

Her comment, and mine too, were assinine. The difference is, I was joking and she's a nutbag.

Yeah, all those hospitals Christians built, you know the ones with St. in front of their names, they really stunted the growth of civilization. :doh:

Question for you, why do they call it the "Dark Ages"? What role did Christianity have on modern civilization, and did man benefit from it?

I look at things in terms of a cost benefit ratio. Is society, as a whole, better off because of religion, or worse off because of religion. Do religious good deeds outweigh religious misdeeds? Is the cost to society worth having religion around?

It isn't as straight forward answer as you would think. Religion stifles knowledge all the time. Take stem cells as the latest battleground, there is a strong push to stifle science in the name of religion, and is the cost to society worth the good deeds having a religion does?

These are deep philosophical questions, and personally, I believe that religion is more of a cost on society then a benefit. I look at how society and technology has progressed, and what the roadblocks were to keep technology and society from progressing. Then trying to think if these roadblocks (or wars in some instances) are worse then the good that comes out of religion.

Opportunity costs on society. . . good or bad.

I don't deny some great things come from religion, I also do recognize how man has USED religion to manipulate people (see Constantine). It is coming to an understanding of which is a greater benefit to society as a whole. . .

I look at things in terms of a cost benefit ratio. Is society, as a whole, better off because of religion, or worse off because of religion. Do religious good deeds outweigh religious misdeeds? Is the cost to society worth having religion around?

IMO the world is much better off because of religion, you cannot attempt to put a value on moral and ethical guidelines for millions of people. Personally I am agnostic but I have grown to understand the importance of religion for many in this world. For us it is easier to live an ethical moral life just using reason and common sense then it is for others. Unfortunately too many need religion to guide them, I wouldnt underestimate the good it has done.

You may be right. If that is the case, then why are we paying any attention at all?

Because like so many opinionated celebs on talkshows and radio - they are given a front so that people will watch/listen. Why else would the View bring her in - they knew that she would ruffle Hasselgrinch up.

If you ask me, if you disagree with her so much - the best method to stifle her would be to ignore her completely. I try to do that with the best of best of the hatemongers and idiots - although sometimes one's patience does get tested.

IMO the world is much better off because of religion, you cannot attempt to put a value on moral and ethical guidelines for millions of people. Personally I am agnostic but I have grown to understand the importance of religion for many in this world. For us it is easier to live an ethical moral life just using reason and common sense then it is for others. Unfortunately too many need religion to guide them, I wouldnt underestimate the good it has done.

But do you NEED a religion to have moral or ethical boundaries? I personally think you do not need religion to tell the difference between right or wrong. In fact, I think that sometimes religion blurrs the definition of moral boundaries.

Is hate a morally good or a morally bad emotion to possess? Now, look at who professes hate the loudest, it is usually your whacked out extreme religions, or your extreme fanatics. Look at where the hate towards homosexuals comes from, or the hate of Muslims. It is often the extreme religious zealots who are the ones that hate the most, while the non religious obide to their own moral standards. I personally don't need a book to tell me it is not nice to kill someone, maybe someone else is different, but it isn;t as if you can ONLY be moral if you are religious.

As I mentioned before, I think the advancement of sociological and ethical boundaries is hampered often by religion, and I believe as a whole, over its entirety, religion has done more disservice to humanity then a millennium of charity could ever bring.

Question for you, why do they call it the "Dark Ages"? What role did Christianity have on modern civilization, and did man benefit from it?

It isn't as straight forward answer as you would think. Religion stifles knowledge all the time. Take stem cells as the latest battleground, there is a strong push to stifle science in the name of religion, and is the cost to society worth the good deeds having a religion does?

These are deep philosophical questions, and personally, I believe that religion is more of a cost on society then a benefit. I look at how society and technology has progressed, and what the roadblocks were to keep technology and society from progressing. Then trying to think if these roadblocks (or wars in some instances) are worse then the good that comes out of religion.

Opportunity costs on society. . . good or bad.

I don't deny some great things come from religion, I also do recognize how man has USED religion to manipulate people (see Constantine). It is coming to an understanding of which is a greater benefit to society as a whole. . .

Who founded several Colleges and Univ in the US some of which are the best schools in the World (ie Harvard)? Those blasted Christians did with their stifling of knowledge and all!!!

Perhaps overstatement would be more fair. And I can promise you he won't count John Tesch in the music category.

Overstatement? Bach, Beethoven, the Sistine Chapel, the Haggia Sophia, the Pantheon, John Tesch... these are all brilliant... ;)

P.S. There was a definite Western European pre-1800's Classicist bent to my statement. This is what arises when one takes yearly trips to Europe with a wife who is a European history buff (especially Rome and Tudor England).

I still question whether O'Donnell was saying what so many of you assume she was saying.

Actually, my first reaction was exactly yours... that she is saying that radical Christians, though less physically dangerous, are far more prevalent in the U.S. than radical Muslims, and thus a more immediate threat. I'd liken it to saying that cholesterol is more dangerous than a massive asteroid striking the Earth, not because it's more deadly, but because of its proximity. The only question would be how she is defining radical.

I didn't comment because I don't actually care what Rosie O'Donnell thinks.

Archived